SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Not the R/R...really confused (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/not-r-r-really-confused-23906/)

Mattaua 09-30-2010 03:02 PM

Not the R/R...really confused

You probably recall that I posted a topic about an electrical issue not too long ago: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t=electricical

well I replaced my r/r with a brand new one, recharged my brand new battery that went dead from the old r/r and thought I was good to go. That lasted me about 2 weeks. After I got the new r/r I took a short ride (6-8 miles) and everything seemed good. Then we had some shitty weather and the bike sat for about a week but I checked it every so often to be sure it still started and it did every time. Today I went for a quick errand across town and then took the long way home to enjoy the stellar weather we are having when the son of a bitch cut off at a stop light. I tried to push start it to no avail and now it's dead as can be all over again.

symptoms:
all lights come on but will not even turn over, just clicks. I have not checked the battery again yet, but like i said it was brand new and fully charged so its acting like something is draining the battery again.

V-king 09-30-2010 03:39 PM

after you replaced the r/r did you make measurements to see how much is the current at the battery with the engine running?
it should be around 14,2-14,5volts at 1500 - 2000 rpm.
and you can try switching the battery with a know good one from a friend, and then repeat the measurements.

RWhisen 09-30-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mattaua (Post 282793)
You probably recall that I posted a topic about an electrical issue not too long ago: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23788&highlight=electricical

well I replaced my r/r with a brand new one, recharged my brand new battery that went dead from the old r/r and thought I was good to go. That lasted me about 2 weeks. After I got the new r/r I took a short ride (6-8 miles) and everything seemed good. Then we had some shitty weather and the bike sat for about a week but I checked it every so often to be sure it still started and it did every time. Today I went for a quick errand across town and then took the long way home to enjoy the stellar weather we are having when the son of a bitch cut off at a stop light. I tried to push start it to no avail and now it's dead as can be all over again.

symptoms:
all lights come on but will not even turn over, just clicks. I have not checked the battery again yet, but like i said it was brand new and fully charged so its acting like something is draining the battery again.

You have to verify the the "new" Ebay R/R is working as advertised by taking the measurements. How long did you let the bike run after you started it? Do you have it on a battery tender? What is your battery voltage right now?

8541Hawk 09-30-2010 04:31 PM

The fact that the old R\R killed the battery may have cause damage to it, so even though it is a "new" battery it might be toast......

Mattaua 09-30-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 282801)
You have to verify the the "new" Ebay R/R is working as advertised by taking the measurements. How long did you let the bike run after you started it? Do you have it on a battery tender? What is your battery voltage right now?

How long did I let it run, or drive? I let it run for maybe 5 minutes then drove it. I drove it maybe 6 miles or so with 2 stops in between. It died while in traffic sitting at a stop light. Yes I had it on a battery tender. don't know the voltage because I don't have the tools to measure that.

thetophatflash 09-30-2010 04:59 PM

Mechanic's credo: verify the repair, in this case a $12 meter might be handy.

autoteach 09-30-2010 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mattaua (Post 282804)
How long did I let it run, or drive? I let it run for maybe 5 minutes then drove it. I drove it maybe 6 miles or so with 2 stops in between. It died while in traffic sitting at a stop light. Yes I had it on a battery tender. don't know the voltage because I don't have the tools to measure that.

Do you mean the tool, or the "tool"? If you dont have a DMM, and you do your own "stunts" (working with electrical), that is a no brainer. If you dont have the "tool", meaning the knowledge and skill, that is a no brainer. Searching the KB will get you what you need, and the money for a DMM beats F-ing around with a dead bike on the road.

Mattaua 09-30-2010 05:46 PM

I am definitely no mechanic...soo the verdict is I need to check the battery to make sure its not totally beyond charging straight up dead....then what?

autoteach 09-30-2010 06:01 PM

did you search, or are you asking?

Mattaua 09-30-2010 06:03 PM

nevermind

Tweety 09-30-2010 06:10 PM

Check and verify battery status, R/R at various RPM, stator, groundpoints... And I'm going to assume you know either how to do this, or how to find the information...

WillieSH 10-02-2010 06:50 PM

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html

3.49 for a great Multi-Meter.

RWhisen 10-02-2010 07:03 PM

We'll cover this again:

After repalcing the R/R take measurements at the battery terminals to verify that the voltage with the engine running is between 14.2-14.5 volts at 1500-2000 rpm. This verifies that the charging system is operating as advertised.

To do this you will need a multimeter, easily obtainable at Radio Crack, Harbor Freight or the like. It doesn't have to be a Fluke, just something you can use.

If your charging system checks good the next step is to have your battery tested. You can have your battery tested for free at Autozone or some other auto parts store. Don't let them hook your motorcycle up to the machine to do a "load" test no matter what they tell you.