Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

removing gas tank

Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Back Marker
Thread Starter
 
StoneJrW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Posts: 204
StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
removing gas tank

I thought I read here somewhere that you had to turn something off to stop the gas from coming out when you are taking off your tank. I cant seem to find it again; is that what i need to do? The manual dosent say anything about turning anything off.
StoneJrW is offline  
Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
Lefin102's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 284
Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
On the pedcock there is a square nipple that you can turn to shut off the fuel. For fuel to flow you have to put vacuum to the side of the pedcock going to the manifold. If you lift the front of the tank you can see the square nipple on the pedcock. Grab it with a pair of pliers and turn it till it stops then it is shut off, remember to re-open it before bolting the tank down.
Lefin102 is offline  
Old 02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,015
Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Lefin102 View Post
On the pedcock there is a square nipple that you can turn to shut off the fuel. For fuel to flow you have to put vacuum to the side of the pedcock going to the manifold. If you lift the front of the tank you can see the square nipple on the pedcock. Grab it with a pair of pliers and turn it till it stops then it is shut off, remember to re-open it before bolting the tank down.
Exactly what he said, except i use a small 8MM or 10 MM wrench (forget which one it is) to turn it. Much easier to get the small wrench in there and one pass its done.
Thumper is offline  
Old 02-16-2007, 09:21 PM
  #4  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
superbling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Texas
Posts: 2,553
superbling is on a distinguished road
No need to turn off the petcock for temporary removal. Just remove the vacuum line (you'll have to anyways) along with the rest of the lines. Some gas will leak out, not from the petcock itself, but from the main lines so it's good to have an old towel tuck above the rear cyliner head.
superbling is offline  
Old 02-16-2007, 11:11 PM
  #5  
Sprung
World Champion
 
Hawkrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fulton, MO
Posts: 105,285
Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If the bike is older, sometimes the vacuum operated diaphragm gets stuck in the "on" position and it will flow fuel whether the bike is running or not.

Oh, and it's 8mm.
Hawkrider is offline  
Old 02-17-2007, 02:15 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 247
SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider View Post
If the bike is older, sometimes the vacuum operated diaphragm gets stuck in the "on" position and it will flow fuel whether the bike is running or not.

Oh, and it's 8mm.
+1, mine dumped fuel EVERYWHERE when I took the hoses off...I slipped them back on and had to dig around for my siphon. Still ended up with gasoline everywhere...didnt know about the yin-yang at the time
SuperHawkins is offline  
Old 02-17-2007, 02:42 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
joshn569's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 212
joshn569 is on a distinguished road
mines a 99 and all i did was pull the vacuum line off - i didnt even have to mess with the petcock switch.
joshn569 is offline  
Old 02-17-2007, 04:36 PM
  #8  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
superbling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Texas
Posts: 2,553
superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuperHawkins View Post
+1, mine dumped fuel EVERYWHERE when I took the hoses off...
Because of tank modding, periodical cleaning, and carb jetting/service, I'd conservatively estimate that I've removed fuel tanks on both of the 98's I've owned somewhere in the 30-50 times range. Never had an issue with a stuck petcock.

Today was NOT your day! :-)
superbling is offline  
Old 02-17-2007, 04:46 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 247
SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling View Post
Because of tank modding, periodical cleaning, and carb jetting/service, I'd conservatively estimate that I've removed fuel tanks on both of the 98's I've owned somewhere in the 30-50 times range. Never had an issue with a stuck petcock.

Today was NOT your day! :-)
My bike only has 11k miles....but it was a HARD 11k by the previous owner. (Stunted, dropped probably at least twice...he stood on the tank and collapsed the top badly which is why it came off...to be replaced by another tank!)
SuperHawkins is offline  
Old 02-17-2007, 04:54 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 758
jschmidt
Everybody's right, I think.

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Exactly what he said, except i use a small 8MM or 10 MM wrench (forget which one it is) to turn it.
This is what I was thinking too. There is really no reason why you can't turn the petcock with pliers, but if I did it my dad would rise up out of his grave and smack me in the head. ;-)
jschmidt is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
HawkRider98
General Discussion
11
07-02-2010 03:13 PM
CentralCoaster
Everything Else
9
10-10-2009 03:21 PM
Tom Blum
General Discussion
29
12-16-2007 06:42 PM
B R
Ebay
6
04-21-2007 09:02 PM
nhowner
General Discussion
24
09-04-2006 08:09 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: removing gas tank


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands