Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Next Bike: VFR or VTR

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Squid

synpse is on a distinguished road
Next Bike: VFR or VTR

I had my '95 CBR F3 for almost 10 years now.. but it has been passed on to my sister. That leaves me without a bike. I've got it narrowed down to 2 choices, both are currently for sale locally. Both are excellent bikes.. but the VFR is 1/3 cheaper. I'm looking for opinions on which way to go from people who have had both bikes.

2003 Superhawk - Plenty of nice mods, 7k miles.

1996 VFR - Pretty much stock, with a pipe. 12k miles.

I'm really torn between the two. The SH isn't really the best for passengers. I'm a little shy about the low fuel warning and no reserve. But oh boy is it nice. I've already seen it in person. I usually have passengers a lot, whether it be friends or kids or even my grandma. The VFR is one of the most comfy sport bikes I've ever been on. I wanted one so bad when I got the CBR years ago. I also do a lot of 100+ mile trips.

If I could, I'd have both..
Old 07-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Squid
Squid

fpalbrecht is on a distinguished road
I owned a 93 vfr for many years. It's a great bike. I have had my 03 superhawk since spring, and have put about 2500 miles on it. All local, twisty road, day trip type stuff. Sold the vfr to a friend so I still get to ride it anytime I want. The V-twin torque is tons more fun than the vfr. The superhawk feels more "sportbike" like than the vfr. The vfr can do a lot. For long rides/trips I think the vfr would be better, but not more fun. The vfr is more comfortable.I wish I had picked up a superhawk years ago. I say deal with the, a little less room and, a little less comfort and get the bike that's more fun to ride. For me superhawk no question.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
I own both, buy the VFR it is a better all round bike. For touring it has:
  • Better wind protection
  • More complete instrumentation.
  • Dual head lights
  • Smoother engine
  • Better shifting transmission
  • Over twice the fuel range
  • Better rear view mirrors
  • Easier to see turn signal indicators (so you don’t drive ten miles with your blinker on).
  • Better brake feel.
The S Hawk handles slightly better and has more torque but not much quicker.

PS: you really need both.

Last edited by Jim TT; 07-29-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Well you should get the superhawk its "better than new" .

Did you ask this question on the vfr forum too?

Anyways, figure out what in a bike is more important to you then figure out which one fits that model best. Do you ride long distance, tour, or more day trip twisty riding. etc.

You really can't go wrong with either bike.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I was lucky enough to ride my dad's 94 VFR (same Gen as the 96) while in CO.

Nice bike, very comfortable. Feels much larger than the Superhawk.

It was fast, but not quick. The gear driven cams were cool to hear.

Felt very light and quick into the canyon turns. Very comfortable cornering.

When I came home to the Superhawk, I was reminded of the arm yanking torque. It's easy quickness into a turn. It being quick and fast. Narrower and smaller than the VFR.

I could find no fault in owning either bike or both bikes.

Like the others have said, figure out what type of riding you intend to do and pick the bike that fits that. Because they are two very different bike in that view, but very similar.

You'll be happy with either.

Erik
Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
That generation VFR has never appealed to me very much. Nice bike, but quite a bit heavier and longer than the Hawk. If you don't ride really hard in the curvy stuff and you carry a passenger a fair amount then it is a better bike than the Hawk. It is a much more refined machine, but I have never wanted one. If I did more (some) touring the answer would likely be different.

Last edited by killer5280; 07-29-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
I owned a 93 VFR before my VTX and Hawk. I will say that, to me anyways, it feels as if the hawk has more power. If you are looking at doing distances, I would go VFR. If you want to keep it local, maybe do short trips but want a bit more power, go Hawk.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:36 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
power pushes me to the vtr
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
I wanted to get another VFR after getting rid of my 93 but, the ones I found were higher than my hawk, and higher than my better half would allow. VFR's are nice bikes, but I have no regrets from buying my hawk, absolutely love it.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Squid

Onsto is on a distinguished road
You can easily make a Hawk a comfortable bike to tour on. I've added heli bars and a 'Gunfighter and Lady' saddle, and my wife has no issues being on the back for as long as it takes to run the tank dry.

My $0.02 - for $600 you can make the Hawk a comfortable tourer. How much would you have to spend to make the VFR interesting to ride?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
I feel the need to add the fact that I have put 30,000 miles on both models and the VFR is clearly the better bike (sorry all). I would not tour on the VTR it just does not cut it. The VFR has way more top end hit when the Hawk is running out of steam and I would not put money on the Hawk to win a drag race unless the Hawk rider is VERY GOOD (you cannot get off the line as hard on the VTR) . I love both bikes but if I could only have one the VFR wins. Final word: you will be happy with either.

Last edited by Jim TT; 07-29-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I have an '04 VFR, '04 CBR1000RR, and an '03 Superhawk.

The VFR and the CBR are better bikes (and a lot better than a '96 VFR), but the Superhawk is the bike I ride everyday.

That should tell you something.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
The Superhawk fuel range issues are exaggerated, as with most things on the internet.

150 miles per tank, and 25 miles on reserve. Use the trip meter as a guage.

Yeah, the VFR is much better for passengers.

I've done lots of touring on the Hawk, but it's definitely a compromise.

If I could have only one bike, I might choose the hawk. If I could have only 2, it might be a 600RR and a VFR.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 07-29-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
CC wow I only get 100 miles and I am dry; I twist the throttle a lot and have jetted up but sitill.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jim TT
CC wow I only get 100 miles and I am dry; I twist the throttle a lot and have jetted up but sitill.
If you are only getting 25mpg, you might be using your rear brake peddle as a foot peg. :P j/k

Id love to ride your bike to compare how it runs to mine. I thought mine was fine, but had a small misfire/ran "rough". Was getting about 33-35mpg mixed use. Leaned the needles by removing a washer, and bammo! She runs much better and I get 38-43mpg now. It was a huge diff.

Oh ya, and I agree with the both bikes are winners depending on what you need line of thinking.

Last edited by Springbubba; 07-29-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: agree
Old 07-29-2009, 01:15 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
That's a sweet looking VTR ... and I'm usually not much for 'customized' bikes.

Have you considered a 5th gen VFR? You get more power and it has the same long-distance attributes as the one you're considering. You can find 'em in the $4K range. Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The Superhawk fuel range issues are not exaggerated. Even with 15/43 gearing I get about 110 miles indicated before red light. I seldom go more than 15 miles on the red light before getting gas. Doesn't seem to matter too much how I ride.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I've owned a VFR as well as the VTR. I would say get the VTR. Why? Engine/Maintenance complexity of the VFR. Don't get me wrong though I loved the gear drive whine of my VFR. It was just a nasty beast to tear down.

By the way, you should be able to pick up a VTR for less than $4k...

$3500 in butler...http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/1268810231.html
$3975 in monroeville...http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/1274635315.html

Last edited by Moto Man; 07-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
hey if you are in the market for a new bike you should check out some actual show room new bikes. most dealers are all but giving things away right now. look high into the upper end of things and the deals only get better. things like agusta, ducati, benalli, and aprilia for around $9,000 (so yur getting an exotic for what a showroom jap bike would be) with awsome interest rates even on like 6 yr notes.

one more note, full coverage on my benelli is cheaper then like a 600rr would have been. and the 2 up ride is 1000x better on the nelli.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
I had a VFR for two years before I sold it and bought the Superhawk in '02...nice bike, it just didn't excite me that much...
Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
the local dealer was selling new cbr1000rr's for $8999, holy cow I thought that was what 600's where selling for.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:56 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by killer5280
The Superhawk fuel range issues are not exaggerated. Even with 15/43 gearing I get about 110 miles indicated before red light. I seldom go more than 15 miles on the red light before getting gas. Doesn't seem to matter too much how I ride.
I guess YMMV. I am weightless, so that may be a big factor, I won't argue about mpg anymore. Gotta go and refill my hydrogen backpack now...
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Zedicus
hey if you are in the market for a new bike you should check out some actual show room new bikes. most dealers are all but giving things away right now. look high into the upper end of things and the deals only get better. things like agusta, ducati, benalli, and aprilia for around $9,000 (so yur getting an exotic for what a showroom jap bike would be) with awsome interest rates even on like 6 yr notes.

one more note, full coverage on my benelli is cheaper then like a 600rr would have been. and the 2 up ride is 1000x better on the nelli.
Don't tempt me!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I too have both. The VFR is an '05 though. The 4th Gens do look and sound good. Both bikes can be modded to do whatever you want as well. Buy both! But if that's not possible I would go with the VTR. Since it is newer there are more aftermarket accessories available. Plus this forum has better people than those "other" forums. As long as you're on a red bike you will be happy for a very long time.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
I too had a 93 vfr, lot's 93 vfr owners here for such a rare color/year. Anywhoo...while I owned my 93, I had a buddy with his buell x1white lightning, we were cool with our white bikes...i know ghey. Getting to the point here, his bike had like 95 ft/lbs torque and around 110 hp, my vfr would get him in the top end and keep up in all aspects of riding. My VTR on the other hand would eat my vfr alive, and it killed the buell every ride since I got it. I say go with the VTR, like others said, so with some vfr clip-ons and do the corbin and your golden minus the mileage benefits. My vtr reminds me of a bicycle because it's so narrow and light feeling. My VFR was a bitch to get the fairings off, and try doing a valve job on your vfr! There's a million shim under buckets to adjust. I just loved my VFR tho., Still want another one for those chill cruising days.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i liked the vfr until i rode my friend's 2002 vfr800. it's smooth and comfy and i still like it but... the thing is gutless. it is a scooter.
if you're riding for comfort(travelling or commuting) maybe the vfr is the bike for you. if you want a fun bike that handles, moves, and is raucus(you know you're on a motorcycle, not a sewing machine) get the vtr. the vtr is pretty comfy too.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Squid

synpse is on a distinguished road
I think I'm leaning more toward the VTR. I mean.. I joined a superhawk forum.

For the gas issue, I'm used to a CBR F3, with no fuel gauge. That concept is somewhat foreign to me. You mean there's a fuel gauge that tells you how much is left? Instead of shaking the bike side to side and "feeling" the slosh, or opening the cap n taking a look.

I've been on an F3 for years.. did everything I asked it to. I've ridden a 99 superhawk, 03 RC51, 06 gsxr600, 05 sv650, 09 gsx1000, 03 cbr f4i, 07 st1300, and a buell 996 vtwin (forget the model #).

The real question I'm asking myself is.. When I crack the throttle, will it crack me back?

Good thing it's not red. I don't want to go too fast.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:55 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Yes, it cracks. The VTR is the perfect street bike. You've ridden a wide variety and I'm not surprised that a VTR is what you are looking to buy. 600's are only fun in the top 1/3 of the rpm and that equals speeding on the highway. The VTR has the power everywhere but not too much. VTR's are also comfy yet still handle like a sportbike. They're pretty light and narrow too.

Get it!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Normally I would let a conversation like this go by but I think the other members have not listened to you:

Most of your trips are a 100miles and sometimes with granny but most two up. Right?

Buy a VTR and Granny will never ride with you again.

100 miles on a Superhawk is great as long as you go to the bank. Go to 11am doctors appointment, meet a couple buds for lunch, back to the office for some phone stuff, off to look at truck parts with the kid at 4:30 and then off to hoist one with the boys before heading back to the barn at 5:30.

If I'm going a 100 miles out for lunch - straight shot out - I'll be on my 97VFR.

Even with Granny on the back.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
They are two different bikes with two distinctively different characteristics that make them better for their purpose but they don't crossover well.

The VFR is a PIA in short traffic because of its weight. It's weight and agility allows it to be a smooth, fast highway machine that is very at home in the corners.

The VTR is not rider friendly in any situation and is best on short destinations in any kind of traffic.

Quick Reply: Next Bike: VFR or VTR