SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Street and track (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/street-track-34404/)

Shappy1 03-11-2017 06:56 PM

Street and track

I want to occasionally track my bike and keep it as a commuter. I don't care about making my bike faster but I do want it to stop faster and handle better two overall make it a safer bike. What do you guys think would be the best modifications to make with keeping budget in mind?
I'm 29, 5'11" at 245 lbs

Wolverine 03-12-2017 10:50 AM

What is the budget in $$$?

Shappy1 03-12-2017 11:10 AM

Don't want to spend more than 1k but it will be a build over tone

Wolverine 03-12-2017 12:11 PM

For $595, Jamie can sell you a complete replacement fork cartridge, already set up for your weight.
Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification
To save some cash, get the replacement springs and a revalve + rebound upgrade. Even there you're $450ish.

Then get Jamie's F4 shock. You'd be living the high life after those upgrades.

Cadbury64 03-12-2017 12:50 PM

I agree with Wolverine's suggestions, for me the forks are the obvious starting point, the shock not so much. New springs and compression valve would be a minimum, plus modify the existing rebound valving. I love my CBR954 calipers and master too, a big improvement in brake feel over the stock setup and an easy bolt-on.

Shappy1 03-12-2017 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cadbury64 (Post 400960)
I agree with Wolverine's suggestions, for me the forks are the obvious starting point, the shock not so much. New springs and compression valve would be a minimum, plus modify the existing rebound valving. I love my CBR954 calipers and master too, a big improvement in brake feel over the stock setup and an easy bolt-on.

Better than the f4i brake upgrade?

Cadbury64 03-12-2017 02:01 PM

CBR954 and F4i brakes are similar but not the same; the 954 uses smaller pistons (30/32 vs 32/34mm) and a bigger MC (17.46 vs 15.87mm) than the F4i, IMO you get a much better feeling brake. I do have the F4i set-up on my VFR800 with the same EBC HH pads so I have got a good basis for comparison. On that bike I replaced the F4i master with the larger diameter CBR600RR (17.46mm) master and that was better, but I still think the F4i caliper pistons are a little large.

kenmoore 03-13-2017 02:21 AM

When I upgraded to F4 I calipers my forks felt like they were flexing all the time so that meant a Coerce fork brace to settle things down.

Are you looking for bolt on mods or are you happy to get your hands dirty ?

One of the best things I have done to my bike is the braced swing arm mod.

If you shop wisely this is notbexpensive although it can be time consuming.

This mod makes a world of difference to the way the bike behaves over the rough stuff.

Also be aware that if you have or intend to fit a shim to the back shock that you would be well advised to back the pre load on the back shock completely off.

If I had $1000, to spend it would be a braced swing arm, F4i calipers, some fork work by way of springs at the very least , fork brace and shock shim.

Some might question my logic and say a back shock is a must, however to date my rear shock that was reconditioned early on has only just now been shown to be lacking in action.

This is due to having recently gone to a USD front end that surpasses the performance of the back shock due to a myriad of factors like radial brakes, different rake and trail as well as fork action and less flex in the forks as well as a buch of other stuff including weight loss.

What you are seeking is achievable by searching this forum and taking other members recommendations into account.

Jamie is a good starting place, I am currently researching back shocks and all arrows are pointing to Jamie's CBR modified unit.

Good luck in your quest! Spend your money wisely and enjoy the difference it makes to your bike.

JamieDaugherty 03-13-2017 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shappy1 (Post 400951)
I want to occasionally track my bike and keep it as a commuter. I don't care about making my bike faster but I do want it to stop faster and handle better two overall make it a safer bike. What do you guys think would be the best modifications to make with keeping budget in mind?
I'm 29, 5'11" at 245 lbs

Shoot me an email, I'm running some deals on fork/shock combos right now. I'd be happy to help you out!

xeris 03-25-2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 400959)
For $595, Jamie can sell you a complete replacement fork cartridge, already set up for your weight.
Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification
To save some cash, get the replacement springs and a revalve + rebound upgrade. Even there you're $450ish.

Then get Jamie's F4 shock. You'd be living the high life after those upgrades.

I can confirm that price of $450+$25 return shipping.