Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Non D-Ring Helmet Fastener

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Squid

MrFurious29
Non D-Ring Helmet Fastener

I can't recall if it was made by KBC or HJC, but my old motocross helmet had this type of fastener and I loved it. No fumbling around with gloves on, no getting it too tight or too loose, etc. Just adjust it once and forget it, as after that it's a simple matter of clicking it together or pressing the release button.

I've looked at both KBC and HJC's websites, but both only show the standard D-Link system under customer support. So is anyone currently offering this buckle-type fastener on their helmets, or has it gone by the wayside?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:00 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I owned a Bieffe helmet that had the buckle system but I don't think they import them anymore. There is an add on that you can buy that goes on the d-ring strap and makes it a buckle system. I'd have to look around but I think most helmet places have them.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:40 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
These fasteners have a couple of technical hurdles. First, its not always easy to ensure that they're fully locked. But more importantly, they can be damaged or cracked without it being apparent.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Squid

MrFurious29
Yeah, I've seen the add-on adapters you speak of superhawk22, but I'm not real fond of them. They use a real chinsy buckle, and often times the length they add to the whole setup makes it impossible to get the helmet secured tightly.

As for the technical hurdles, I'd have to disagree. If that style buckle was "flawed" then why has it been used in most every mass produced car on the road today? I don't think I've ever seen a car seatbelt that had the latch mechanism fail, even on cars that are 50+ years old. I have however owned several helmets where the loop that holds the D-rings has wripped out over time.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:50 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
We're talking about two different kinds of buckle. I'm talking about the one with two barbed tangs.

What you're talking about is too bulky for helmets, I think. In order to make the button big enough for a finger, it'd have to be pretty big. Have you seen this style used successfully on a helmet? If it could be done compactly, I don't see any reason not to.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Is this what you guys are referring to?

http://helmetharbor.com/echo/echoopeningpage.htm

I have used these before. They work exactly as they should. Very easy to install and use.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Squid

MrFurious29
**Edited due to my own abscent mindedness**

Well, I braved the heat this afternoon and climbed up into the attic to retrieve my old riding gear. The main reason for this was that I was certain that of the two helmets I used to have (one street, one MX), one was a KBC and the other was a HJC. Well, I was wrong on two counts...which in this case managed to turn out to be a good thing.

Turns out the buckle I'm referring to was on my street helmet, and it's a Lazer and not a KBC or HJC. Anyway, here's some pictures of the setup.

This pic shows the buckle fastened. Note that the red release button is on the far left and is pushed to the right to release.

Here I'm about to push the release lever to the side to unfasten the buckle. This should give you a good indication as to the size of the buckle and the ease of releasing it.

This picture shows the mouth of the buckle fastener. I tried to get a shot to show the inner metal parts, but none of them turned out. The red part you see is just the forward part of the release button which pushes the prongs of the metal retension fork down to release the buckle.

Here is a shot of the other half of the buckle. The fork referenced above comes up and hooks into the notches shown here to securely keep things where they should be.

This shot shows the extra padding on the inside of the strap.

The helmet is a Lazer Legend that I bought back in 1998. Now for the good news, checking Lazer's is still offering this same buckle on several of their lids. Just look for the "Quick Release Buckle" specification under retension system.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
+1 for the echo helmet buckle. I added one to my Shoei RF-1000 and love it.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:41 PM
swinging member
Back Marker

lrrs195 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

I would strongly advise you not to use a helmet retention system like this!! I`ve seen a buckle system crash tested before, upon impact the buckle released and the helmet came off the riders head. Result, lifeflight to hospital, coma for 2 days. Luckily he has made a full recovery. There is a reason no manufacturer of quality helmets supplys or reccomends you use these things.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Squid

roisman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YAMAROCKET630
+1 for the echo helmet buckle. I added one to my Shoei RF-1000 and love it.
Hi! Just want to ask how's the quality of this product and fit on the helmet
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
We won't sell them at Cycle Gear because they're not DOT approved and we just DON'T trust them. Just FYI.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
I bought a Nolan lid with their quick release buckle and had to return it because the buckle dug into my adams apple.