Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Confused on the front caliper swap issue....???

Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Confused on the front caliper swap issue....???

I always like tinkering on my bikes and love making things work better, so I have done a lot of research on my newish VTR here on the forum. One of the things that pops up a lot is getting more braking out of the front end by swapping to GSXR/954/929 calipers. I don't understand...I got a good deal on a pair of 01-03GSXR calipers on Ebag and when I got them in my hands...I couldn't see any difference from my stockers. Both are 4 piston type. Both had same size pads. I put the Gixxer's back on Ebay and resold them. I was looking on Ebay again under 954/929 calipers and they all look exactly like the ones already on my bike. Did the previous owner already swap them? Is there some distinct year that had bigger pads or what?
Already have SS lines...I may pick up some semi metallic pads.......
Old 08-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi Redman, GSXR 1000 calipers are 6 pistons not 4 and direct bolt on, 954-929rr-rc51 they are 4 piston calipers but larger in piston's diameter size. In order to improve stopping power will include SS lines, diff brake MC (f4i,gsxr,929,954,rc51...) and after market pads. I have Suzu caliper, EBC pads, Russel SS, F4i MC, Pazzo lever for my S-Hawk braking power very comparable to Brembo on my other bike 80/100. Good luck, ride safe.
Later James.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:01 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i was looking into this also. what i found was everybody i talked to said that the gixxer brakes suck & why would i want to go that route ? ( on the gixxer not on the superhawk ) so.... if i did change them you'll need something larger than the 14mm m/c.

i currently have braided lines with EBC HH pads, the initial bite is good but i do get fade on track days and 'spirited' rides.

another thing ( or extra $$$ ) is that i have pazzo levers so changing m/c could mean i'd have to buy another lever.

so i decided to go with a little larger m/c and a set of Vesrah RJL pads.
my local shop doesn't stock them for our bike so it'll be a week or so before they come in. Just picked up a cbr900rr m/c on ebay so we'll see how it goes.
( which uses the same lever )

tim
Old 08-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Superstock

Post back would'ja? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi Tim, S-hawk have 14mm MC but F4i have 16mm plus the advantage of using aftermarket adjustable clicker levers so you can eleminate some free place (honda vtr s-hawk and f4i sharing same lever) and if i have larger brake rotors-aftermarket rotors the improving in braking should be greater. Someone w/Rc51 or 954 front end swap and mod will have this advantage if i know what i know now w/SHawk i would go this way.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinity012
Hi Tim, S-hawk have 14mm MC but F4i have 16mm plus the advantage of using aftermarket adjustable clicker levers so you can eleminate some free place (honda vtr s-hawk and f4i sharing same lever) and if i have larger brake rotors-aftermarket rotors the improving in braking should be greater. Someone w/Rc51 or 954 front end swap and mod will have this advantage if i know what i know now w/SHawk i would go this way.
the cbr900rr is also 16mm and uses the same handle.

i was thinking about the RC51 but 19mm on the stock calipers may be too much ? anyway i just scored a 900 mc on ebay for $14 !

tim
Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Alot of people swap the MC's as a starter...

I did a RC51 MC unit with braided lines and liked the feel... not sure it was "more powerful" but I didn't need to pull the level as hard or far to get alot of bite. I then mounted a set of RC51 calipers which made a very noticeable difference. The pads are much larger, as well as the pistons..... You will need to grind away a small amount of material to make them fit (same with 929/954 calipers). I'd recommend buying all the parts from the same model.... RC master and rc calipers... 929 master and calipers, etc.... they were designed to work together, and should continue to give you great feel and bite....

J.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth I did the RC51 MC and calipers with Brake Tech 320mm ductile iron rotors and Sintergrip XR pads. Sweeet

Brake Tech has new Nissin radial 19mm x 18mm master cylinders for $215.00. Not bad price for new radial M/C.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Only the 01-03 GSX-R 1000 calipers bolt straight on the VTR? How about other yrs models?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
01-02 gixxer1000 only. Redman probably bought 600 or 750 calipers. Anyhow, you want the matching m/c too. Add SS lines and hh pads for even more power/better feel.

I'm assuming the "bad" heard about them is from the gixxer crowd. Maybe they are marginal on 160+hp bike but not on a 105hp VTR.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 on the GSXR calipers I noticed a HUGE improvement and even more so after the front end swap with 320mm rotors. If they suck so much why are they so sought after by the 600 and 750 GSXR owners? From what I've heard they don't have the same feel as say the SV 4 piston calipers but suck, I don't think so. If I was to do a swap again though I would go with a front end with radial brakes, tried my buddy's '06 GSXR1000 out all I can say is SWEEEET!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I just picked up a set myself, and it's huge diff. I bought a set of organic pads just to be able to use them, but have a set of DP HH's on the way. Now I'm looking for a M/C to go with them. Redman, What I noticed is that you have to pay attention to the pics on E-Bay. Since they are interchangeable most are listed as GSXR 600/750/1000, even though they are only the 4 piston. Now for the really dumb part, I got them on and after a ride noticed a drip of fluid on the right caliper, thinking it was a seal, I looked for a rebuild kit, but other than the dealer didn't see much available. So being impatient, and short on time lately (the extra $$ from working tons of overtime also made me do this) I just bought another set of calipers. Today I decided to take a closer look and noticed fluid around the banjo on the caliper. It was tight so I took it off, replaced the washers and guess what?, no more drip. When the next set gets here they are going back on E-Bay so keep your eyes out if interested.
Doug O.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:26 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
GSXR 6pot

I have been running a 95 gsxr750 UD front end on my 87 GSXR 750 for a few years now. They are the best brakes for road I have ever used, very sensitive and predictable. I can dance thru the corners, use brake at any point and do so with one or two fingers. They are rigged with kevlar pads, free floated rotors, braided lines, and safety wired bolts. Stock gsxr m/c. I don't know how it will compare to the Hawk cause I haven't ridden it yet... One or two more nites in the shed and it will be time to fire it up.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 AM
Superstock

Ended up with RC51 MC and calipers....lost the auction on the 6pot GXSRs and already had the RC's. Don't know what pads are in them but there's enough meat on them to leave'm for now.
Much better braking power and feel. One finger for up to 3/4 speed riding. Cost was minimal...$100 or so off of Ebag and 1/2 hour with dremel...a little off caliper ridge, more off fork leg mounting lug and bleed time. Very glad I did it. If you ride fast...do it. Make sure you get the reservoir with the MC though. The cheap bastard didn't send mine with it and the stock one will work but it's hard to mount, needs a longer hose, and I'll replace it some day. Anyone want stockers cheap???