Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Not the R/R...really confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Not the R/R...really confused

You probably recall that I posted a topic about an electrical issue not too long ago: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t=electricical

well I replaced my r/r with a brand new one, recharged my brand new battery that went dead from the old r/r and thought I was good to go. That lasted me about 2 weeks. After I got the new r/r I took a short ride (6-8 miles) and everything seemed good. Then we had some shitty weather and the bike sat for about a week but I checked it every so often to be sure it still started and it did every time. Today I went for a quick errand across town and then took the long way home to enjoy the stellar weather we are having when the son of a bitch cut off at a stop light. I tried to push start it to no avail and now it's dead as can be all over again.

symptoms:
all lights come on but will not even turn over, just clicks. I have not checked the battery again yet, but like i said it was brand new and fully charged so its acting like something is draining the battery again.

Last edited by Mattaua; 09-30-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:39 PM
insane
Squid

V-king is on a distinguished road
after you replaced the r/r did you make measurements to see how much is the current at the battery with the engine running?
it should be around 14,2-14,5volts at 1500 - 2000 rpm.
and you can try switching the battery with a know good one from a friend, and then repeat the measurements.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mattaua
You probably recall that I posted a topic about an electrical issue not too long ago: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23788&highlight=electricical

well I replaced my r/r with a brand new one, recharged my brand new battery that went dead from the old r/r and thought I was good to go. That lasted me about 2 weeks. After I got the new r/r I took a short ride (6-8 miles) and everything seemed good. Then we had some shitty weather and the bike sat for about a week but I checked it every so often to be sure it still started and it did every time. Today I went for a quick errand across town and then took the long way home to enjoy the stellar weather we are having when the son of a bitch cut off at a stop light. I tried to push start it to no avail and now it's dead as can be all over again.

symptoms:
all lights come on but will not even turn over, just clicks. I have not checked the battery again yet, but like i said it was brand new and fully charged so its acting like something is draining the battery again.
You have to verify the the "new" Ebay R/R is working as advertised by taking the measurements. How long did you let the bike run after you started it? Do you have it on a battery tender? What is your battery voltage right now?

Last edited by RWhisen; 09-30-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The fact that the old R\R killed the battery may have cause damage to it, so even though it is a "new" battery it might be toast......
Old 09-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by RWhisen
You have to verify the the "new" Ebay R/R is working as advertised by taking the measurements. How long did you let the bike run after you started it? Do you have it on a battery tender? What is your battery voltage right now?
How long did I let it run, or drive? I let it run for maybe 5 minutes then drove it. I drove it maybe 6 miles or so with 2 stops in between. It died while in traffic sitting at a stop light. Yes I had it on a battery tender. don't know the voltage because I don't have the tools to measure that.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:59 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Mechanic's credo: verify the repair, in this case a $12 meter might be handy.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mattaua
How long did I let it run, or drive? I let it run for maybe 5 minutes then drove it. I drove it maybe 6 miles or so with 2 stops in between. It died while in traffic sitting at a stop light. Yes I had it on a battery tender. don't know the voltage because I don't have the tools to measure that.
Do you mean the tool, or the "tool"? If you dont have a DMM, and you do your own "stunts" (working with electrical), that is a no brainer. If you dont have the "tool", meaning the knowledge and skill, that is a no brainer. Searching the KB will get you what you need, and the money for a DMM beats F-ing around with a dead bike on the road.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Superstock

I am definitely no mechanic...soo the verdict is I need to check the battery to make sure its not totally beyond charging straight up dead....then what?

Last edited by Mattaua; 09-30-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
did you search, or are you asking?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Superstock

nevermind
Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Check and verify battery status, R/R at various RPM, stator, groundpoints... And I'm going to assume you know either how to do this, or how to find the information...
Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM
SH NEWBIE
Squid

WillieSH is on a distinguished road
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html

3.49 for a great Multi-Meter.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
We'll cover this again:

After repalcing the R/R take measurements at the battery terminals to verify that the voltage with the engine running is between 14.2-14.5 volts at 1500-2000 rpm. This verifies that the charging system is operating as advertised.

To do this you will need a multimeter, easily obtainable at Radio Crack, Harbor Freight or the like. It doesn't have to be a Fluke, just something you can use.

If your charging system checks good the next step is to have your battery tested. You can have your battery tested for free at Autozone or some other auto parts store. Don't let them hook your motorcycle up to the machine to do a "load" test no matter what they tell you.