Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related
View Poll Results: Avatar: Should it stay or should it go?
Change it - it's too offensive
8.16%
Keep it - it's not offensive to me
91.84%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Avatar: Should it stay or should it go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Avatar: Should it stay or should it go?

As a site member since 09/2005 I have had a few avatars. But the one I have had the longest and has been up for years is now up for poll. Yes that's right, you get to decide by votes if it stays as is or gets changed.

If your offended, I'll change it to something soft and fluffy.

If your not offended, I'll leave it just the way it is.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:15 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
self-government begins with self. when a responsible person gets with child then they must get responsible for them as well. keep it.

Last edited by LineArrayNut; 08-01-2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: huked on fonics wurked 4 me
Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
I say keep it. Speeking as a parent of 2 girls (6 yo & 11 yo), it is up to the parent to monitor what there child is looking at on the internet or television. I have parental control set up on both my computer and T.V. When the try to watch something that activates the parental lock they have to come get me, if I approve than I will unlock it for them and if not than they are out of luck. This whole idea that there is to much offensive material on internet and t.v. is ridiculous, if you don't like it, don't watch it! it is your decision what you see or don't see not everyone else's job to control what you or your child is viewing!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Ottawa, Ont.
Squid

Riff is on a distinguished road
Re: the current GIF, what is your point? What are you trying to say about yourself, does it need to be said, and said here? If after this self-assessment you decide your message is important, then go ahead and keep it. Our userid, avatar, caption, and signature block all serve as a form of introduction to the membership. We put there the little we want others to know about us.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Unless I am mistaken - This is a forum for adults, not kids 10 and under.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
Originally Posted by Riff
Re: the current GIF, what is your point?
Point is, two out of (??) members have said that they found the avatar offensive after having up for several years. So, I decided to poll and ask if everyone found it offensive. If so, I will remove. If not, I'll leave it. I am only putting it up for poll because others have chimmed in their opinion in another thread.

My avatar and caption is tonge in cheek. If you met me in person, I do not look like a Don Juan or **** star nor do I act like one. Rather conservative I'd say and others that know me would too. My expression with the avatar is a joke. Not that one has to get it, but it is a joke.

So, to see where this goes.... should it stay or should it go?

PS: I did receive a PM about this topic. Thank you.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:06 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
with that avatar? you are going to hell most likely. at this point it doesn't matter if you change it or not. I think the damage is done, so I would just keep it

seriously? personally I could care less. it is the kind of image that says something about you - and if you are comfortable with what its saying about you keep it. you are asking for opinions, so maybe you aren't. internal conflict is bad for your health
Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
this issue reminds me of the american bike mags and the bitching and moaning that goes on when people write in about ads that were a little too racy for them. I guess its our puritanical roots coming out. bike culture isn't sunday school. we go fast, we take risks, we scare people. frankly, one of my favorite things about the brit mags is that they sometimes have a centerfold with a hot bike. I only wish the US mags had that. this whole sport should be rated mature.(sportbike riding) there is very little that is appropriate for little kids. so why should we try to hold ourselves to disney standards? if the culture that comes with riding doesn't suit you, then either accept and endure, or find yourself a more appropriate sport like golf, or croquette, or horseback riding. something where the women all wear entirely too much clothing. yay, pretty horsey!!! I hate puritans.

Last edited by swordfish; 07-31-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

swordfish
So you're saying that YOUR opinion is that scantily clad women come with the image of motorcyling.

No everyone shares that opinion.

It's not suprising there aren't more women in motorcycling as long as motorcycling has an image/sterotype of "Riders"(guys) and "babes/arm candy".

To me, unless this forum has a "guys only" rule, or even a "18+ rule" that I'm not aware of, it should be basically gender neutral, and yes, "family friendly". The TERMS OF USE of the website clearly states "Actions that are hurtful to minors, " are prohibited.....

If you want to look at women, there are plenty of places on the interweb for you to do so and plenty of mags for you to subscribe to if that's the way you roll.

Regarding the Avatar, Yes, I think it should be removed, but that just my personal opine. Motojoe is free to do as he see's fit (or the site owner dictates)
Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
I personnally dont see a problem with it as this is a sportbike forum and most children will have no interest in the site or care to post here. That being said, if this was a Nickelodeon, Disney or any other child oriented site than i would say remove it immediately!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Squid

rhorsley is on a distinguished road
Before I state my opinion (since it has now been requested) I need to clarify that I am VERY conservative. I don't swear, I don't drink, I don't watch movies with a rating other than G, PG or PG-13 and I was a virgin at the age of 22 when I married my wife who was also still a virgin. I have been married 17 years and have three young children (12,10,7). I am Christian and I live my religion every day, not just Sundays, Easter and Christmas. Probably more info than most of you care to have about me, but my point is that I doubt there are many people here who would look down at me as some immoral degenerate.

For the record, I am NOT offended by that avatar. I even laughed out loud at it the first time I saw it. Part of being a member of a free society is allowing people to have their opinion and voice it. To me, your avatar says something about you. I think one thing it says is that you have a sense of humor, and I think some other members here should have one too. Keep the avatar.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It's part of life to be able to express opinions, and letting others do the same... I don't find it offensive... It's in my opinion rather cute and funny...

I think that those actually offended by it (note, you may like it removed without being offended...) should examine their reasons behind being offended... Probably not in pupblic, but it would be a good idea to think it through...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:43 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk
swordfish
So you're saying that YOUR opinion is that scantily clad women come with the image of motorcyling.

no that's not what I'm saying although if that were the case, it would be fine by me. what I'm saying is that this sport exposes its patrons to many mature issues. we post pics of injuries aquired while riding, language used about cagers that try to kill us, or just the fact that we have friends who do what we do, and are now dead because of it. all these things are aspects of the sport that to my mind, would make much more of an impression on a child than a girl in a bikini on a bike. or an animated cartoon avatar thats barely big enough to see what's on it. yet that's what we worry about. But I garantee you that injuries, homicidal cagers, and death DO COME WITH THE IMAGE OF MOTORCYCLING. this is a mature sport. we should never have to worry about what kids might see.

It's not suprising there aren't more women in motorcycling as long as motorcycling has an image/sterotype of "Riders"(guys) and "babes/arm candy".

and don't start in with the whole "objectification of women" P.C garbage. "that's why there aren't more women riders". right. I'm sure they all see a scorpion ad in cycleworld and en' mass, decided us girls aren't gonna do that sport because... those guys look at, look at ...GIRLS!!! or maybe its the outrage at the fact that we might attend a bikini bike wash where girls are GETTING PAID to look pretty all day. how dare we!! yeah that's right up there with slave labor. long story short, scantily clad women don't necessarily come with the image of motorcycling. but if they are there, they should be no more out of place than all the other mature aspects of our sport that we accept without thinking. nobody got hurt, we all had fun, they like their picture taken, and the only one (one's) left with sand in their va...(ooooh almost objectified somone) is you.

Last edited by swordfish; 07-31-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Let's change the venue a moment for another perspective on the same phenom.

A buddy tells me as he is moving out of his house across the street, "Dude, chicks and water equals nudity. The rest is up to you." So I buy his clear-heart Redwood hot tub for a song and he goes off to race yatchs. It's seats a tight six and hold 550 gallons of water and I promise you, it was a melting pot. It was driven be a 450Kbtu propane powered swimming pool heater and I could pop 104F in a half hour - in a Minnesota winter.

The hotter it got - well you might imagine. I know - I cleaned the filters, I know.

Motorcycles and their riders do the same things to the opposite sex.

The bike washes, the avatars, are all examples of the things we like about the sport. Harmless, sexy fun. You afraid of what is desiminated by the forum. Sit down and watch tv with your kid. Surf the kid channels - wake up!

The avatar is good as long as you want to keep it Joe!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motojoe
As a site member since 09/2005 I have had a few avatars. But the one I have had the longest and has been up for years is now up for poll. Yes that's right, you get to decide by votes if it stays as is or gets changed.

If your offended, I'll change it to something soft and fluffy.

If your not offended, I'll leave it just the way it is.
I don't care about it. I think it's dumb, but don't care about it. I believe in liberty. I wouldn't use what I consider to be a dumb avatar like yours, but if you like it, keep it. I don't give a ****.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
Was reading a thread and saw sschuyten's avatar, and like his much better!

Last edited by k-d-williams; 07-31-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
+1
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I dont have a problem with your avatar.. and personally prefer mine the best, though sschuyten's is now a close second... it's a little more subtle than sschuyten's
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Keep it
Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
KEEP IT!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM
996 new guy
Superstock

FireRescue is on a distinguished road
harmless fun... I don't see any penetration... well maybe... NOPE. I can understand if there were a bit more shown of the "act" but its just... well what it is.

Next you're going to tell me that my signature picture is offensive right...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cleveland
I dont have a problem with your avatar.. and personally prefer mine the best, though sschuyten's is now a close second... it's a little more subtle than sschuyten's
+1
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
XXX avatars are one thing... your avatar is not (IMO). The day we all have to change our avatars to be "PC" is the day this place turns into VFRD. NO THANKS!

Last edited by inderocker; 08-03-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Wearing the Vtwin grin!
Squid

Bikephreak is on a distinguished road
I say keep it. I find it funny not offensive.

As far as the "objectification of women" thing...you have got to be kidding me! Has no one noticed the way women dress, act, portray themselves? Do you think that we would be looking if they were all dressed like pilgrims? Of course not! The women that want that type of attention dress and act that way so that they GET that attention. They girls that don't want that attention don't dress/act that way and don't get that type of attention. Don't act like the girls at the photo shoots/bikewashes/ ect. are forced to do it, they LIKE to do it. If anyone is exploiting or objectifying it is the women doing it to themselves! And if they are doing to themselves then it CAN'T be exploitative.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Guess the members have spoken......45 to 4 in favor of keeping the avatar and not finding it offensive.

Thank you for your time.

[and now back to your regularly scheduled forum]............