Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Need new tires, any recommendations?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Squid

amhsraptor is on a distinguished road
Need new tires, any recommendations?

Hey guys, my tires are wearing out and I need new ones. I'm not sure what type of tires I should invest in so if I describe where I ride I'm hoping for suggestions. As of right now I'm looking at sport tires and touring.

I ride to school Mon and Wed (about 5 miles roundtrip). I commute to work weather permitting (100 round trip), usually once a week but my internship will be ending in 2.5 weeks so I will not be commuting again till late August. I also go on rides over the weekend and will ride from upstate SC to Chas,SC once or twice this summer. Other then that I might find a summer job close by so another 5miles a day if I do. If you could include how much installation cost for a shop to install I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

-BA
Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
There are a ton of tire posts to take a look. But my findings so far;
1.jakewilson.com has some great deals on tires Pilot 2ct and bt-21 (also search for current promo codes)
2.I am partial to a more sport touring tire, hence me leaning to the Bridgestome bt-21. Seems that I may get a bit more life out of it than the previous Pilot Power....I have yet to try the Pilot Power 2ct
3. Instal here in So. Cal. anywhere from $70-$100 for the set if wheels are on the bike, $30-$50 if the wheels are off.

Good Luck!

Last edited by SD Hawk; 06-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
dunlop 207's, just because you are unwilling to search
Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
dunlop 207's, just because you are unwilling to search

Yer a nice guy, teach!
I was gonna tell him, "black and round".
But then I remembered Coker is doing color tires, so I passed.

Rex
Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
I am running Michellin Pilot road 2's. Good tread life and very good grip. Should last you a good while. Heard some guys running them get any where from 7k and up. I got mine from sportbiketrackgear.com for around 163 bucks for a rear. They have cheap combos as well and fast shipping. Had the rim and tire off the bike and at the local dealer it cost me around 40 buck to have them swap tires for me.

Philip
Old 06-02-2010, 05:10 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I agree with cracker jack man on the pilot roads. My buddy runs them on his FJR and they work for touring as well as the two of us running curves in the mountains. If you are the type to get more aggressive on curvy roads, then go with the Power Pilot 2CTs. check www.sportbiketrackgear.com for good prices on the 2CTs, but the jake wilson site above might be good too.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have Power 2CTs on mine, but once my rear is worn out again, it will get a Road2 on it. I will keep the 2CT on the front.. I like a grippy front, and it doesn't wear out nearly as fast as the rear anyways.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
B-Stones BT016 hands down!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I used to be dedicated to the BT-016 tires. But now the power 2ct's are cheaper so I have switched. I have drug knees on the track with both brands. Both perform very well. The Bridstones may have been slightly better but that could easily just be in my head or due to some other variables.

However, it doesn't sound like amhsraptor is in need of this type of tire. BT-021 would be my recommendation.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Squid

viper87 is on a distinguished road
Avon Storm 2's ! That's what I run, and love them.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:24 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
if youre after after a tire that will last a lkong time and still offer some level of performance the bt021st. i ranb these last year and they were fine. i wouldnt have done a trackday on them as theyre a sport touring tire but theyll last you an entire year. from the sounds of it you wanmt something that wont wear too fast as you commute with your bike, so any sport touring tire will do. the bt016 is an alright tire for wear, i have about 4000 km on mine now i think and the center is bald but i ran it 28 cold in the back for a while and killed it fast, that being said ive done 2 tracks days on it and theres still lots of side life left on it, if the center wasnt done id get another 2 track days from it easily.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Squid

redmanmbz is on a distinguished road
I'm running the Conti Road Attack tires and have gotten good performance and wear from them. Not cheap, but then, IMHO, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I sure hope you didn't wait the whole summer to pick a set of tires. Anyway, I might as well vote for the Pilot Road 2's. Even if you ride hard, they're sticky and predictable.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
I really don't like the pointy profile of Michelins, and the 2ct's aren't designed to be a sport touring type dual compound tire. They have regular Pilot power centers with a softer shoulder. You can expect to get around 3k miles out of them. IMO the best bang for your buck are the Q2's at sportbiketrackgear.com. They're 209 shipped for a pair, offer a true dual compound rear tire (harder compound in the center), and they offer outstanding grip. You'll get more mileage out of the Road Smarts, but they're about $50 more.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7780

I've run dozens of tires from all the different manufactures and I've learned that the only way to have your cake and eat it too in terms of combining grip and mileage is to use a tire with dual compounds. Single compound tires, regardless of the firmness of the rubber, always square off in the middle. A squared off tire sucks, it saps your confidence because every time you get on that squared off corner the bike gets squirrely. The Dunlop Road Smarts and the new Q2's are designed to keep the same profile throughout the mileage of the tire. The harder center compound is just wide enough to allow the softer side to wear before that nasty squared edge appears. Basically the tire wears in such a way that it keeps itself round.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Good Day, Has you have read , ask a question- and you got the world of knowledge- I have patrolled the area in your description. I would roll the touring tire, for the fact SC uses that real open road bond surface (like a cheese grader). So any of the soft compound. Your best for your money , would be the bt021st, M6, or the 2ct.
I ride the M3 metz. just for your info.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Squid

David86 is on a distinguished road
Hi, my first post here

I just ordered a new rear tyre yesterday. Recommendations from friends and internet ended up with a Metzeler Sportec M3.

You'll have to wait on my own verdict until next year when I have had a possibility to try it myself.

Regards,
David D, Gothenburg Sweden
Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Dave,

The Metzeler is a well known tire. You will like it.

You should start a post and tell us about yourself and your Firestorm.

Welcome.

Erik
Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

turbotim is on a distinguished road
pilot road 2 on front & so far i love it. pilot road rear coming soon