Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Lucky day: Fixed coolant temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Lucky day: Fixed coolant temperature gauge

I put together my bike after a crash awhile back and my coolant temperature gauge didn't work. Being burned out after a month of working on the bike, I checked to make sure my radiator fan went on when the engine warmed up, did a little riding and put the bike away about a month ago.
I finally got around to working on the coolant gauge today using shop manual procedures. I ground out the gauge like the manual said and the gauge tested fine. @#$%&! The shop manual says if the gauge works, the next step is to test the thermosensor.This involves draining the coolant out of the radiators and some other crap I just didn't feel like doing. Well, having come from the lazy man's duct tape and bailing wire school of repair I decided I would try two things:

1) If an impact screwed things up, an impact would fix it right? I took my rubber body shop hammer and gently tapped the thermosensor housing a few times.

2) Maybe the connector got jostled or got dirt in it during the crash? I cleaned the inside of the connector and sanded the thermocouple contact making sure to pinch the connector on the unit tightly.

Wala! The idiot savant route worked! I fired up the bike and the coolant gauge works fine! Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket tonight.....
Old 01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
K.I.S.S school of mechanics at it's best...

Unfortunately that rarely translates to lottery tickets...
Old 01-13-2008, 02:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Some object to my signature line but it's really true depending on whose neighborhood you live in. My first was a Texan, living in a prodominately German community surrounded by smaller towns that were all Norwegian and Swedes.

How many Texans does it take to eat an Armadillo? Three - one eats - the other two watch for traffic. And so on . . .
Old 01-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Thread title made me think you had your temp gauge fixed in Santa Poco by the Three Amigos!