Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

non o-ring chain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
non o-ring chain?

i searched this topic with no luck.
has anyone has used a non o-ring chain? did it work well? last long? stretch? more lube required than o-ring or x-ring?
at the long beach bike show i looked at the chains in the did booth. the non o-ring chains were very flexible, the o-ring chain were tight and not flexible at all. hp isn't as important to me as it used to be, but the non o-ring chain should have less friction loss and deliver more power to the pavement.
i am leaning to the xv2(?) chain. it has the best specs and should last the longest. but the non o-ring chain has me intrigued.
why bother with the o-rings that keep the lube inside if i'm constantly lubing the chain anyway?
are there gold, non o-ring chains that have descent specs?
where is the best value for chains & sprokets?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
A standard chain will allow slightly more power to hit the pavement, but I'm not sure you would notice any different with a 1000cc twin. When we ran 125cc mx, we went with standard chains, but then we were only pushing about 25 hp on the pipe.

A standard chain on a SH will most likely not last very long, and require constant lubing and adjustment.

The o-ring does not just keep oil on the chain, actually I bet it does little for oil retention, but what it does do is keep the links from rubbing together, thereby reducing wear.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Squid

yamahadm250 is on a distinguished road
here`s some interesting reading about chains.don`t know how much is true.i hope this link works.http://www.quality-cycle.com/truth_a...cle_chains.htm
Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
The main difference is service intervals and overall chain life.O ring chains last longer.If your like me and lube/adjust your chain frequently,just go with a good quality standard chain.I just bought sprockets(any size you want) and chain for $150 delivered to my door from these guys... http://www.sumofallparts.net/
Old 12-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Squid

dakmatik is on a distinguished road
Lubing your chain isn't just to solely lube the chain links. It is also to lube between the chain and sprockets. I've ran non o-ring chains on other bikes and they suck. They require constant adjustment and lubrication. I would save up the extra cash and just buy an o-ring or x-ring chain, whichever your would prefer.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I am using a standard 530 now. After the break-in stretch, it just gets lubed about every 150-200 miles or after a good days ride. I keep it clean. So far so good.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 PM
SuperBike

the money is not the main reason for being interested in the non o-ring chain. it's actually a small factor.
joe, how long have you had the non o-ring chain? what have you noticed? noise? more lube? more power?
i keep my chains very clean and well lubed too.
interesting comment about the o-rings keeping the plates apart! i never thought of that!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:08 PM
SuperBike

oh yeah, i found that truth about chains article too. interesting.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
If you are willing to clean and lube your chain every 250-300 miles, a "regular" chain is fine.

I've got the OEM "O ring" on my VTR. Because I clean it (kerosine) and lube it (80/90 gear oil) every 500 miles, I've only had to adjust it three times in about 15k miles. I'd be surprised if I didn't get at least 40k miles out of the original chain.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 AM
SuperBike

i keep my chain very clean and very well lubed. i use a toothbrush and kerosene to clean it. i clean it often, at the first sign of dirt. lube is used a lot too. one thing i'd like is a gold chain because the dirt is easier to see on them. does did make a gold non o-ring chain? if not i think i'll be going with the super street x2 did.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had it on for about 2000 miles. No extra noise heard. It did feel a little less resistance, but I suppose any new chain would feel the same. When I clean my chain I use a "Grunge Brush". It can be bought at most bike shops. It's basically a three sided brush on a stick. Spray cleaner on chain, then scrub, then rinse. I used a non-o-ring this time only because I had an extra one in the shop. If not, I probably would have used a o-ring. It is probably similar to using a 520. But I'll see how long this one lasts.