Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Street and track

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Squid

Shappy1 is on a distinguished road
Street and track

I want to occasionally track my bike and keep it as a commuter. I don't care about making my bike faster but I do want it to stop faster and handle better two overall make it a safer bike. What do you guys think would be the best modifications to make with keeping budget in mind?
I'm 29, 5'11" at 245 lbs

Last edited by Shappy1; 03-12-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
What is the budget in $$$?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Squid

Don't want to spend more than 1k but it will be a build over tone
Old 03-12-2017, 12:11 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
For $595, Jamie can sell you a complete replacement fork cartridge, already set up for your weight.
Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification
To save some cash, get the replacement springs and a revalve + rebound upgrade. Even there you're $450ish.

Then get Jamie's F4 shock. You'd be living the high life after those upgrades.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:50 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Wolverine's suggestions, for me the forks are the obvious starting point, the shock not so much. New springs and compression valve would be a minimum, plus modify the existing rebound valving. I love my CBR954 calipers and master too, a big improvement in brake feel over the stock setup and an easy bolt-on.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Cadbury64
I agree with Wolverine's suggestions, for me the forks are the obvious starting point, the shock not so much. New springs and compression valve would be a minimum, plus modify the existing rebound valving. I love my CBR954 calipers and master too, a big improvement in brake feel over the stock setup and an easy bolt-on.
Better than the f4i brake upgrade?
Old 03-12-2017, 02:01 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
CBR954 and F4i brakes are similar but not the same; the 954 uses smaller pistons (30/32 vs 32/34mm) and a bigger MC (17.46 vs 15.87mm) than the F4i, IMO you get a much better feeling brake. I do have the F4i set-up on my VFR800 with the same EBC HH pads so I have got a good basis for comparison. On that bike I replaced the F4i master with the larger diameter CBR600RR (17.46mm) master and that was better, but I still think the F4i caliper pistons are a little large.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:21 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
When I upgraded to F4 I calipers my forks felt like they were flexing all the time so that meant a Coerce fork brace to settle things down.

Are you looking for bolt on mods or are you happy to get your hands dirty ?

One of the best things I have done to my bike is the braced swing arm mod.

If you shop wisely this is notbexpensive although it can be time consuming.

This mod makes a world of difference to the way the bike behaves over the rough stuff.

Also be aware that if you have or intend to fit a shim to the back shock that you would be well advised to back the pre load on the back shock completely off.

If I had $1000, to spend it would be a braced swing arm, F4i calipers, some fork work by way of springs at the very least , fork brace and shock shim.

Some might question my logic and say a back shock is a must, however to date my rear shock that was reconditioned early on has only just now been shown to be lacking in action.

This is due to having recently gone to a USD front end that surpasses the performance of the back shock due to a myriad of factors like radial brakes, different rake and trail as well as fork action and less flex in the forks as well as a buch of other stuff including weight loss.

What you are seeking is achievable by searching this forum and taking other members recommendations into account.

Jamie is a good starting place, I am currently researching back shocks and all arrows are pointing to Jamie's CBR modified unit.

Good luck in your quest! Spend your money wisely and enjoy the difference it makes to your bike.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:10 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Shappy1
I want to occasionally track my bike and keep it as a commuter. I don't care about making my bike faster but I do want it to stop faster and handle better two overall make it a safer bike. What do you guys think would be the best modifications to make with keeping budget in mind?
I'm 29, 5'11" at 245 lbs

Shoot me an email, I'm running some deals on fork/shock combos right now. I'd be happy to help you out!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
For $595, Jamie can sell you a complete replacement fork cartridge, already set up for your weight.
Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification
To save some cash, get the replacement springs and a revalve + rebound upgrade. Even there you're $450ish.

Then get Jamie's F4 shock. You'd be living the high life after those upgrades.
I can confirm that price of $450+$25 return shipping.