Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Next Bike: VFR or VTR

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
ok, I have to weigh in here. You can tour each. One is better than the other as far as its OEM outfitting, but...

when is the last time that you sat on a bike for more than 150 miles comfortably.
I am doing 700 in one day and a 3000 miles in 5 days coming up, hawk is doing the work. If you don't like the seat, corbin!
I have done Lake michigan, lake superior, and many other multiple tank/camping trips with the hawk.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Bill, I don't think it's just about the seat - it's about the riding style. When I am on the Superhawk I am much more likely to throw her about a bit more than the VFR. After a day of throwing the Superhawk around I am a whipped puppy - satisfied and smiling but beat.

The Interceptor just knows where the road is and sort of drives itself. It's very good about finding its groove.

You are right. Neither stock seat is worth a ****.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
my *** is going to be hamburger
Old 07-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
You guys think a VFR/VTR seat is bad? You should ride my CBR!! haha

You all are spoiled!

Actually, I took the wife out on a ride today on the VFR and it reminded me of what I really like about the Superhawk:

The THROTTLE RESPONSE! The Viffer is like an on/off switch at small throttle openings. Lurchy. (Is that a word?) It takes extra care to be smooth, especially with a passenger.

The 'Hawk on the other hand, is just "smoove...lyke budda", especially when trailing the throttle, and picks up nicely with loads of deep, smooth, V-twin grunt.

Personally, I think the seats on the two bikes are about the same, and I can put in a day-ride on either (actually, on my CBR too) without much of a problem.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
If I'm going a 100 miles out for lunch - straight shot out - I'll be on my 97VFR.
I don't think I've ever taken a ride on the 'hawk that was less than 100 miles, except to work.

Usually it takes ~200mi in the canyons to get it out of my system.

About the only other thing I'd change about my VTR now is modify the seat tray to hold more ****, and add a 2nd helmet hook. 98s only have one.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 07-30-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
jbaxx, you are exactly correct about the throttle response and that's why I described them as "short" machines and "long machines".

The VFR is much better when you can role into the turn about 3k in 3rd and roll out and move up through the gears as the road allows. This is easy for me. I am not comfortable doing that 2-up on the Superhawk.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I guess YMMV. I am weightless, so that may be a big factor, I won't argue about mpg anymore. Gotta go and refill my hydrogen backpack now...
I'm just jealous that you get such good mileage.

Last edited by killer5280; 07-30-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Squid

synpse is on a distinguished road
Hmm.. still haven't made a purchase yet. Just added another to my list: 2003 Aprilia Falco.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Back Marker

Liquidogged is on a distinguished road
Ahh, the Falco. I always wanted one of those, or a Tuono. I think Falcos are some of the most underappreciated, and best looking bikes made in the last ten years. But I couldn't afford one, and found a good deal on the superhawk.

Here is a little perspective on touring, comfort, etc:

I bought my hawk last September from a guy in Texas while I was still living in Asia. I flew Bangkok to Houston to pick up the bike in October. I rode the bike from Texas to DC, and then from DC to Chicago. Some features of my bike:

- total salvage job with no original body work from the tank forward
- jury-rigged headlight setup that would drain the battery in 30 seconds of being turned one without the engine running
- no speedometer or instruments of any kind
- no mirrors (I have since added bar-end napoleons)
- stock seat
- at least it had pretty new tires and devil high mounts

I also had a backpack on with about 35 pounds of crap in it. Were it not for that backpack, I think the hawk would've been perfect for the trip, even with its lack of speedo, etc. I've wanted a VFR in the past largely for the do it all capability, but I really think the VTR is the do it all king. I was getting at least 40mpg (counting miles between destinations) and the bike is a blast to ride. A lot of being able to ride a bike for distance is being in good physical condition. If you aren't in good shape, no bike will be fun to ride for very long. A hundred miles is as long as I want to ride before taking a break anyways. As for passengers it comes down to seat and riding style. Get a comfy seat and don't get crazy with the throttle and they'll be fine.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Squid

synpse is on a distinguished road
Yeah... the deal I'm looking at is $500-$1,000 more than a Superhawk of the same year.. with 400 miles on the bike, total.

I just read your other post in the thread about the Harleys. After doing a 1500 mile PA to FL trip a couple months ago.. hell no!! I won't ride with a back pack. bungee cords are cheap. Rest areas are about 40 miles apart.. and the view of an upside-down tree while laying ontop of a picnic table is priceless. Just as priceless as throwing leathers on the ground in Florida. (after I got my arms un-stuck from the sleeves, damn sweat).

I think I'm pretty much sold on this Falco. It's no Mille.. but pretty damn close. And for $5k, and 400 miles.. hell yes!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jbaxx
You guys think a VFR/VTR seat is bad? You should ride my CBR!! haha

You all are spoiled!
Ya damn right,that thing is about 1/4" thick!

I've owned a '98 VFR, '04 VFR and 2 VTR's. The VTR's spank them in almost every category.The VFR's did get consistently better gas mileage and had better range due to a larger tank. But what good is a larger tank going to do you when the people you are riding with have to stop every 100 miles anyway? Plus, I like getting off the bike for 5 min. every 120- 140 miles, feels nice to stretch the legs, ya know? Bottom line, IMO the VTR is a much funner bike to own, ride and maintain... isn't that what motorcycling is all about?

Last edited by inderocker; 08-09-2009 at 11:48 PM.