Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ticking noise at high temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Squid

jon3170 is on a distinguished road
Ticking noise at high temps

I just recently picked up a '03 SH with around 11k miles. It runs perfect except for I'm hearing a slight ticking noise when I'm running at high temps.
It only happens when I've been sitting in traffic on hot days and the bike is running around 220 F. And the "ticking" sound seems to be directly tied to engine rpm; as it speeds up when I rev the motor. The sound continues until I shut off the bike and let it cool down some. Can't really notice the sound when I'm riding at speed but it is definitely audible when I'm sitting at idle.
Is this normal for a bike with this amount of miles? I'm pretty sure this bike has never had its valves adjsuted either.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Super hawk is known for ticking hehe most likely your carb slides ticking mine does the same thing after whoopin on it for a while. Sounds like a lifter tickin on a small block and goes away after 3-3500 rpm ?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Squid

jon3170 is on a distinguished road
yeah that sounds about right, it goes away when i'm not at idle. either that or i can't hear over the exhaust note. thanks for the help
Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If it only happens at high temps then it is very likely a cam chain tensioner (CCT), and probably the rear one. Use a stethescope or screwdriver-to-the-ear to pinpoint the source of the noise. If this is the problem then I recommend switching to manual CCTs, specifically ones from APE.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Squid

SuperMike is on a distinguished road
I have heard a ticking noise almost identical to this on my hawk. It is a 98 with about 28k. It does not do it all of the time. It does sound like valves, but it is kinda loud. Sounds like it comes from the crankcase but it is hard to tell since the engine is so open. It is intermittent. If I have the manual CCT's put in, will I have to have them adjusted and if so how often. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but have no experience on this engine. I just do not understand why the sound is not always there. I changed the oil, and a few days later heard it again?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuperMike
I have heard a ticking noise almost identical to this on my hawk. It is a 98 with about 28k. It does not do it all of the time. It does sound like valves, but it is kinda loud. Sounds like it comes from the crankcase but it is hard to tell since the engine is so open. It is intermittent. If I have the manual CCT's put in, will I have to have them adjusted and if so how often. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but have no experience on this engine. I just do not understand why the sound is not always there. I changed the oil, and a few days later heard it again?
yep, sounds like CCTs to me too:
here's all you'll need to do it yourself and once they are set you can forget about them

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ght=manual+cct
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
If it only happens at high temps then it is very likely a cam chain tensioner (CCT), and probably the rear one. Use a stethescope or screwdriver-to-the-ear to pinpoint the source of the noise. If this is the problem then I recommend switching to manual CCTs, specifically ones from APE.

Are they known to fail as early as 11k i was under the impression most failures occured
around 18-23 k mark. As for me i got right at 10867 miles on mine and i have had a high temp ticking noise in mine ever since i got it with 5k on it. The cct issue worried me so i pulled them out chked them over looked for chain slack etc ... found nothing even chked
my valve lash. then one day i was sync carbs with the air box off and i heard it. looked at my carb slides and put my finger on one and the noise magically disappeared.
But as with all VTR's Your mileage may vary. I do plan on putting in APE after the brakes,suspension,etc etc
Old 07-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Squid

Would it come and go do you think? I have never heard this noise when the bike was just started for the day. Sometimes when I pull up to a stop sign I hear it, and then by the end of the next mile or so its gone? It has gone days and days with out the noise? Baffling to me, but you guys have lots of experience so I think I will go ahead and change the cct. Good place to purchase or is the stealership the best option for these?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Squid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...3756.m20.l1116

Do you guys think this is what i should buy?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
That's the one!....or rather two, since you need two. Don't forget gaskets.

I had the exact same symptoms - ticking at idle when hot, more frequently when coming down from high revs. Switching to the APEs has resulted in the noise not coming back since.

The carb slide clacking is not normally at idle. The slides should not be opening at idle at all unless the idle is too high. I don't know the effect of installing the DJ jetkit though. It's my understanding that the spring is weaker and the drilled slides allow them to open more quickly. I guess anything's possible.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Superstock

Yea i think im Gonna go the Supa Mike route and jest find a deal on a set and replace b4
its a day late and and a dollar short. I really beat the livin hell outa this bike when i ride so i should prolly install a little piece of mind
Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Squid

Ok well I guess I am on the right track. It would really suck to wait until all of the valves got jacked up and put the repair into the hundreds of dollars!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Squid

How do you know how much tension to put on them, and do you recommend the locktite on all of the bolts like in the how to that was linked earlier.

I had the exact same symptoms - ticking at idle when hot, more frequently when coming down from high revs. Switching to the APEs has resulted in the noise not coming back since.

The carb slide clacking is not normally at idle. The slides should not be opening at idle at all unless the idle is too high. I don't know the effect of installing the DJ jetkit though. It's my understanding that the spring is weaker and the drilled slides allow them to open more quickly. I guess anything's possible.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Squid

VTR_kuski is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by filter69
then one day i was sync carbs with the air box off and i heard it. looked at my carb slides and put my finger on one and the noise magically disappeared.
I have had a severe case of CCT paranoia for a while, the ticking noise is very much like described in this thread. Warm engine, anywhere under 3k and comes and goes. Cannot pinpoint where it comes from, seems everywhere. Very much like an exhaust leak but cannot find one.

Today I went and bought a 7.99 stethoscope that comes with a metal rod to find the source and guess what... cam chains just make a steady whine but the carbs make the rattle I have been hearing. It is there at idle and especially loud when letting the revs come down.

Now I can enjoy riding again without pictures of bent valves in my head all the time
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTR_kuski
I have had a severe case of CCT paranoia for a while, the ticking noise is very much like described in this thread. Warm engine, anywhere under 3k and comes and goes. Cannot pinpoint where it comes from, seems everywhere. Very much like an exhaust leak but cannot find one.

Today I went and bought a 7.99 stethoscope that comes with a metal rod to find the source and guess what... cam chains just make a steady whine but the carbs make the rattle I have been hearing. It is there at idle and especially loud when letting the revs come down.

Now I can enjoy riding again without pictures of bent valves in my head all the time
Is the clicking always there when the engine is hot and idling? or is it intermittent
Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Squid

I do not know much about the carbs, or jetting or all of the other performance mods. The bike has 2bros slip on cans. Do you think that the PO would have had to adjust things in the carb or not for this type of exhaust. The bike runs great. Starts right up smoothly after turning over like once seriously, no smoke ever, no leaks ever. I have great torque, never misses through out the rpm range. Just that darn clicking occasionally. Idles at about 1100 when warm. What address do I send the payment to
Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by SuperMike
Is the clicking always there when the engine is hot and idling? or is it intermittent
I would say it gets a bit louder every now then for whatever reason. Stop at one traffic light and I can hear it but not at next. I have noticed it especially when starting the engine after a quick stop at a gas station, then I can hear it like 9 out of 10 times. I think it is easier to notice with helmet on and sitting on bike. Never seems to be there loud enough when I have tried to pinpoint it at home, until now with the stethoscope.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Squid

That is exactly what mine is doing, only I probably hear it less often. Today I rode for a bit. I was going to go to the shop and let them see what they thought. I rode around for a while, and not the first bit of noise? Go figure
Old 08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTR_kuski

That is exactly what my finding's were after an acidental find while syncing

i used a screw driver to chk afterwards
Old 08-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by filter69
That is exactly what my finding's were after an acidental find while syncing

i used a screw driver to chk afterwards
Probably easy to pick up now with a screwdriver as well. I think the biggest benefit of the stethoscope is how it blocks other sounds, maybe a screwdriver with earplug in other ear would come close.

BTW, I am not saying at all that there is no such thing as cct noise, just that diagnose it rather than change the tensioners only to find out that was not the cause. Like with any "surgery", cct change has its risks as well...