Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Question? temperature gauge light

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:46 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Question? temperature gauge light

I have a 2000 SH. At the "H" end of the termperature gauge is a red light - I never noticed it before because I don't think I've ever seen it on. Now it is on. After replacing my engine a couple weeks ago I finally got parts I was waiting for to put it all together. It starts and runs and the needle moves to the lower third while warming up, but the red light is on and stays on, even when engine is stone cold? Anyone encounter this. I can't find any reference to the light in the owners manual to see if it means something else, I've been assuming it means too hot. I filled radiators according to shop directions and have tried to bleed the air out. Tested the gauge by grounding the wire to the sensor and it quickly goes to H. Like I said, the gauge comes up appropriately but the light is always on. Any ideas?

thanks

bill
Old 03-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Pics please. I too have a 2000 model. at the hot end of the temp scale is a red square that can be pretty bright looking from the back lighting. could it be that you're viewing it in a darkened garage or something ? I don't believe it's an actual light but it does look pretty bright at night.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Birdoprey is correct. No light.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:58 AM
SuperBike

Doh!~! I think you are right. Its the same color as the tach redline. I'm just so paranoid after replacing everything and bleeding the radiators that I noticing all kinds of things I never did. But I think you are correct and thank you. I posted some pics in another thread a couple weeks ago about my weekend. I'll update it.

bill
Old 03-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
'Tis better to err on the side of caution'
'The king sat on his throne and thought 'I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?'
Old 03-18-2007, 11:50 AM
SuperBike

Good point. I got another reminder of that putting the engine back in. I had rejetted the carbs for some mods I'd done and squirted out the pilot jets and other passageways also (but didn't remove the pilots). The carbs had been sitting since last fall after running stabile through the bike. So I get it all together and it runs (delight!) but won't accept any gas or run without the choke. Again, first thought it what vacuum tube have I forgotten, or part of the ignition not working, or the cam timing etc etc. But after calmly thinking and worrying I figured it had to be either the needle, or pilot ciruit. Checked the plugs and they were as clean as new. Removed everything, and sure enough both pilots were plugged! Took quite a while of blasting them to get them clean. If I would have just removed them when I rejetted to be sure I would have saved myself hours. live and (re)learn these simple lessons.

anyway, thanks for the info - this board is amazing and it seems to be a cool mix of some new SH users and those who would rather mod and tinker than simply go out and buy the latest/greatest (me included).

bill