Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Need some help replacing aftermarket headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
Need some help replacing aftermarket headlight

I currently have an 8" round on my streetfighter. I bought an Acerbis Cyclops cheap off craigslist.

The round has three wires: green, white w/blue stripe, and blue. This is a wrapped set coming from the bike.

The acerbis has a pair of green/white for low, a pair of green/white for high, and a set of orange/brown for Euro 5w parking light.

Not worried about the parking light but how do I combine the two pairs of green/white on the acerbis while retaining high/low capability?

As an aside, will the stock electrical system on the Hawk handle 110w if I decide to mod the acerbis to run both lights on "high?"

PS, green = negative in this case, right?

Last edited by Reason; 03-18-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Alright, so I was reintroduced to the idea of a common ground. Trial and error showed me the blue wire is for the high beam, white w/blue stripe is low, and green is ground. I touched bare wires on the Acerbis and everything worked the way it should with each light connected individually.

I crimped the wires together with butt-connecters, combining the two grounds from the headlight to the single on the bike. Now it won't light up at all. I had to go to work so I couldn't do anymore on it, but any suggestions in advance would be welcomed.

Also bumping for knowledge on both lights on high/110w feasability.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

And, I've hosed it

Alright, took apart my connections from yesterday to do some bare-wire testing, make sure I didn't do something stupid, and I can't get anything, AND it won't start. Brake/tail, blinkers, horn, all work fine. Killswitch is set to RUN, it's in neutral, sat on it and pulled up the kickstand - nothing. WTF did I do?

this is really frustrating.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
a fuse is blown somewhere so check those. Also instead of connecting two lights to one circuit, or ground it would be better if you created a second circuit to handle the added load of 2 lights. You can do this by adding a relay circuit off of you battery. Then you connect one light to the new circuit and one to the original wiring harness.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
mine did the exact same thing when I was working with my headlight wiring. I found I blew the headlight fuse and the bike was completely dead, would not start until the headlight fuse was replaced.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:35 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Ironically the headlight is connected to the same fuse as your starter, I once blew the fuse on a trip, didn't have an extra fuse so I ended up have to bump start the bike in second, what PITA
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

That was exactly it, I wouldn't have guessed the two were off the same one so I was freaking out wondering what the hell I did this time. For all the crap Honda engineers get about their CCTs and R/Rs, I sure as hell am glad they put a spot for an extra fuse right in the box, just saved me a 20 minute drive to the hardware store.

Thank you!