Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Oil Temp sender location

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Oil Temp sender location

If you were to want to pull oil temps using either a thermocouple or direct fit elec temp sensor .. to record oil temps..
Where would you look to install the sensor?

Ideally I would have one before and after the oil cooler.... but as it is a want mostly to see what the oil temps are leaving the motor (are the temps at the point of causing oil degradation) and then if they are higher then i want... after a new cooler install I'll see if it truly lowers the temps.

So for the first part, it can be a temp install location,,,, no need to be protected, clean, out of the way.. I can test for a short period carefully..
If the temps are high,, then after the cooler install, I'll want a good clean install.

Before suggesting..a location... I have the ability to machine fittings, weld, modify, adapt aluminum, steel ti,ect.. so this is not a bolt in only location using off the shelf plumbing parts... though for the initial quick test, that would be ok as well.

Additionally.... Has anyone done oil temp \data collection on this bike? If so i'd love to see the data and the protocol used.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-12-2013 at 07:07 AM.