Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Need QUIET aftermarket exhaust recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Squid

DavidEW is on a distinguished road
Need QUIET aftermarket exhaust recommendation

Mine has high mount Devil cans with bafflectomy. That's the way I bought it. Unfortunately my bike is way to loud for the neighborhood. I'm THAT guy - everyone hates me. I need to swap them out for something that's still high mount to keep the great looks but I need something neighborhood respectable. Anyone has a lot of experience with different ones? I know there are several out there and they all sound different. I need the quietest ones. I will be selling mine soon if someone's interested...they are spotless carbon fiber. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
Jardine High Mounts with the Q insert

I love the Jardine product line. I have the older style black round high mounts and they are pretty loud. The oval RT-1 high mounts used to come with race and street cores. Race core being far louder then my round cans. A buddy has the polished aluminum ovals with the quiet insert. They look, sound and perform great.
Sell your devils to somebody in the midwest. They don't give a **** about noise in the cornfields. I know, I grew up their.
Jardines are built in Corona California and I live next door in Riverside. Sales office at the factory building is very knowledgeable and way ******* expensive. They quoted, I bought elsewhere, at full MSRP. If I wanted to pay MSRP I can go down the street to Malcolm Smith and get burned.
I would do one of three things 1) offer to trade with a fellow Superhawk owner on the forum (even offer to pay shipping both ways). 2) craigslist or ebay, both can be scary but, great prices to be had. 3) call Redline Motorsports, Bear Riordan owner, 951-515-9967 at 570 East La Cadena Dr Riverside Ca 92507. This guy knows Honda Twins, has a beautiful RC-51, and has tuned my Hawk to perfection. He can get ANYTHING you want. Tell him Sean sent you. Good luck
Old 06-25-2009, 12:32 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Not sure what they look like but it may be as simple as drilling out a few rivets and adding packing or putting a plate of thin metal behind the drilled out holes then putting them back together.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
You can definitely re-pack them, but I really don't think there is a "quiet" aftermarket system for the SH. Do you live in an old folks neighborhood, that a motorcycle would cause people to hate you?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:11 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to go with DavidEW, quiet pipes keep your neighbors happy.
Not to mention that cops don't even look up as your speeding by........
I went with RC51 mufflers on my VTR, they are lighter then the stock mufflers and look and sound better as well.
You should be able to find some fairly cheap on e-bay.

Kai Ju

Last edited by kai ju; 06-25-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
If you truely need quite, then I'd say find some stockers on ebay. I'm not aware of any quite aftermarkets. Originally mine had D&d's that set off car alarms. Now i've got the black round jardine highmounts which are marginally better.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
I have WileyCo's on mine and they are super loud... I am debating on repacking mine

I have heard Two Brothers... not quite as loud by loud
Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
stock mufflers is the only bolt on quiet pipe solution. I have heard grumblings of yoshi pipes being quieter, but that is still compared to other aftermarket pipes... I also think it may just be cheeper to try and make an insert able baffle.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
+1 on finding an insert or just going back to stock. good, clean, cheap options!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
my leos SBK evoII came with a 2 stage baffle - they are stock quiet if used.

the first is a drilled round disk that goes between the can & midpipe ( this creates backpressure too so stock jetting can be maintained ), then
there is a baffle that fits inside the rear of the can ( it's held on by 1 screw ).

i normally use neither

it's a nice option to have if i ever take the kids on a ride.

tim

Last edited by trinc; 06-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Hey David,
I thought you were selling the bike.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Squid
Squid

Dnagmour is on a distinguished road
LOUD in the midwest

Sell your devils to somebody in the midwest. They don't give a **** about noise in the cornfields.
Hell yes, sell 'em to me. I'm out here in the open spaces and I have a couple of neighbors I'd like to get rid of anyway.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Squid

DavidEW is on a distinguished road
Yes I know it's lame to have to do this. I don't need to be told that. But I live in a a nice marina on the west side of LA and it's not old folks - families with kids, babies around, that sort of thing. I have to leave for work early - like 5AM. No one wants to hear a ******* big V twin with barely any exhaust restrictions warming up. Not even me. And I would rather reach up my *** and pull out my spine and flop around on the ground like a fish until I die than put the stock cans on. I want high mounts. Sounds like if I just go with a set of cans that have baffles in them (mine don't) it should be much better than what I have at least. I like the idea of the RC51 stock cans...will they fit with no mods? They must be quiter because I assume they have baffles...
I will take pics of my exhaust in a few days and maybe put them up for sale or swap.
Greg - I'm still debating on selling my bike but can't quite get there yet.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
+1. I have the same setup and first rode with both baffles installed and they really are as quiet as stock. I don't use the baffles now but the city counsel is now taking up the issue of loud exhaust systems here so I'm glad I have them just in case things go south.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 to what Trinc said. Leo's with both baffles are extremely quiet. One option that might help in the short term is to measure the inside diameter of the can where it joins the midpipe and put a washer with slightly smaller outside diameter and a 3/4" inside diameter there. It should take the edge off. Another poster was considering doing it a couple of years ago. I don't know what he ended up doing. The disc that Trinc was talking about works in a similar way but it has a number of holes in it rather than just one.
I
Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
I want high mounts. Sounds like if I just go with a set of cans that have baffles in them (mine don't) it should be much better than what I have at least. I like the idea of the RC51 stock cans...will they fit with no mods? They must be quiter because I assume they have baffles...
I will take pics of my exhaust in a few days and maybe put them up for sale or swap.
Greg - I'm still debating on selling my bike but can't quite get there yet.[/QUOTE]

Go to post number 50 in my " the new guy....." thread https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=7221
on how I did the RC51 mufflers.

here is a pic of what they look like with passenger pegs re-installed.

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails Need QUIET aftermarket exhaust recommendation-passenger-peg-1.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Anyone in the Denver area know of someone who can make some mid pipes up for me if I get some after market cans??
Old 06-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Squid

Dano is on a distinguished road
Call Hank down at Hanksville Hotrods. He's got a full on mandrel bender and can build you anything you want. Super awesome work out of that shop. Tell him Dano sent you.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by trinc

the first is a drilled round disk that goes between the can & midpipe ( this creates backpressure too so stock jetting can be maintained ), then
there is a baffle that fits inside the rear of the can ( it's held on by 1 screw ).

i normally use neither

it's a nice option to have if i ever take the kids on a ride.

tim
I've got the same. and yes I took them out. it sets off the odd car alarm, but idles pretty quiet.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Dano
Call Hank down at Hanksville Hotrods. He's got a full on mandrel bender and can build you anything you want. Super awesome work out of that shop. Tell him Dano sent you.
Thanks Man,
I just shot him an Email with a couple questions, I'll stop by next time I'm headed south. Do you or anyone have any idea, BALLPARK what 2 mandrel bent mid pipes would cost?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
fwiw ...

i had 2 bro's and wanted to quiet things down. i had a friend with a set of RC51 stock cans. i cut & mod'd the midpipes to fit but quickly bought a set of leo's. the RC51 pipes to me sounded like $hit ! they didn't have a low rumble they had a very tinny sound.

tim
Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 AM
Ottawa, Ont.
Squid

Riff is on a distinguished road
When I switched from stock to Wolf Racing (UK) I used to lose sleep wondering what the neighbours thought. I have heard many an aftermarket pipe but none with the basso profundo of these Wolfs. I felt I had to short-shift and lug it through the neighbourhood. One month a few Summer's ago I didn't ride much if at all, and after maybe 3 weeks absence the neighbours slowly approached me, asking where I had been. It seems my morning passage was part of their daily ritual too, kind of a reminder that this day was like the last and everything was as it should be. They never much gave it any thought until it went away, and they were basically saying to me "we want you back". Seems I worried for nothing, and maybe you too are part of your neighbourhood's "charm"? Has anyone really let you know that they are going to call Bylaw on you?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Riff
When I switched from stock to Wolf Racing (UK) I used to lose sleep wondering what the neighbours thought. I have heard many an aftermarket pipe but none with the basso profundo of these Wolfs. I felt I had to short-shift and lug it through the neighbourhood. One month a few Summer's ago I didn't ride much if at all, and after maybe 3 weeks absence the neighbours slowly approached me, asking where I had been. It seems my morning passage was part of their daily ritual too, kind of a reminder that this day was like the last and everything was as it should be. They never much gave it any thought until it went away, and they were basically saying to me "we want you back". Seems I worried for nothing, and maybe you too are part of your neighbourhood's "charm"? Has anyone really let you know that they are going to call Bylaw on you?
That is exactly what I thought!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
it sets off the odd car alarm
I always thought that this was a crappy urban myth until yesterday. Putting along at 2000rpm in an underground carpark, and sure enough "woo woo woo"

And I thought my Jardines were pretty quiet. I must be going deaf......
Old 06-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Another option are Staintunes. Both high and low mount are available with a quiet core insert. They are expensive new - but keep an eye open on ebay. I got my highmounts for $350 (one mid pipe was dented, but the rash polished out and once installed the dent is barely noticable). And they sound great. I am also leaning towards the stealth side - I don't need everyone in the next county over throwing gravel in the corner apex's waiting for my arrival!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Squid

Dano is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
Thanks Man,
I just shot him an Email with a couple questions, I'll stop by next time I'm headed south. Do you or anyone have any idea, BALLPARK what 2 mandrel bent mid pipes would cost?
I'd pick up a phone and drop him a jingle about an estimate, he should be there today. Ive you've got a welder and the time, you could probably save some money by buying pre-bent mandrels and splicing it all together. Hell of a lot of work though.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
The only "quiet" aftermarkets I've heard are the standard mount Yosh street slip ons. They are fairly quiet compared to any other aftermarkets but aren't high mounts. If you want quiet high mounts you'd probably want to go with what everyone's talking about and do some sort of custom welded high mount setup using stock mufflers. Seems like alot of effort for heavy stock sounding mufflers but if that's what you want then that's what you should do. I understand loud can get annoying after awhile.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Mr. Toad hit the nail on the head with the Staintunes. They're pricey but if you live in LA in a marina then I don't think the extra couple hundred will kill you.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DavidEW
Yes I know it's lame to have to do this. I don't need to be told that. But I live in a a nice marina on the west side of LA and it's not old folks - families with kids, babies around, that sort of thing. I have to leave for work early - like 5AM. No one wants to hear a ******* big V twin with barely any exhaust restrictions warming up. Not even me. And I would rather reach up my *** and pull out my spine and flop around on the ground like a fish until I die than put the stock cans on. I want high mounts. Sounds like if I just go with a set of cans that have baffles in them (mine don't) it should be much better than what I have at least. I like the idea of the RC51 stock cans...will they fit with no mods? They must be quiter because I assume they have baffles...
Greg - I'm still debating on selling my bike but can't quite get there yet.
I had an idea years ago when I had the Harley and had to wake up first thing in the morning and let it warm up. Go to a junk yard get an old muffler off a truck. Bolt it to something in the garage. Attach a pipe (possibly flexible rubber pipe like they use at emissions) with a y in the middle to split the pipe off for each of your cans. That way in the morning when your are done warming up just take off since the muffler is attached to the ground the hoses will pull away. Thats a million dollar red neck idea.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
Real Redneck

Sorry, but a real redneck idea would be to put the loud Superhawk cans on the old truck to make it louder and wake up the neighborhood every morning . I have lived with quite a few rednecks in my neighborhoods.

Quick Reply: Need QUIET aftermarket exhaust recommendation