Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Rattling sound

Old 09-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Hawk
Squid

fromanoc is on a distinguished road
Rattling sound

Hey, I'm new in the forum. I had my 98 VTR for 3 months now. I usually read on the web about the rattling sound on the VTR due to the CCT's and to be carefull with it. My bike does a rattling sound but only when accelerating uphill, when the engine has to put some effort on it. I red in the bike's manual that when the bike us under heavy load the engine will make a rattling sound, and that it is totally normal, something about the valves I think it says.
Should I worry about it ??

thank you
Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
are you lugging it when it's making the rattle? do you suspect detonation? it could just be carb slides rattling. mine rattle when I'm under power until my exhaust gets too loud to hear them over it.. So, solution: Buy loud exhaust
Old 09-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Squid

rigoshawk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up rattle

I just had the same question about the same noise on my hawk. The noise is most audible when taking off from a stop. It sounded like engine detonation/ping noise to me. However, the reply to my symptom came up as being carburetor slide noise; which is normal. The noise is not present when you sit at idle and just wrap the throttle. It is only under load. I believe this is due to vaccuum (sp) fluctuation to the slide diaghrams. I had also adjusted the tps sensor in hopes of retarding ignition timing but, it made no change. I bought my hawk with 60k miles on it and thought it might be wear but, it burns no oil, runs perfect and is very strong. So, I believe the more experienced hawk people on this forum are correct about the noise. Actually, I think the only rider that had replied was Hawkrider; who seems to be da man!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Who, me? Nah, I'm just a post *****!

J/K. Always here to help.