Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Winter Tires

I know that some of us ride all year round.

Who uses what tire for colder riding?

I'm thinking that I don't want to use a soft compound tire.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road

Then again, what do I know.....If it drops below 55 the bike stays in the garage.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
lean more to the touring tire than a sport tire... the silica compound will be better suited for wet weather.

tim
Old 08-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
theres actually a fair asortment of wet weather tires for motorcycles.

you could also check out some of the tires the newer dual sport bikes are running...

or if theres actually snow buildup maybe a good knobby in the front and a half paddle out back???
Old 08-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Idiot
Squid

rossthompson is on a distinguished road
I've had good luck with the Bridgestone BT-021 in the cold as well as the Dunlop D616, but the other sport tires such as the Pilot Power seem to be good as well. Stay away from race compounds or trackday tires since they require some heat to generate grip.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:50 AM
SuperBike

Thanks guys. I hadn't even thought of looking towards the sport touring market. I'll ask my buddy what he runs on his VFR. He only missed riding 4 days last year, and we're in New England.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rossthompson
I've had good luck with the Bridgestone BT-021 in the cold as well as the Dunlop D616, but the other sport tires such as the Pilot Power seem to be good as well. Stay away from race compounds or trackday tires since they require some heat to generate grip.
nice mug shot....good to see somebody else in Kansas City
Old 08-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Back Marker

smack doogle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
I know that some of us ride all year round.

Who uses what tire for colder riding?

I'm thinking that I don't want to use a soft compound tire.

Any advice is appreciated.
How late do you plan on riding this year? I'm riding until the snow flies or the temp dips lower than 40 for a high. I'll stop commuting though before that. I need to look into a heated vest and grips/gloves.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smack doogle
How late do you plan on riding this year? I'm riding until the snow flies or the temp dips lower than 40 for a high. I'll stop commuting though before that. I need to look into a heated vest and grips/gloves.
I rode last year as low as 22 degrees, and I have a 20 mile commute. Probably do the same this year.

SRB installment in Oct will get me some heated grips and maybe a vest. I am leaning towards Carhart insulated bibs for cold weather ride. They don't have the armor of some of the riding suits, but they are durable, and since they are bibs, they get up under my jacket for the extra layer.

Need to order a Foggy from Aerostich soon. The stupid Shoei breath deflector doesn't work worth a damn.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I hadn't even thought of looking towards the sport touring market. I'll ask my buddy what he runs on his VFR. He only missed riding 4 days last year, and we're in New England.

Burr.
Last winter you all got a crap load of snow. What part of New England?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Back Marker

jbeber is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sassage
nice mug shot....good to see somebody else in Kansas City
Ha, mugshot! Just having fun, please don't take offense. I'll make one of myself too if you like.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Tires-rossthompsonmugshot.jpg  
Old 08-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Idiot
Squid

Haaahahaha!

The beard is part of my winter riding gear!

I usually ride as long as the high temp is above 35 and I really can't stand anything below 20 in the morning. I have an uber dorky joe rocket touring jacket that is super warm and wind/waterproof and some waterproof gloves with bmx gloves stuffed inside. that with a neck warmer and my upper body is good for the commute. Thermal pants, jeans and rain pants with boots and wool socks for the bottom half. The thing that really helped me last year was handguards.

as far as KC, I worked at Cafe Racer until Friday! Free at last!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Speedbump
Squid

Norcalblake is on a distinguished road
Im glad to see im not the only one who rides year round... even when it rains ill still be ridding/ commuting.. thank god i live in the SFbay area, last winter the worst temp i saw was like 28-30.. plus the rain doesnt bother me as much as the wind, last year on my dual sport 50 mph blew me of the highway and awalkin i was goin. Anyway im gonna buy dunlop roadsmart tires this week.. They are only like 159 for a rear compared to michelin pilot road 2 which is 189. They talk about how good it is in wet weather and its a dual compound... and the tread pattern doesnt look dumb like the original pilot roads or some of the bridgestones... yes that does matter to me
Old 08-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rossthompson
as far as KC, I worked at Cafe Racer until Friday! Free at last!

I've yet to go there

I've got the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 jacket and pants...those with all the sections zipped in and hte rain/wind liners zipped in and I can get down pretty low 30s without much of a chill. haven't had a dry day below that temp to try them out yet...hopefully this winter.

I love riding in the cold but it sucks bundling up that much to commute to work as i have to dress 'professional' every day.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:39 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Need to order a Foggy from Aerostich soon. The stupid Shoei breath deflector doesn't work worth a damn.

ES - I have Gerbings Jkt Liner + Hot Grips & Scorpion EXO-700 - DOES NOT FOG - best helmet made for the $$ - BAR NONE - I've owned AGV & Arai. Less than $200.

Gerbings connects real easy - the Hot Grips I tied into a switched ground. Used the driving light (?) above headlight as the switched ground w/ inline fuse. Installed the toggle on left side fairing just in front of clutch on vertical fairing. See Pic ( & thats a 35 yr. old Bronco minibike in background)

Though due to 4 kiddies riding time ain't what it used to be, but good to know I have the Farckles when needed.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Tires-hot-grips.jpg  
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
rossthompson, you mentioned that you installed handguards. What kind of handguards did you use? Were they dirt bike kind? That sounds like an idea that would work great for me. I commute in the winter into the 30's and I have an hour trip each way. Keeping the wind off my hands would do alot to keep them warm.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
ES - I have Gerbings Jkt Liner + Hot Grips & Scorpion EXO-700 - DOES NOT FOG - best helmet made for the $$ - BAR NONE - I've owned AGV & Arai. Less than $200.

Gerbings connects real easy - the Hot Grips I tied into a switched ground. Used the driving light (?) above headlight as the switched ground w/ inline fuse. Installed the toggle on left side fairing just in front of clutch on vertical fairing. See Pic ( & thats a 35 yr. old Bronco minibike in background)

Though due to 4 kiddies riding time ain't what it used to be, but good to know I have the Farckles when needed.
I like the switch placement, out of the way, yet easy to reach. I tried on the Scorpions, wrong head shape for me. So I'll have to get a foggy.

Heated grips are definitely on the to do list, before it gets much colder.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:11 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by zmaniv
Burr.
Last winter you all got a crap load of snow. What part of New England?
I'm in Rhode Island, the absolute SW corner, and I commute in CT each day.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Idiot
Squid

The handguards are Acerbis supermoto. I have motocross bars so it works well, not sure how well they would work with clip-ons but they would work with some adaptation.

And since I'm blue collar, no worries about looking nice when i get to work since i'll get dirty anyway.