Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

need regulator rectifier help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Squid

nick_packer is on a distinguished road
Ok, now I went to take it apart and I found out that it says SH633-12. Which according to Tweets, it's a SHINDENGEN # SH633-12 (MV4)

Which is supposed to be a good one. I looked at the plug and it didn't appear to be melted or burnt.

Is it still possible for it to fried? I'm going to have my Stator checked tomorrow to see if that could be the problem, but I've been told it's less likely.

What's the chance of the stator being bad? I've already bought a new R/R that is the upgraded one, but not the MOSFET type.

Is there anything I should check? What else could cause my bike to lose charge on a new battery?

Please help, this is so frustrating and I just want my bike back
Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
In your climate and the possibility that you have been caught out in the rain, there is a connection under the seat in the wiring harness that is prone to failure. If you pop the seat off it is just behind the tank under a little rubber flap. The connectors in mine were fried. I soldered them back together and shrink wrapped them - all good.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nick_packer
Ok, now I went to take it apart and I found out that it says SH633-12. Which according to Tweets, it's a SHINDENGEN # SH633-12 (MV4)

Which is supposed to be a good one. I looked at the plug and it didn't appear to be melted or burnt.

Is it still possible for it to fried? I'm going to have my Stator checked tomorrow to see if that could be the problem, but I've been told it's less likely.

What's the chance of the stator being bad? I've already bought a new R/R that is the upgraded one, but not the MOSFET type.

Is there anything I should check? What else could cause my bike to lose charge on a new battery?

Please help, this is so frustrating and I just want my bike back
Well... To answer your question, I'm going to confuse you a little more first... I love doing that...

The SH-*** whatever is "good" but not great, and it's not a MOSFET...

But the main thing here isn't what type R/R you already have or will replace with...

Fixing the R/R is like fixing the bilge pump on a leaking ship... It's going to keep you from sinking temporarily, but it's not fixing the problem... I might be an oddball, I'd suggest plugging the big friggin hole in the side of the ship...

The reason people keep having problems with their batteries isn't because of the R/R... It's because of the wiring... The wiring is a bit to thin for it's purpose, and once there is corrosion, it gets worse... Then the R/R starts feeling under the weather, and starts killing off batteries... And if you ignore the warnings, it goes poof, and possibly kills more stuff...

So instead of just "fixing the R/R"... Fix the wiring instead... A multimeter set to read ohm's, a copper or plastic brush, some electric cleaner, and some spray on vaseline and lots of elbow grease...

The stator is very, very, very unlikely to be the problem... If the stator fails, you are stranded, period... No if's or butts, just plain dead bike...

With the upgraded R/R, clean and corrosion free contacts and groundpoints that has been sealed from the elements, and a full charge on the new battery, you should be good to go for another 2-3 years...
Old 07-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Squid

I had the mechanic here take a look at the connector to my rectifier, and I knew the top 3 wires were coming from the stator, so I had him check that, and he said it was charging fine. Checked the battery, showed it was charging, the rectifier was a little warm from my ride to work this morning. The plug isn't fried, so we took some electrical goop and put it on the plug to ensure good connection and tightened down my battery posts just incase it was a cause from a bad ground.

It just seems screwy. What spots should I be looking for corrosion if all my wires are mostly already plastic coated? Certain spots to check?

I appreciate all the help I'm getting!!!! Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:51 PM
MotoGP

It means in simple terms, since that seems to be what you are asking for, taking the ohm meter... Putting one end on the negative battery wire, and then walking the other around every connector or exposed piece of metal you can find...

It should read either 0 ohm, or - ie not connected... Only those two options are valid... Any others means you got something to fix... Then do the same on the hot side... 0 ohm, or nothing...

Look at the schematic, it shows 5 or 6 six groundpoints, they are actual groundpoints, in the approximate position of where they are on the schematic... Those and all connectors are the culprits...
Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Squid

Well come to find out, after having it get a little warm after a burnout before replacing the back tire today, the mechanic rechecked the voltage and such and said that I need to replace.... guess..... my R/R..... so luckily I have one on order, and I hope it fixes it!!! Ugh. Hopes are high!!

Thanks Tweets.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:01 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Ya, the R/R often fails such that only after it gets hot does it fully malfunction.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Squid

Alright. Now I am really irritated. More than irritated.

I got my part at work tuesday, put it on, and it fried itself today on the way home from work. So I think I drove my bike a total of 4 times and went possibly 30 miles. The ride today right about when it fried, I was beating on it, revving high and what not.

This is what I have:
Honda VTR1000 Esport Regulator Rectifier - Super Duty - ESR587 by Electro Sport

Stupid thing... I was cruising at about 70 and all of a sudden, the bike is off. Like, off. No power, nothing. I haven't tested anything, but when I stopped, I could smell burnt plastic and such. Luckily I had a screw driver and an allen wrench to take off my seat cowl to look at the R/R. Sure enough, the RED WIRE is what is fried. I do believe that's the positive side of the battery?

Now, I do plan on calling the company and asking them why, how, and now what, and at the same time, I would like to spread the word for some more help from you all. I'm stuck driving my 96' Lincoln Continental with terrible mpg. (Just fyi, it's for sale, $2800 with less than 100k miles)

So the real question is, what now? Do I return this one and cough up an extra $50 to buy the MOSFET kit off eBay ($125)? or just ask for a replacement? or do the R1 conversion?

Damn it all.....
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nick_packer
Alright. Now I am really irritated. More than irritated.

I got my part at work tuesday, put it on, and it fried itself today on the way home from work. So I think I drove my bike a total of 4 times and went possibly 30 miles. The ride today right about when it fried, I was beating on it, revving high and what not.

This is what I have:
Honda VTR1000 Esport Regulator Rectifier - Super Duty - ESR587 by Electro Sport

Stupid thing... I was cruising at about 70 and all of a sudden, the bike is off. Like, off. No power, nothing. I haven't tested anything, but when I stopped, I could smell burnt plastic and such. Luckily I had a screw driver and an allen wrench to take off my seat cowl to look at the R/R. Sure enough, the RED WIRE is what is fried. I do believe that's the positive side of the battery?

Now, I do plan on calling the company and asking them why, how, and now what, and at the same time, I would like to spread the word for some more help from you all. I'm stuck driving my 96' Lincoln Continental with terrible mpg. (Just fyi, it's for sale, $2800 with less than 100k miles)

So the real question is, what now? Do I return this one and cough up an extra $50 to buy the MOSFET kit off eBay ($125)? or just ask for a replacement? or do the R1 conversion?

Damn it all.....
The simple truth is, and R/R does not blow up on it's own... There is always something else wrong that makes it blow up... In your case it seems it's rather severe at the pace it's killing of the replacements...

You remember what I said about the sinking ship and the bilge pump? You just fried your second bilge pump trying to keep up with the water...

You can choose whichever of the three options, it's not going to make any difference in the long run, just a matter of how long it takes for the new R/R to implode... (Yes you can destroy a MOSFET R/R, it just takes more effort...)

I have said it before, and I'll say it again... Fix the problem not the symptom... Start by going through the entire wiring harness with an ohm meter and fixing any corroded parts, then seal with vaseline... Make sure the grounding to the new R/R is good, and measure the stator as per these instructions... http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

Since it might seem "complicated" for someone not used to electronics, the simple "how-to" is this... Take the poles off the battery, put the ohm meter on the negative battery connector and put the other end on any metal part on the bike... Then the same with any wire you can find... And I do mean any and all wires... All of them end somewhere in a connector...

Once that's done, you will have a working electrical system... Unfortunately this is not a pick and choose menu, where you can skip the boring parts, since it comes back to bite you... Albeit it was faster this time than I had guessed...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Squid

mykrowsy
Originally Posted by Tweety
And that would have been completely unneccesary... Since there is no difference or order to the yellow wiring... Just hook them to any of the three pins and they are completely happy... It's an AC to DC system... Doesn't matter one bit...
wow. i just saw this now. nd to think i missed half a summer of riding because of it!
thanks again!
Old 04-24-2022, 12:32 PM
Squid

Wisepenny is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mykrowsy
So awhile back, I replaced my overheated regulator rectifier. the plastic clip that was on the wiring harness to plug into the regulator melted, so i pulled all the wires out and put quick disconnnects on the ends of all the wire harness ends. now i had my bike in for service not too long ago, and we had a bit of a disagreement on what they were going to charge me for labor, and long story short, i pulled my bike out of their shop and all the parts were handed to me in a ziploc bag. problem is, now i don't know where to hook these wires up to the regulator rectifier. what i was hoping is that someone on here has a picture of their superhawk regulator and knows where those wires need to be connected. I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

Old 04-24-2022, 03:23 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wisepenny
You're a couple years late...

Old 04-24-2022, 04:20 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Better late than whenever.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:12 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Be nice, it's his first post. He'll figure it out...maybe.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:36 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
That was pretty harsh from a Canadian.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:57 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
That was pretty harsh from a Canadian.
Yes, we are mean up here. But then again, maybe if you'd shovel snow five times a day your patience would grow a little thin.