Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

CA Motorcycle Noise Law, SB435

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
CA Motorcycle Noise Law, SB435

Front page article today in The Orange County Register is headlined, "State bill would muffle the roar, Measure reaches governor to fine motorcyclists who modify exhausts".

This prompted me to put the street baffles back into my slip-ons before riding today, after running without them for the last couple months. I did that figuring that many had seen the article, and I didn't want to add fuel to the fire.

The article, with 2 photos and a diagram of the inner ear, focused mainly on Harleys. But the law states that motorcyclists would be required to post a visible , unaltered EPA stamp to confirm the exhaust system is clean-burning and does not exceed 80 decibels. The stamp would be required only for motorcycles and aftermarket parts made after 2013. "Citations would only be issued if a rider is stopped for another violation." There are currently 826,000 motorcycles registered in California.

This morning, before I took off to ride Ortega Highway, I washed my Tacoma (rare happening). The leaf blower used by the gardener at the house behind mine was making more noise than most Harleys, and was creating particulate pollution which would stay in the air for some time. Plus I could smell major Hydrocarbon emissions from over 50 feet away. Can't go after those gardeners though.

The Governator has until September 30 to sign it...and he rides a Harley. But I'm guessing he's going to sign it.