Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

cam align verification!!40 hrs torn apart! time to put back together :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Back Marker

Shane702 is on a distinguished road
cam align verification!!40 hrs torn apart! time to put back together :)

well I may have found my pulling problems sometimes/other times.. my teeth in front were off 4 chains or so, rear was off by 1 or 2 chains, until reading and looking into every aspect of bike while pulling apart, I found out the info on these forums about the cam, and cct issues with chain jumping... well i had my cct's installed a week apart, both by a shop, and obviously didn't know what they were doing... anyways

my rear is lined up dead on, pulled chain off, sproket guard adn then just removed the whole sprocket, put the chain tension on other side, lined up the mark, then put the sprocket back on with chain and checked alignment on re r1 marks, now rear=dead on, front however... the fe mark was dead on, the left mark is dead center between either being 1/2 a chain over or 1/2 a chain under... now could these be because my cams were screwed up for so long chain was lengthened? or what could be causing this... i am sure there is nothing wrong with the alignement, chain is perfectly tensioned, right side it lined up 100% with straight edge ruler, left side no matter what i do is a 1/2 off over/ or under... any help/suggestions?? im waiting on my exahaust gaskets and also i broke 1 of the front brake pad metal holders, waiting on those but will be putting back together today, over 40 hrs of work this week and forum had all info i needed mixed with the manual, very fun project and to learn your bike
p.s. hand tightened both cct's. i haver different cct's ape front and some random company rear, would this affect anything? both are hand tight , blue threadlocked and 1/4 turned back... thanks guys!i'll be working on bike next 8-10 hrs, ty
-Shane
Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I hate to tell you this but if it jumped 4 teeth you probably have bent valves. Check the valve clearances, if they're bent clearance will be way off.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
I was thinking the same thing. 3 teeth you can just about get away with but any more and they are bound to kiss the piston. I would also not set the tension by feel and backing off. The tension should be between 5-7mm play up and down movement from the outside edge of the chain. Take the measurement from the middle between both cam sprockets. It does not matter that both tensioners are different brands.

(:-})