Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

520 XW Ring -CHAIN: Rivet-Type or Clip Masterlink?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:17 PM
The Doc
Squid

TheRedSteed is on a distinguished road
Question 520 XW Ring -CHAIN: Rivet-Type or Clip Masterlink?

Hey guys, I purchased a XW RING 520 conversion chain with new sprokets because my chain was blown and I wanted to re-gear the steed. The stock sprocket sizes are 16T in the front and a 41T in the rear giving a final drive ratio of 2.56. I swaped the front with a 15T and the rear with a 43T to make the ratio 2.87. Theoretically, this should make a noticable improvement.

QUESTION IS:
The chain is a "rivet-type" master-link that requires a special rivet press. This press is expensive and must be ordered. I have a standard clip-type master link that I could install using the XW rings. Will this be a good idea?
Will this effect performance or will it be a safetey concern?

I don't want to take any risks, so please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
its only the chain, under 100 hp stress, one of the most important components in the drive train as far as safety go. by all means cheap out on it..................

Kidding. You'll likely hear other comments, but there is no way I'd ride without a rivet chain - too much at stake. Having said that the riveting has to be done right with proper tools - you could have the shop simply do it for you or get the $80 tool from Motion Pro

My opinion
Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM
The Doc
Squid

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the quick response and the good advice.
I will have the shop press the rivets for me.

Like you said... "It's only the chain, under 100 hp stress, one of the most important components in the drive train as far as safety go"

I don't want to take that risk, which is why I posted this thread. The local shop said no problem, use the clip type. I just contacted the company I purchased the chain from, and they said only use rivet-type and now it is decided, trust an experienced rider and a chain company or some towny. Appointment made for friday.

Thanks again, Have a good one.
Joe

Have a good one!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Rivet...

Yea, I bit the bullet late last spring when I got my RK chain. Ended up spending $84, on the RK brand chain rivet install kit. Hidiously expensive - just outright over priced -everywhere you look for the things.
But getting the rivet job done right is where its at. Then you can do your bros' chains, and/or turn it over on eBay afterward and take a small hit perhaps.
Just make sure that you get the proper pin for the brand chain you come home with so that you "mushroom" the pins properly per the manufacturers spec'.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
the clip style can be used safely. remember to put it on correctly and most track requirements state to put a little silicone on it to keep it in place.

BUT... you MUST keep a few extra clips handy as they do seem to open up over time. check it often.

i bought a chain tool & have no problem loaning it out. check your local area, someone may be willing to help you out. the rivot style is better imo.

tim
Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 PM
SuperBike

that is a good point. post your location - if anyone is local they'll loan you the tool most likely. or maybe some of your riding buddies have one already. If you have an independent shop you give much business to and buy the chain from them, good chance you could get them to break the old one and install a new one for you or lend you the tool also. good luck
Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
The Doc
Squid

I am located in Michigan, so If anyone is around there please let me know. I live in Mt. Pleasant during the week which is in the center of the state, above Lansing and I am downriver (Southeast of Detroit) for the weekends. I would highly appreciate the favor.

I have a chain break which worked out well. So now I have everything all together on the bike, just need a rivet-type press. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Do you think it would be safe to use a clip-type temporarily for about 30 miles or so to ride to the shop and have them professionaly press the rivets? Otherwise I will have to trailer it to a local shop if I cannot borrow the tool. That's no fun.

Who else has swapped sprockets? Did you notice an improvement?
Thanks!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Miss the food at T.W.O.
Squid

truepath is on a distinguished road
I used the clip type on my gsxr750 and I did a ton of engine/performance work on it. it would outrun many 1kcc bikes in the straights and even more so in the twisties...of course I did all my own maint....
Old 03-29-2008, 06:44 AM
SuperBike

clip is fine for that short a distance (asssuming the intended clip for the chain). as others said some still ride with them.

I only changed the rear sprocket to 43T. Doing that I noticed better gearing making 5th or 6th actually useable in some circumstances, otherwise 6th seems like its lugging at all but the very highest speeds. More pickup early on. I do not know what the combination of down in the front and up in the rear would be like. I'm sure more of the same. Try it and see - easy enough to put the stock front sprocket on if you aren't happy with it or find the lower gears are now too short. Should wheelie even easier so be careful. Have fun
Old 04-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Squid

vtrstunta
<-- always uses rivets. 80 bucks is cheap, because i have done probably 10 chains for myself and others in the 3 years i have had it.
buddy of mine used a clip type on his r1... long story short: clip came off, chain bunched up in the front sprocket area, and cracked the case. (lucky it didnt take off a leg, or shoot back through someone's windshield at least!)