Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

VTR Down Under

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Have you checked the enrichener (choke) fittings and enrichener system for smooth operation, making sure the plungers open and close all the way?

I had broken choke fittings and one sticking enrichener plunger that sent me off the jetting deep end for a few weeks.

Might be contributing to the perceived richness in the rear cylinder and the stalling.

Cable pull on the choke should be full stroke, smooth and easy.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Squid

Twitchy is on a distinguished road
Hi guys, just thought I would let you know the bike has taken a back seat due to trip preparations for our mega family holiday. We are currently in New South Wales, which is a long way from Perth. We will have done almost 10,000kms by the time we get home!

But I received some parts before I left which included the choke cable. Need to get some new plugs as well.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:34 AM
Squid

Twitchy is on a distinguished road
Well we are back in the real world now after 9012 kms in 3 1/2 weeks. Big trip!

Anyhoo, investigating my previously noted little issues, I have a crack in the aluminium carb body where the emulsion tube screws in on the rear carb. Explains why it was rich on the rear! I have bought a set of used carbs from a motorcycle wrecker, and to my surprise they were filled with 'Factory USA' bits. I am assuming this means Factory Pro. I have stripped the carbs (learning my lesson from when I first bought the bike I noted the fuel screw positions and TPS setting), cleaned and now reassembling.

The settings are (which I am leaving to see how close the new carbs are); Factory USA 50 pilots front & rear, Factory USA 180 front main, Factory USA 185 rear main jets, needle (with 5 slots) are 2nd from the blunt end, and 817 ohms on the TPS. Needles seems a bit lean to me, but I guess they came off someones bike which (allegedly) worked, so why would I mess with it. I must say the FP needles seem much fatter (thicker) at the top than the DJ or OEM ones.

Enjoying a cold beer now, and tomorrow I will finish reassembling the carbs, bolt back on (with a new choke cable and resetting the TPS to 500 ohm) and see how it goes.

More to come....