Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

clutch slave cylinder removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
clutch slave cylinder removal

i need to double check this. i'm going to be changing the sprockets/chain. the manual states tie off the clutch lever to the bar ( i also read it in a previous post - buut it wasn't clear ) when removing the clutch slave cylinder but....

are they saying to pull in the clutch and zip tie it to the grip to keep the slave cylinder piston from coming out ?

i must be mental. i thought when you pulled in the clutch it pushed the slave piston out which in turn pushed the lifter rod ?

or... are they saying jam something between the lever & grip to keep anybody from pulling it in ( like what would happen with the disk brakes ) ?

thx

tim
Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Squid

superhawk48 is on a distinguished road
slave cylinder

No need to pull in clutch lever. Just remove the three bolts at the slave and gently pry off. Just had mine off last week. There are two alignment guide pins behind cover.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
others have described the cylinder creeping out when they neglected to follow the manual guidelines. Then having to bleed the system after re-assembling and that process being a pain in the a##$. I haven't had that experience but I've always followed the manual guidelines to pull the lever and tie it to the bar before removing.

bill
Old 03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yes, put something around the lever/bar. This will prevent what cliby describes.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Bill is right - bleeding the clutch is a major pain. Once the piston in the mc is in the down position no more oil can be forced or drain down the tube to the slave. I had to drain my lines to get them around some Helis that I installed but bleeding it is not the word for it. I pumped mine up from the bottom and while it worked it wasn't pretty.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
From my experience when doing my front sprocket, I tied the lever to the bar. But when I went to put the slave cylinder back on, the thing didn't want to go in. So my boy was gently pushing it in as I was slowly releasing the lever (Prolly got it out a bit over 1/4 of the way). Don't know why it worked out like that, but there were no bleeding issues afterwards.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
hey all, I want to flush my clutch fluid with some fresh. this thread was started with my exact question......but there seems to be 2 schools of thought here. 1-leave the lever alone....and 2-pull it in and zip tie it....I have never done this before and I'm confused big time. I've spent the last 30 minutes reading other posts but I'm still not clear as how to go about this the best way....
Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
If Greg says zip-tie it, that's what I would do.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
thats what I was thinking! lol... I'll do it, but it just dosen't make sense to me. also, I've read several posts with some of you mentioning a "mighty vac"... I assume this is a tool you hook up to the bleeder and simply suck out the old and in with the new at the same time? does using the vac remove the need to bleed??
Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
thats what I was thinking! lol... I'll do it, but it just dosen't make sense to me. also, I've read several posts with some of you mentioning a "mighty vac"... I assume this is a tool you hook up to the bleeder and simply suck out the old and in with the new at the same time? does using the vac remove the need to bleed??
mighty vac is a small hand held vacuum pump. you connect it to, via a hose, the bleed screw. it has a small bottle that you create the vacuum in with the hand pump... then crack open the bleed screw and it draws the fluid into the bottle.

it is a TON easier bleeding the clutch, brakes etc. using a vacuum that pumping up the lever.

tim
Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
If you don't have one, do yourself a favor and buy some sort of a MityVac kit.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
When I have to remove the clutch slave cylinder I just use a small "C" clamp to keep the piston from coming out. You don't need to remove the slave cylinder to take off the sprocket cover though...