Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

02 Regulator/rectifier ground wire missing???

Old 06-14-2010, 04:23 PM
  #1  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
NH-Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 50
NH-Archer is on a distinguished road
02 Regulator/rectifier ground wire missing???

So, I'm taking apart my newly purchased 02 SH to replace the regulator and realize that I don't have the green ground wire that is shown in the thread about "how to replace the regulator". It's the one with the eyelet that gets bolted to the mounting bolt/housing. Am I F'd up or is this right? I did several seaches for threads on this but no luck.... I thought SH's were all wired the same? Help a newbie out will ya????
Attached Thumbnails 02 Regulator/rectifier ground wire missing???-dsc02914.jpg  
NH-Archer is offline  
Old 06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
  #2  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
NH-Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 50
NH-Archer is on a distinguished road
After seeing the thread on the differences between the years, does this mean there is no ground wire? Also, when testing the regulator, I did get a signal between the green terminal and the yellow terminal below it. Is that ok???? God, I'm clueless.
NH-Archer is offline  
Old 06-14-2010, 05:20 PM
  #3  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Its fully possible that honda for whatever reason decided to not have the wiring harness grounded at that particular point in the later models... Dunno why though, and I maintain that it would be a stupid decision if they did so... But it wouldn't be their first...

As for testing the rectifier, have you had a look at the fault finding chart from electrosports? It outlines all the tests... If you measure between the green terminal on the plug and the yellow one there should not be continuity... On the R/R is another matter...
Tweety is offline  
Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM
  #4  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
NH-Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 50
NH-Archer is on a distinguished road
I bought a new battery today and I'm waiting for my R1 regulator to come in, before I do anythng. I wanted to remove the regluator and prep it for the R1 unit, that's when I noticed the green wire missing. Also, I was trying to see if there was continuity (or not) on the regulator, to hopefully prove it to be bad.
NH-Archer is offline  
Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 PM
  #5  
Boosted
SuperSport
 
Syclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 642
Syclone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NH-Archer View Post
So, I'm taking apart my newly purchased 02 SH to replace the regulator and realize that I don't have the green ground wire that is shown in the thread about "how to replace the regulator". It's the one with the eyelet that gets bolted to the mounting bolt/housing. Am I F'd up or is this right? I did several seaches for threads on this but no luck.... I thought SH's were all wired the same? Help a newbie out will ya????
Judging from the extra metal plate, someone has been there before, and they probably forgot or otherwise fubar'd the ground.
Syclone is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 AM
  #6  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
NH-Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 50
NH-Archer is on a distinguished road
After scolling through the knowledge based R/R thread, the last page shows a pics of someone's 05 SH with no green ground wire, I think I'm good to go.... pics are worth a million words!!!
NH-Archer is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
doomcookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 263
doomcookie is on a distinguished road
what year r/1 r/r did you get? you didn't get the 04 model did ya? cause it wont fit in there if you do
doomcookie is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
  #8  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
NH-Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 50
NH-Archer is on a distinguished road
The R/R I got is for 98-01 Yamaha R1, simular to the one in the "How to" thread.
NH-Archer is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
supermarto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 524
supermarto is on a distinguished road
Sorry I am late to this, but FWIW, my '02 wasn't grounded by wire either... I've been riding it for almost a year after swapping in a yzf600 R/R with no probs yet.
supermarto is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM
  #10  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
inderocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,708
inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
The plate and missing ground wire are all OEM from 2001-2005. All is well my friend.
inderocker is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
residentg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY State
Posts: 667
residentg is on a distinguished road
OK - you may all flame me for this question:

Is there a definative "best" RR replacement? The Eastern Beaver headlight relay is too much for the stock 2005 RR. I do not want to buy new, what is the "best" used replacement unit? There seems to be varied opinions on this. Thank you (I am bracing myself)... JB
residentg is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
  #12  
Sprung
World Champion
 
Hawkrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fulton, MO
Posts: 105,285
Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
JB, you can't stress a R/R unless you pull NO power from the alternator. The more power that is used by the accessories on the bike, the LESS heat is generated on the R/R. If your battery is dying then you might have a bad R/R but it's not from the HIDs.
Hawkrider is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
lazn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,132
lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg View Post
OK - you may all flame me for this question:

Is there a definative "best" RR replacement? The Eastern Beaver headlight relay is too much for the stock 2005 RR. I do not want to buy new, what is the "best" used replacement unit? There seems to be varied opinions on this. Thank you (I am bracing myself)... JB
if you can find a used www.motovoltage.com unit?
lazn is offline  
Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
residentg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY State
Posts: 667
residentg is on a distinguished road
The Eastern Beaver headlight relay harness connects the headlight directly to the battery. It uses relays to turn the headlight off when the starter button is pushed and to control high / low beam. I installed this in conjunction with a PIAA Xenon bulb. It works as advertised, the headlight is much brighter.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html

The problem is that the battery is not charging sufficiently while riding. The sympton is that the bike runs fine, but the battery, which is 3-months old does not have enough juice to start the bike, it almost does, but not quite. We went on a 200-mile ride yesterday and it was the same at each gas-stop, almost turns over, but needed to bump start it each time. I have not done any testing yet, I am suspecting the RR, not that it has failed, but that it is simply not up to the task of the added current draw. If I replace it, I want to make the correct choice.

Thoughts? Thank you.

JB
residentg is offline  
Old 06-16-2010, 03:25 AM
  #15  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
NH-Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 50
NH-Archer is on a distinguished road
The plate and missing ground wire are all OEM from 2001-2005. All is well my friend.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I'm feeling better now.
NH-Archer is offline  
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 AM
  #16  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg View Post
The Eastern Beaver headlight relay harness connects the headlight directly to the battery. It uses relays to turn the headlight off when the starter button is pushed and to control high / low beam. I installed this in conjunction with a PIAA Xenon bulb. It works as advertised, the headlight is much brighter.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html

The problem is that the battery is not charging sufficiently while riding. The sympton is that the bike runs fine, but the battery, which is 3-months old does not have enough juice to start the bike, it almost does, but not quite. We went on a 200-mile ride yesterday and it was the same at each gas-stop, almost turns over, but needed to bump start it each time. I have not done any testing yet, I am suspecting the RR, not that it has failed, but that it is simply not up to the task of the added current draw. If I replace it, I want to make the correct choice.

Thoughts? Thank you.

JB
Go for a R1/R6 R/R 98 to 01 I believe, but duoble check those years...
Tweety is offline  
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM
  #17  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
NH-Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 50
NH-Archer is on a distinguished road
Well I just finished the R/R (98-01 R1) install and new battery. My SH has come to life!!! I put the meter on it and I'm getting 13.95 volts @ 3000 RPM's. Now I need to register and insure my new ride. Just to caps things off... I realize that this bike must have been a nightmare to the PO because of this R/R issue. Because of this forum, I might have just fixed an 8 year old problem. I have 3 receipts, one showing a replaced Honda R/R back in 05 with a battery and new tires.
NH-Archer is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jefejrs
Technical Discussion
12
03-09-2013 10:10 AM
Montana
Technical Discussion
8
10-09-2012 05:40 PM
chickenstrip
Technical Discussion
24
05-30-2007 11:48 AM
wardo996
Technical Discussion
13
04-26-2007 08:43 AM
Blurr
Technical Discussion
7
09-14-2006 08:58 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Regulator/rectifier ground wire missing???


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands