General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Deciding on a next bike...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Deciding on a next bike...

And wanted to see what you guys' opinions are. In the past few months, I was forced to leave my love at home at my Dad's house while the USMC was training me. He is taking care of it for me, and has grown to like it very much. Enough, in fact, that I am thinking of handing the keys off to him and picking up a new bike. The question is, what to look at getting? I'm torn between a twin and inline. I love the unique sound of the twin, but hearing a screaming inline sounds just as good to me also. If I was going the twin route, I'd probably get an RC51. I love my 'Hawk, but was thinking of going to something new. A 51 or newer ('04+) Jap bike would be another step up in the suspension, brakes, handling, power, and weight departments.

The bike dealer back home has a mint '05 51 with 5k miles, a leftover '07CBR1000, and a '06 R1 with only about 5k miles also. Which one would you pick out of those 3 if you had to choose? I also thought about saving my pennies for a year or so and possibly picking up a 1098, but I just can't justify the extra cost in parts, maintence, etc. It is also extremely dishearting to read the Duck forums and see people have their clutches go out at 5k miles, odd electrical problems, leaking radiators, etc. I've done nothing but oil changes and general maintence to the 'Hawk in her past 20k miles, and she fires up every time. Damn hard to beat that Honda reliability.

I apologize for the novel, but what bike would you pick up next if you were able to keep your 'Hawk? Thanks guys!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:43 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
SV1000. Updated looks but still different from everyone else.

Or a KTM Superduke. I rode one today. Very fun, super comfy, and excellent quality.
Attached Thumbnails Deciding on a next bike...-sv1000.jpg   Deciding on a next bike...-duke_990_schwarz_lzw700.jpg  

Last edited by Hotbrakes; 08-07-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Otto Man
And wanted to see what you guys' opinions are. In the past few months, I was forced to leave my love at home at my Dad's house while the USMC was training me. He is taking care of it for me, and has grown to like it very much. Enough, in fact, that I am thinking of handing the keys off to him and picking up a new bike. The question is, what to look at getting? I'm torn between a twin and inline. I love the unique sound of the twin, but hearing a screaming inline sounds just as good to me also. If I was going the twin route, I'd probably get an RC51. I love my 'Hawk, but was thinking of going to something new. A 51 or newer ('04+) Jap bike would be another step up in the suspension, brakes, handling, power, and weight departments.

The bike dealer back home has a mint '05 51 with 5k miles, a leftover '07CBR1000, and a '06 R1 with only about 5k miles also. Which one would you pick out of those 3 if you had to choose? I also thought about saving my pennies for a year or so and possibly picking up a 1098, but I just can't justify the extra cost in parts, maintence, etc. It is also extremely dishearting to read the Duck forums and see people have their clutches go out at 5k miles, odd electrical problems, leaking radiators, etc. I've done nothing but oil changes and general maintence to the 'Hawk in her past 20k miles, and she fires up every time. Damn hard to beat that Honda reliability.

I apologize for the novel, but what bike would you pick up next if you were able to keep your 'Hawk? Thanks guys!

I love twins too, but having ridden some of the modern liter bikes, particularly the 06/07 honda and the GSXR1000, they have such an abundance of power and torque that the twins monster midrange advantage goes away. that 07 cbrRR should be easy to pick up at a good price - the 08 is stealing all the glory even though its probably a less good street bike - so you could get a deal particularly this time of year. Finally, for the twins, at this point you either go racier (like RC51) and if you like that move away from a more comfortable position, well, its a classic great bike. But if you want to head more comfortable, or stay the same then definitely check out the KTM. Very high quality build and the large superduke is being discounted heavily right now by dealers who still have them (like 2K off MSRP) and its an awesome bike with great ergonomics. And the RC8 is coming if you have to stay racy. Just some other options - I've owned several of their dirt bikes and they really are put together well.

good luck and very fun to look. I bet if you ride the 1000RR you won't miss the Vtwin.
bill
Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Squid

Prilliant03 is on a distinguished road
Italian alternative

If you like the idea of an Italian twin but not the hang ups that come with Ducati ownership, then it might be worth looking for an Aprilia RSVR Factory. It's a great bike. Better than an RC51 in almost every way. Reliability is good, the Fi is very refined. Tank range is excellent for a sportsbike, and you get proper Ohlins front and rear, along with forged OZ wheels and amazing brembo brakes. It won't ultimately be as fast as a 1098, but it will be a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and run, and still more than fast enough for all but the most insane of road riders.

And yes, I am biased. I've owned 3 different 1000cc Aprilias, and didn't have a single fault in over 50,000 combined miles.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've been looking for "something new" which means another used bike and this is what I got. The black/titanium edition is very, very beee-utiful in person but remember it truly is a track bike.

Name:  leftsidefront.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  194.5 KB

Also, don't forget about 1050 triples. A good compromise between twins and fours. I nearly got a speed triple but it sold before I could get the funds together.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Damn i like that bike. That picture is one of the resons i want to sell my hawk and get 51
that thing is one of the most elegant bikes ive ever seen....
Old 08-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Prilliant03
If you like the idea of an Italian twin but not the hang ups that come with Ducati ownership, then it might be worth looking for an Aprilia RSVR Factory. It's a great bike...... the Fi is very refined. Tank range is excellent for a sportsbike, and you get proper Ohlins front and rear, along with forged OZ wheels and amazing brembo brakes. .....it will be a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and run, and still more than fast enough for all but the most insane of road riders.
+1

Prillias are great!I don't own any, but a long test ride a few years ago leaves me pining for one.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Currently on the top of my list are

SuperDuke
06+ FZ1
Tuono
690 Duke 3 would be a great super moto!

If you have not noticed all of these are more street than race bikes but all can fill the bill of occassional track day tool. Especially the 690 on shorter tracks would be really awesome and something that would be underestimated by the big bore group!!

Dennis

PS I have heard the rumors about the new VFR1000 coming out and it might be a V5!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Back Marker

LINK
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...orcyclepatent/
Old 08-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Otto Man

Given the choices listed, I'd get the '07 CBR1000RR hands down.

But that's just me...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
get a 675. light and fast, more tq than 600's =)
Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Triumph Street Triple all the way! I love mine. Tuned down Daytona 675 motor, very comfy up right position, and very quick!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Squid

david.k1200 is on a distinguished road
If you chose Aprilia check out the Tuono. Comfort body position plus 70% cheaper insurance compared to the RSV Mille although it is just a striped RSV. Engine is made by Rotax so not 100% Italian but still has the Italian attitude. I just picked up a used 2007 Tuono for $7900 and so far love it...it is crazy with loud with Leo's and no baffles.
Attached Thumbnails Deciding on a next bike...-pic00014.jpg  
Old 08-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
From the choices you listed I would go with the Yam R1. It's well rated and stable bike with great suspension out of the box. As for others options this would be my order of preference:

1. KTM RC8
2. Aprillia Tuono
3. Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
Of the choices you mentioned, I'd probably lean towards the CBR1000 if the deal is good enough. I'd expect it to be easier to live with (ergonomically) thant the RC-51.

If I were shopping for myself, the KTM RC8 is looking REALLY nice...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
imo

the gsxr750 is the perfect mix of comfort, street ride & track weapon.

tim
Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Back Marker

Been looking heavily at the left-over CBR1000. Besides checking KBB for price, how do you gauge what is a good price for a brand new left over bike? Is there much you can work with on the price, or what? I've never purchased anything from a dealer, all of my bikes have been private sellers. Thanks guys!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Squid

MILKMAN65 is on a distinguished road
You will enjoy the power tourqe etc, of the 1000rr, I had an 04 (Great bike). Most of the power is unusable, and the seat will have your legs fall asleep in about 30min. The RC-51 suffers from similar ergo's, very uncomfortable but a great track bike. I ride an 03 Superhawk now and love it. But if you wanted something racier I would go with an older RSV Mille R, I thinks it's 2000-2003, with the twin spark rotax motor, great power, good riding position and incredible suspension and brakes, and you don't need it serviced every 6000 miles (I.E. Ducati). You also won't spend Ducati $$$ when trying to purchase one.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
You can buy my SV650S!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
Hey I just added an 04 R1 to my collection (with no intention of selling my Hawk of course!). with only 5k on the odo and being in mint condition, i have to say that the 6600 i paid was quite a bargain for such a great ride. the sound that comes from the intake of that bike when u get her going is like nothing i've ever heard. lots of cool performance mods for those 04-06 R1's too. turns in about as fast as a SH but the suspension provides much more composure on shitty connecticut roads. also, it has more torque/bottom end than you would be led to believe by all the magazine reviews. the editors are so jaded by all the bikes they ride. The R1 has got more power than you'll ever need anywhere. oh another nice thing is the valves aren't due till 26k i believe.

That's the only bike i can help you with! if you have any questions about r1's, feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails Deciding on a next bike...-picture-240.jpg   Deciding on a next bike...-picture-241.jpg  
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
imo

the gsxr750 is the perfect mix of comfort, street ride & track weapon.

tim
That's probably the most under appreciated bike on the planet, next to the VTR of course.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Back Marker

Well, its not a Honda or Yamaha, but the deal was there and I couldn't pass it up! '05 ZX-10R with only 4k miles on it. Will give a full report on the differences when I go home for Labor day, since I'll be able to ride the chicken and the zx back to back.

Name:  cowling.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  104.7 KB
Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Back Marker

Nice bike!! I passed some of those on the FrankenHawk last weekend at a trackday HEHE have fun with the liter bike!

Dennis