Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Looking to buy a 1975 CB750 - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy a 1975 CB750 - advice?

Its actually for a buddy that im trying to get into riding. He found a great condition 1975 CB750 that we are going to look at this weekend. The owner says that he has done an electronic ignition upgrade, and has recently repainted the gas tank. Everything else is stock.

The bads: The carbs need to be synced and neutral light is out

Just wondering what we are getting into about the carb synching (easy, or shop work?) and what other quirks this year and model may have. I should be able to handle the neutral light for him with no problems. (switch, bulb, wiring etc...?)

If he gets it, ill probably be riding it 3 hours back to where we live since he doesnt have his endorsement yet.

Any input would be rockin! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Alright, every time I have dealt with buying an old bike and the ad says the carbs need to be synced its like the best way to say "I have no clue about carbs" and "it doesn't run quite right".

Anyways the 75' cb750 should still have mechanical slide carbs, which is good, they are like the ak47 of honda carbs where the later cv carbs are like the m16 go figure. With that said though like all carbs they do not put up well with the laquer that can build up. Whenever I get an old bike that "needs a sync" I imediately translate that to a full clean tear down and inspection. You should know more once you ride it. If the only thing it does badly is idle rough but as soon as you start riding it smooths out then I would try a sync. Which by the way will require a carb tool with four manifolds.

Other than that its the usual drill with used vehicles, is there sign of neglect, what are the tires like (check the date on them), how does the chain look, are the bearings tight, are the fork seals still sealing, is there crash damage etc. Also a driveable 75' that needs nothing (including no tuning) at most is worth $2500, most of the time they are worth more like $1500 or less.

The good thing is they are easily fixable and honda still carries 90% of the parts for them. Go honda!

Also as a side note, low miles on an old bike = lots of rebuilding. Here's why on a higher mileage bike 25k + it was most likely sitting fewer years than a low mile bike 10k or less. Just food for thought, in my experience the bikes that where used and maintained well turn out easier to fix since sitting kills these things worse than a friendly rider.

Once right though, you could almost forget to do maintenance they are so reliable, but be prepared for some debug time if the bike sat though.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I would only add to check things carefully - especially inside the tank with a flashlight looking for rust - and bring a notebook as you look it over and tally up the costs:
chain/sprockets
tires
brakes
cables

the carbs I agree are usually gummed up - removing and cleaning is not a bad job to do and doesn't requiring separating the carbs from each other, just removing the floats/jets/needles and some new gaskets.

They are still cool old bikes and there are a lot of cafe part/ideas for them - when done right they look very cool
Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Superstock

Cool! thanks for the rsponses. I really appreciate them! I asked him the mileage and the owner hadnt got back with him yet. Ill have him also ask about time spent sitting up.

The owner did say that he has regularly taken iit to a honda dealer for all maintenance, and would get some kind of inspection certificate stating that everything is in good / excellent condition.

Ill let you know when he comes back with the mileage and time spent sitting up.

Thanks again!

BTW, Cornandp, I have been following your cafe racer build and if my buddy ends up getting this one, im going to have to get one too. THANKS ALOT! lol

Last edited by Mike996; 01-19-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Mike - is your friend mechanically inclined? Does he have a sense of appreciation for older standard bikes? Does he/will he enjoy working on the bike? I ask because like any older sought after vehicle some of the price is going to be based on what the bike is, and not just that it is a trusty first ride.
Think '67 mustang (my first car). I spent more time under the hood than behind the wheel. Probably there will be lots of opportunity to learn about bikes with the CB750, but if he is more inclined towards just hopping on and riding, there might be more modern better choices.
Just a thought...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Mike - is your friend mechanically inclined? Does he have a sense of appreciation for older standard bikes? Does he/will he enjoy working on the bike? I ask because like any older sought after vehicle some of the price is going to be based on what the bike is, and not just that it is a trusty first ride.
Think '67 mustang (my first car). I spent more time under the hood than behind the wheel. Probably there will be lots of opportunity to learn about bikes with the CB750, but if he is more inclined towards just hopping on and riding, there might be more modern better choices.
Just a thought...
This is also what I was thinking. I'm not a pro mechanic but my first car was a '72 corvette and my first bike a 1980 cb650, neither of which were previously loved very much. If you have patience & like to wrench and don't mind stocking up on wd40 then old stuff is alot of fun. But as Steve said the other side is if he's looking to do more riding and get less rust under his fingernails the sweet deals are out there on much newer machines.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Superstock

My buddy is mechanically inclined. He is in the Air Force as a jets troop. basically he rebuilds and maintains turbine engines for boeing B-52h aircraft. He knows how to wrench, but hasnt before on a bike. He did help me several times when i worked on my 91 mustang, and he built a big ole gnarly jeep a while back, so i know he's capable, but since i personally didnt know that much about the bike, i figured id offer him some help by way of the experienced guys over here.

He is willing to get dirty and fix just about anything, and hes a single E-5 in the military, so he will be able to pay for anything thats beyond both of our abilities.

Basically he wants something to play with when i bitch about not having anyone to ride with, and something to tinker on the rest of the time.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Oh then hell he should be fine. You never know I've seen people buy old stuff and just shake my head when they don't have a garage, don't have any tools, a battery charger, etc...a clue...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Unless you're a whiz with carbs sometimes it's also easier to spend a few bucks more and just buy something that runs right to begin with. Being that those and similar bikes aren't worth that much to begin with you may find another down the road for the same price that you don't have to pour as much time or money into. There will always be basic maintenance and plenty of cosmetics to do.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Superstock

I just talked to him again, and the guy said it has 30k on the clock, and he was riding it every weekend until he decided to put it up for sale. been for sale for 3 weeks, but he claims he starts it every day and lets it get up to operating temperature.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
The CB motors are near bullet proof. They are great bikes. As note before look for the usual signs of neglect. In my opinion the carbs on the CB's are pretty easy to work on.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
I had a 74 CB360T and loved it! I am a moron when it comes to working on bikes but it was easy enough for me and a buddy to do our maintenance in our apt complex parking lot.

Great bikes! The only 70's model CB I would stay clear of is the 550 I believe, they had a bad rep if I remember correctly from all my CB research.

Last edited by eersfanpilot; 01-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I would check to see what tires are still available for it. Also the stock brakes leave a bit to be desired and it is kind of heavy but they are pretty cool and make a fun cafe project. The other plus is that it has a pretty much bullet proof drive train.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...b750k%2075.htm
Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by divingindaytona
The CB motors are near bullet proof. They are great bikes. As note before look for the usual signs of neglect. In my opinion the carbs on the CB's are pretty easy to work on.
Good to know, thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot
I had a 74 CB360T and loved it! I am a moron when it comes to working on bikes but it was easy enough for me and a buddy to do our maintenance in our apt complex parking lot.

Great bikes! The only 70's model CB I would stay clear of is the 550 I believe, they had a bad rep if I remember correctly from all my CB research.
Awesome! he has a garage and ive been filtering my old tools to him, so we should be covered

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I would check to see what tires are still available for it. Also the stock brakes leave a bit to be desired and it is kind of heavy but they are pretty cool and make a fun cafe project. The other plus is that it has a pretty much bullet proof drive train.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...b750k%2075.htm
Im having him check on the tires today, i didnt think about that possibly being an issue, thanks for that and the link!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
By the way, what is the price?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
definately a nice bike, all through the years many parts etc. electronic ignition is a great upgrade for dependability I know because I have one on my CB, the dyna ignition.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Squid

easton24 is on a distinguished road
I have a 1970 cb 350. They are nice bikes. I have to pull my carbs, they gummed up after a year of sitting.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Squid

Dont mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know where I can get a exhaust for a 1970 cb 350. My right exhaust is just about gone and the ones I have seen on ebay are not much better.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
By the way, what is the price?

He had it listed for 2k, but my buddy said he offered him 1500. the seller said that was the average offer he was getting on it. If he didnt get a better offer before this weekend, he could have it for that price.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by easton24
Dont mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know where I can get a exhaust for a 1970 cb 350. My right exhaust is just about gone and the ones I have seen on ebay are not much better.

Did you try Old Bike Barn?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot
Did you try Old Bike Barn?

Just what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I had a bunch of CBs when I first started riding and loved all of them.

Now maybe it was just me, but three out of four had had chains snap and fly through the engine casing. One did this to me on the road. The fix was to cover the whole mess with bondo -- but it didn't fill me with alot confidence. I think the 70s chain was just too wimpy for the power of the bike.

A lot of these bikes were converted to VW coils, so you might want to check. Wheels can go out of whack pretty easy, too, and tire size might be an issue these days. I remember the carbs being a bitch to synch, but I was a kid and it just seemed like a lot of work. You'll want to check the wheel bearing, fork seals, all that stuff. Believe it or not, in my experience those 1970s Hondas weren't as interchangable as you might expect.

I also had a 550, which was a better bike in most respects and the 400 four rocked hard. It was the CB 360 (twin) and CB650 -- sorry captain -- that sucked. The later DOH 750s / 900s were outclassed by the machines of the day, but were ok bikes, too. Just don't expect any of these machines to keep up with a SV650 on the street.

But them early SOH CBs still look way cool, sort of porky Triumphs in style and pretty low to the ground.

R.