Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

New noise after first ride today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
New noise after first ride today.

Hope all you guys in NE got out today- it was beautiful. I fired up the hawk and took it out for the first time since I put her away. Started right up, no problems.

Both my girlfriend and I noticed a "ticking" or "knocking" noise coming from the engine which (obviously) increased frequency with RPMs. I know the Honda twin makes noise but I've never noticed anything this loud and neither has she. Its not overwhelming, but easily noticable and somewhat concerning. I just want to make sure its not a CCT issue (bike has 13k relatively easy miles).

Could it be valve chatter or something more harmless than an early cam chain issue?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:20 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Replace the CCT's. if it is still there it probably is the cam lobe slapping the lifter and you need to reshim the valves.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:37 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

so CCT's AND valve clearances?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 AM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

can anyone else shed light on this situation???

winter is finally winding down and all I want to do is ride but I really dont want to destroy my bike if its a CCT issue.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
first ride? give it some time, shes been sitting for a while and will make weird noises in the beginning...

i know when i bought my BMW 530i it had a bad valve ticking in left bank of engine, guy assured me its from sitting for a year...sure enough after the first week the noise was gone.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:56 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
It's entirely your decision to ride through the problem noise your getting but please to save the impending heartache, a mangled engine (if it's not already damaged) and the resulting financial hit please take the advice offered seriously.

Just use the search function to look for CCT noise threads and posts across the forums to see the scae of the affliction and that it's not something to ignore or hope that it'll go away of its own accord.

From experience - from first sound of rattle at 30 mph to pulling clutch in and pulling up = New CCTs, A new front cylinder head, + labour - thankfully a loan bike for two months = £500 ($750)

Solution APE manual CCTs or treat Honda one's as replaceable service items.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
sounds like a cam/valve issue, need some shim work. how old's the oil in there? cct's should be done no matter what for reassurance. and it was real nice out yesterday, i surely took a ride.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 AM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

Thanks for the suggestions. oil is Mobil 1 and has <500 mi on it. I'll go perform some maintenance and if Its still there order some CCTs and probably pay someone to do valve adjustment for me and maybe sync the carbs while they're in there.

THANKS
Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

Pretty sure its an exhaust valve. As much as the "AHHHHH MY CCT's ARE GOING TO FAIL AND I'LL BE UP ****'S CREEK!!!" bug did get ahold me, it just didn't add up.

That said, I put in an order for TMBmotorsport's manual's but i'm still riding the bike. I know my limits and my patience so I'm bringing it to a shop to get the valves checked/adjusted and having him pop in the ccts while its all open.

I mess with valve-train stuff on my truck because it tends to run shitty anyway but my hawk is my only "nice" vehicle. If I mess it up it'll be dragging knee through a blind corner and panic braking into a highside, not exceding my limited mechanical aptitude. After all- I'm an engineer and we have no common sense, right?

Thanks for the help,

ben
Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
One of my valves was a little out at 12,000 miles. The other was fine. Probably about time to check them and might as well throw in the CCT's.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

Thats the plan. The ol' screwdriver-to-the-ear trick that you guys clued me into was handy and really helped pinpoint the source of the sound.