Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

The Four Finger Rule of Law in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
The Four Finger Rule of Law in Chicago

if you're coming to Chicago, put you pocket knife in your tank bag.

i'm sure that many of you, like me, carry a pocket knife with you. i'm partial to liner-lock blade folding knives. i have a modest collection that needed to be re-built about 10 years ago after a young women who worked with my wife house-sat for us while we were on a trip. her boyfriend was a Chicago cop and they decided to have a cop party in our apartment while we were away. when we got back i noticed that all of my knives were missing... yeah. good luck with getting those back. the cop boyfriend blamed it on a klepto-kid who'd been at the party. huh?

i usually get hassled by a Chicago cop once a year on average. a couple weeks ago i was educated by one of them regarding the four finger rule. yes. if you are carrying a knife in your pocket (aka concealed), and a Chicago cop lays their four fingers perpendicular to the blade and it extends past their four fingers, it is considered an illegal concealed weapon. this cop told me that he had to confiscating my Kershaw 1790CTK knife. this is my hands-down favorite folding knife. when he was trying to close it, i had to stop him before he cut himself. "Be careful!"

i, of course, objected and began to explain Illinois knife laws to him... which didn't go over well and got me an offer to go to jail in cuffs. 3.5", more likely 3.75" blade folding knife is perfectly legal in Illinois to carry in your pocket. this particular knife blade measures 3.53" at its longest point from liner to tip. i sometimes carry a tape-measure in my tank bag and went to retrieve it in order to give this moron a real measurement. unfortunately, the tape measure was not with me that day. i asked for a cop with fatter fingers. that didn't go over well, either. all of their fingers are the same size, he told me in so many words. i was skinning rabbits when this dumb f**k was still wearing diapers.

he got what he wanted. i grovelled and expressed remorse and promised not to carry this blade in my pocket any more, just to get my damn knife back. "Yes Sir, Officer. I'm very sorry Officer." f**king dick. but he actually gave me my knife back and instructed me to put it into my tank bag. "Why are you carrying this knife?" "Well, i use it as a tool, Officer. 95% of it's use is as a box cutter." he made no bones about the fact that he knew that i was lying. "If I let you go without a warning, and you end up stabbing someone in a knife-fight later today... Do you have your drivers license?" "No Officer, i always ride around the city without it." of course i have my drivers license you *******. here. "Where does it say that you are licensed to ride a motorcycle?" "It's that 'M' after the 'D', Sir." so he is holding my drivers license and asks me to spell me name and give him my address... "My name is Urama Ron, Sir."

i love this city.

--fred

Last edited by fred; 06-19-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
sorry, i didn't notice the 'RANT' category until after posting. this should have been put there.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
When he tells you your folding knife is too big you need to pull the one out of your pants like Crocodile Dundee. "You call that a knife? This is a knife."

YouTube - ‪Jedi Crocodile Dundee‬‏
Old 06-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
In the UK any knife that locks is an "offensive weapon" regardless of length! A non locking knife has to be under 3 inches.

A friend got stopped for a traffic offence and he was asked if he had anything that could harm and he remembered the knife, he gave it to the officer who promptly arrested him for it, oh yes and drunk driving, not all my friends are that bright! He was fined £85 for the knife. He is 64 years old so hardly a loony kid......
Old 06-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by tomzxt
When he tells you your folding knife is too big you need to pull the one out of your pants like Crocodile Dundee. "You call that a knife? This is a knife."

YouTube - ‪Jedi Crocodile Dundee‬‏
yeah. funny to you and me. not funny to officer friendly. according to this genius, any knife, even if in plain view (e.g., the 9" sheathed Ka-Bar that you have strapped to your belt and in open view) that is potentially dangerous is illegal. i wonder how many gardeners this guy arrests each summer.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by Furrybiker
In the UK any knife that locks is an "offensive weapon" regardless of length! A non locking knife has to be under 3 inches.

A friend got stopped for a traffic offence and he was asked if he had anything that could harm and he remembered the knife, he gave it to the officer who promptly arrested him for it, oh yes and drunk driving, not all my friends are that bright! He was fined £85 for the knife. He is 64 years old so hardly a loony kid......
ouch. i try to stick within the US state and federal laws. the primary glaring exception for me is speed-limit. i'm pushing my luck on that one.

anyway, each state in the US has different restrictions when it comes to concealed carry knife and/or fire-arm. for example, it is illegal in Illinois to carry a concealed fire-arm. you cannot get licensed for this in Illinois unless you are a law officer or some sort of licensed body guard or other exception. civilians, such as myself, cannot get such a license. this is not the case in many other states including some that are adjacent to Illinois. one of the somewhat humorous side-effects of this disparity is the "Packing Granny from Indianey" Syndrome.

you get these little old ladies visiting Chicago and setting off metal detectors when entering federal or state buildings, museums, etc. they end up having a .380 in their purse, or a snub-nose .357 body holstered. it would make an interesting documentary, i think. book 'em Danno!

--fred
Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I have often wondered if a Global outbreak of stabbings with ballpoint pens- would we local law enforcement , LOSSing their mind - collecting pens .

Guess we all better start sharping sticks of wood.....