General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

larger gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
larger gas tank

Superbling, et al

What are the odds of a CBR1100XX tank being graftable to a Superhawk?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-HO...ayphotohosting

The general shape looks similar. The bottom could be dented for clearance.

Just wondering. 6+ gallons looks inviting.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Tom remember the first years of the blackbird were carburated and then injected after that. unless you need a fuel pump.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Back Marker

lefin102,

I know about the intank fuel pump, but superbling mounted a VFR tank from a fuel injected model, so that hurdle can be overcome.

Some alteration was required to eliminate the fuel pump and add a petcock. I'm hoping the same thing here might work. Perhaps with more mounting problems.

Tom
Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Tom,

I chose the vfr tank because I thought the airbox of the V4 motor would mimick the superhawks' better than any IL4 layout but I never did verify this.
I would think going with an early carb model tank (assuming it doesn't use an in-tank fuel pump like the fi models) would be EASY; just mod the bottom contour to fit the VTR airbox.

The good thing is Honda uses similiar frame layouts on all these bikes (XX, VTR, VTR) so the tank angle/mounting position is about the same. Width can be an issue tho'.

BTW, I'd skip that particular tank. Damage is too extensive. Try to find a "decent" one that you might be able to resell if you determine it won't work (before denting the bottom of course).
Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

Superbling,

Thanks . I agree. When I saw the creases I said "Oh sh*t!"
Too much body work for my taste. Still, $29.00 versus maybe $200.???

My miserly ways can bring out the dumbass gene if I'm not careful.

Tom
Old 02-09-2007, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, I don't know the XX tank market so it may be a "beggars can't be chosers" kind of thing but with the VTEC VFR's a simple tipover can dent the tank due to the side fairings so they are a dime-a-dozen on ebay. I've seen 'em as low as $19.99 but less than $50 is the norm. This is another reason I opted for the viffer model.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Back Marker

got it!!

I won an eBay auction for an XX tank, complete with fuel pump, gas cap and sensor.

Got it for $31 plus S&H, so I guess it just depends on luck. No major dent or creases on this one, either.$40 freight, though. WOOO!

Miles of Smiles
Tom
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tom Blum
I won an eBay auction for an XX tank, complete with fuel pump, gas cap and sensor.

Got it for $31 plus S&H, so I guess it just depends on luck. No major dent or creases on this one, either.$40 freight, though. WOOO!

Miles of Smiles
Tom
I'm sure you know we're anxiously awaiting word on fitment. Way to be another experimenter/innovator! That is highly respected around these parts.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Back Marker

schedule

Hell! I don't even have the bike in my possession yet. Planned pickup is on the 24th of this month.

Somewhere between April and June, the tank will be mounted, the bars will be raised and the pegs will be lowered.

Tom
Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I love this forum ! You guys make me feel young. Raised bars, lowered footpegs, extended range and extra wind protection. Sounds almost like the ST1300 forum !
Old 02-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Back Marker

Bird of Prey says:
"I love this forum ! You guys make me feel young. Raised bars, lowered footpegs, extended range and extra wind protection. Sounds almost like the ST1300 forum"

Says the man with a Kawasaki Concours parked next to the hawk. <G>

Like I said elsewhere, If I was a Rich Man, (la di dah di da di dah)), I would buy a KTM adventure. But I'm not. I live in Florida, where, on a good day, you see 11 curves in 318 miles. Getting there is half the fun.

Plus I love modifying.

Check this one out. It's a bit rough and too heavy, hence, Adventure II
http://mysite.verizon.net/teblum/June%2021.htm

Miles of Smiles
Tom
Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Tank

I had an 04 St 1300....amazing motorcycle...dead equal performance as VTR...handled better than a bike that big should...300 miles per tank easy..after CEE-Bailey windshield...comfort wow...does look like a Burgamn though...But the VTR has charmed me...no regrets...Anxious to hear how XX tank works...

Dave:-D
Old 02-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tom Blum
Bird of Prey says:
"I love this forum ! You guys make me feel young. Raised bars, lowered footpegs, extended range and extra wind protection. Sounds almost like the ST1300 forum"

Says the man with a Kawasaki Concours parked next to the hawk. <G>

Check this one out. It's a bit rough and too heavy, hence, Adventure II
http://mysite.verizon.net/teblum/June%2021.htm
sold the concours to help pay for the YZF, will change my info.
Dayum! I think you've created a new catagory: Highway Fighter !
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 AM
zam
Squid

zam is on a distinguished road
You gotta be happy that you live in Europe and already have a larger tank as stock =)
Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Back Marker

larger tank bump

Hi guys. got back into the larger tank part of the project.

Turns out the CBR1100XX tank is really big. The pictures in the photo gallery show that it overlaps about two or three inches of the seat.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/galle...00/ppuser/2067

I have Daytona bend bars fitted up and seem to have enough clearance. bars touch tank just before the lock.

But, my question is: How much will I miss those few inches of seat? I often ride scooted forward with my belly resting on the tank. I guess I won't have to scoot as far forward, eh??
superbling:
Do you think I should trim the front of the seat to allow the tank to get as low as possible?

I have cut the stock tank mounts off of a damaged tank and plan to weld them to the big tank. I have also trimmed the stock mounting tabs off of the big tank.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Dances with Guardrails
Squid

icepick is on a distinguished road
I'm attempting the same route, having an XX to test fit with. I'm figuring to cut the bottom of the underside off the XX tank (leaving a flange) and weld the bottom of the SH tank to it. There will be some seat mods required, and I intend to take a look at truncating the front of the tank some and scooting it forward so that I don't lose so much of the seat.

What was your plan?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by icepick
I'm attempting the same route, having an XX to test fit with. I'm figuring to cut the bottom of the underside off the XX tank (leaving a flange) and weld the bottom of the SH tank to it. There will be some seat mods required, and I intend to take a look at truncating the front of the tank some and scooting it forward so that I don't lose so much of the seat.

What was your plan?
Have you seen the VFR tank mod? It's a bolt on by comparison to what you are needing to do to the XX tank.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Dances with Guardrails
Squid

I followed the VFR swap closely, it was what gave me the idea to test-fit my XX tank. I found that the SH tank is more concave near the back to form over the rear cylinder.

The earlier XX tanks are 5.8 gallons. That would be reduced somewhat by the contour of the SH lower, and further reduced if the front is trimmed as well. But I think I can set it on the bike lower than another method, and make it look/fit better.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Back Marker

Ice pick

I agree about welding the bottom of a stock superhawk tank to the XX.
Good idea.

I tried a test fit with my buddies XX seat. It can be done and will fit up neatly against the back of the tank.

My phase 1 was going to be to make a plate to cover the FI pump hole and put the gas valve there.

But, I've worked hard to get the sit up and beg riding position I wanted. It's finally about right with Daytona bend bars.
If I have to sit back much I lose that. That's a deal breaker for me.

So, the whole project is on hold for a while.

Tom
Old 08-21-2007, 09:49 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
VFR Tank vs. XX Tank

Having done the VFR tank mod ( 98-01 model year VFR ) I have to strongly agree with Superbling.
It holds 5.5 gallons and installs with relatively minor mods, i.e. no welding required.
You'll have to make an adaptor plate for the fuel valve and modify the airbox lid to clear the fuel sender besides slightly indenting the front of the tunnel to clear the airbox lid in the front on either side.
It also follows the contour of the frame quite well and feels the same as far as leg spread
( sorry ) is concerned.
Also the reach to the bars is about the same and I raised the seat height about an inch to give my knees a break.
I've included one detail shot of the fuel valve and rear mount and what the bike looks like with the tank installed.

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails larger gas tank-image015.jpg   larger gas tank-image008.jpg  

Last edited by kai ju; 08-21-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Dances with Guardrails
Squid

"Minor mods" are a matter of relativity. Not having the appropriate tools for such an endeavor would perhaps place my course of action into the realm of "major". Cutting and buzzing a tank would not fall outside the parameters of "minor" for me.

That said, the pics posted by Kai Ju look pretty good. I recall the pics posted by 'bling didn't look as good, but I think they were preliminary and not of the finished product. I didn't like the looks of the tank contour vs. the frame.

Could Kai Ju post more (closer) pics of the side of the bike, where the frame meets the tank? And of the seat/tank interface?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Squid

jamesr242 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I wanna see some more pics if you have any. Maybe from the front to see if it bulges out the side at all. Looks pretty good in the pic though. How long did it take you?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
SuperSport

Details, details........

Sorry about the delay but here are some pics, as requested.
As you can see the tank shape follows the frame rather nicely with no overhang.
It is slightly longer which forced me to shorten the seat about half an inch.
I also had to raise it which gave me more legroom and allowed the installation of a second fan, so all in all a winning combo, more range, and more comfort to do so.

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails larger gas tank-tank-frame-gap.jpg   larger gas tank-tank-frame-contour.jpg   larger gas tank-seat-junction.jpg   larger gas tank-fuel-valve.jpg   larger gas tank-rear-mount.jpg  

Old 10-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Squid

98blackhawk is on a distinguished road
is the vfr red the same as the hawk?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 98blackhawk
is the vfr red the same as the hawk?
Yup, 157 Italian red; one exception is the 2005 vfr is winning red (forget the #).
Old 12-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Squid

matrixcai is on a distinguished road
im thinking about a aux tank under the seat. for extra fuel my ideas are as follows;;;;it will fill at the same time as the tank through a seloniod valve open during fueling..then rig up a pressure air source to charge tank..as the main tank gets low..open selonoid valve and refill tank...all i need is time and im figuring about 50.00 use aircraft AN bulkhead fittings and fuel lines. -4 fitting and S9412-554 oring to seal it..bulk fuel line or have some made with -4 "b" nuts...Falcon900 aircraft use similar tank set up but on a large scale
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Back Marker

update time

If anyone follows my antics, you will recall that I am trying to convert my superhawk into a "poorman's KTM Adventure tour"

As posted elsewhere, now that I have a situp and beg riding position with the new bars, I need to rework the seat to eliminate sliding forward into the tank.

I have a 6 gal CBR1100XX tank on hand. Compared to the Stock
Superhawk tank, it is HUGE!!! I couldn't figure out a way to install it without altering the seat.

I'm going to try to combine the two projects by shortening the seat to allow installing the tank (it's a lot longer).

We'll see where this ends up sometime this winter.

Tom

Tom
Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Squid

matrixcai is on a distinguished road
one thing to consider. im a small guy with short arms. a tank that is farther aft will make for an uncomfortable ride and every bump felt in a place not good ..more gas for a longer uncomfortable ride..hummmmm not trying to be negative, something you may of not thought of..hope it turns out well for all of us...
Old 12-16-2007, 02:38 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Why not

wacking a VTR tank like I did? Was relatively easy but I can weld. One day I'll repaint it so the fast red matches better...
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM
SuperSport

Hey Tom

The VFR tank mod will give you the extra range and, the way I did mine, also take care of the seat issue. As a bonus it will also give you more leg room.
I had to raise the seat about an inch to get the proper seat tank junction as well as shorten it about 3/8 to 1/2
You can see the riser blocks in the pic, they are attached with riv-nuts.
The tailsection now attaches to the riser blocks instead of the subframe.
Look at some my earlier posts in this thread for more pics of the tank to frame junction.
I love the extra legroom which also helps with the extra distance I can go.

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails larger gas tank-dscn0378.jpg  

Last edited by kai ju; 12-17-2007 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add pics