Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Need guidance: Radial MC

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Need guidance: Radial MC

As the title says I'm looking for guidance on Radial MCs. Some of you may have seen my thread on the Speigler yoke set up I did with flat bars. I'm having clearance issues with the MC pistons and the fork tubes and want to replace the MCs to allow for better figment. I've tried looking on the forum but I can't seem to find an answer. I know Brembo is the leader in the field and some OEM Ducati and Aprilla fit, but those are still in the upper end of my spending comfort zone. I also see Nissin makes them, are they still reliable and good? I assume so as the OEM are Nission, but I want some guidance before I purchas. As of now I'm keeping the stock pots and lines, hopefully to be upgrades on the future. Sorry for the long post but to tell you what I told you: Radial MCs, where to look and what to get.

Thanks all!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
what calipers re you running? If you have teh stock unit, I firmly recommend getting an OEM Brembo as used on late-model R1s and R6s (though not eh R1 witht eh 6-piston calipers). It`s a 16x18 so should work nicely (the Sumitomo calipers used on those bike have teh same size caliper pistons as teh VTR, ie. 27/30mm). You should b able to find one for a decent price too (plus theu will alrady be set-up with a microswitch for the brake light).

As a final note, if you have the stock calipers, do NOT let yourself be swayed by the ill-founded diatribe about getting a 19x20..... many confuse a very stiff lever with stopping power, when in fact the opposite is true. The only other possible alternative (rasonably proced anyhow) for teh stock units would be the Nissin 17.5x18 used on some late-model CBRs, ZXs and GSX-Rs (though the aforementioned Bremmbo would be my first choice, based primariiy on its being a perfect match for the piston sizes)

Last edited by mikstr; 06-12-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Superstock

By late model are we talking post 2000 or post 2010? I am running stock lines with stock calipers. And +1 for a damn quick response
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
MotoGP

for the R6, every radial MC has been the mentioned unit. As for the R1, IIRC, it`s every radial MC prior to the 6-piston calipers (which I beleive were introd. in 2007), so I think 2003-2006.....

Hope this helps.....
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Superstock

In looking I believe that post 01 should work for the brake, but I'm not finding clutch MCs for the R6 or R1, do they have a hydraulic clutch?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM
MotoGP

for teh clutch side, I think the Yams have cable clutches. I am running an OEM Brembo radial clutch MC from a late-model Ducati (15x18) and it works very well, slightly lighter action......
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Superstock

Thanks, that answers all my questions! Ill post up the results after I get them and hook them up. It'll be a month or so because I'm getting DMr springs and valving for the forks in a few days. If only time came in the same amount as ideas....