Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Noob hereHow does the TPS go back together

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 AM
Squid

JoeSnowden is on a distinguished road
Noob hereHow does the TPS go back together

Hello guys, I have just bought a Firestorm (I'm in the UK) and it needs a few bit putting back on. I was wrestling with the carbs to put them on only to realise once I did get them on I forgot to screw in the chokes. Trying to get them back of was difficult so I thought, hmm easy, I'l just undo this side plate holding the two carbs together and ping! What I believe to be parts of the TPS popped out, a spring and a plastic piece which I pressume the spring rotates?

My question, how do I put it back together?

Many thanks,

Joe
Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Joe,

The best way to do this is to pull the carbs, slot the shear screws holding on the TPS (with a Dremel), and use a flat-blade screwdriver to remove the TPS bolts. You need to CAREFULLY put it back on. Many guys have broken theirs attempting to reinstall it. There is a pin that has to go into a slot on the linkage. Miss the slot and try to tighten it? Voila, broken TPS.

Once the carbs are together, install the carb heating hoses, choke cables, and throttle cables. Then install the carbs on the motor.

The carbs will, and must, go on as a set. Try some silicone spray to aid getting them into the intake boots. Do one, then the other. Ensure they are fully seated and then tighten the clamps.

Since you have loosened the connecting brackets you MUST do a carb sync and adjust the TPS once the bike is running again.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Here is the microfiche of the carb assembly, hope this helps http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...ARBURETOR_ASSY
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Any be very careful with the choke pieces being that they are plastic, they can and will break very easily. I learned the hard way with the front choke assembly.

Welcome to the forum
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JoeSnowden
Hello guys, I have just bought a Firestorm (I'm in the UK) and it needs a few bit putting back on. I was wrestling with the carbs to put them on only to realise once I did get them on I forgot to screw in the chokes. Trying to get them back of was difficult so I thought, hmm easy, I'l just undo this side plate holding the two carbs together and ping! What I believe to be parts of the TPS popped out, a spring and a plastic piece which I pressume the spring rotates?

My question, how do I put it back together?

Many thanks,

Joe
did you get the tps back together again? I just took mine off. Slotted the screws and couldn't get them out. I had to cut the washers on each side of the screw and tap it apart gently and then the screws came out easily. Careful not to cut into the plastic like I did a little. I'm not sure how to adjust yet, but, while it's off, you can hold it in your hand, touch the middle and outside prongs/leads with an Ohmeter, and see that as you turn the the little arm on the back, the ohms change. I think the mannual says to turn until it reaches 500 OHMS. It seems like about an 1/8 turn counterclockwise preloads the little spring a bit.

thanks, nathan
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
If the spring and plastic came off, then your TPS is broken. Don't bother trying to glue it, it won't hold

I broke mine messing with the carbs too.

The only good news is the bike will run fine without it. I put maybe 1500 miles on mine before the replacement showed up.

You might also be able to get one of the car units to fit on there. They appear to be exactly the same except the plug comes off at a different angle. They're wayy cheaper. I don't know if there's enough slack in the wire harness or not.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 PM
SuperSport

Here's a car unit:

Yours should look basically the same.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Squid

JoeSnowden is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I forgot I put this up here. After much confusion and many head scratches I realised it was bust! I managed to get another of a breakers for £18 delivered which was annoying but not the end of the world. Just got to put it all back carefully now...

Joe
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Squid

Viper6 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Here's a car unit:

Yours should look basically the same.
Where do you get the car unit? Honda car dealer? What is the part number? thx
Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 AM
SuperSport

Honda sells it as part of the throttle body.

So.. either get one from the junkyard, or aftermarket parts off ebay.