Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Shinko Tires. Any Good?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
Shinko Tires. Any Good?

So its time to put on a new rear tire. I know its best to replace the set, but the front is fine. I dont know if the guy who owned the bike before me did a lot of burnouts but the front deff wore better than the rear. Any ways Im lookin on line for a good deal on a rear and came across Shinko Ravens for around $110.00 New and free shipping. Tire looks good, but I do use the bike as a daily commuter so I have questions about tread life and wear. Any of you guys have anything to say about Shinko. Good, bad whatever. Bike has Metzlers on now and if Shinkos turn out to be ***** prob go that route.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
I got 2 sets in on a special program to try out. Put one set on a CBR954 1,400 miles and it was shot. Second set was on a TL1000, 1,600 miles and shot. I know both riders, no burns or wheelies. They are good riders and ride hard. They said they had great traction and good road feed back, just did last very long.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
I'm running a shenko on the front with a pilot rear, reasoning, the shenkos were free! I burnt the rear one up quite fast, the front is super sticky thus me keeping in on. I've had it on for about 3000 miles and it's got 1/2 it's tread left but starting to cup a little. I hear that the shenkos make great drag tires bc they are so soft. One thing is the profile isn't as extreme as a pilot or 208 more rounded like the d205. The rear was the same way. So turn in wasn't as quick with new tires.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I've got Shinko Raven 009's (sport-touring) on my '99 ZRX1100, my '02 FZ-1, and my '98 Superhawk. Also have a pair mounted on a spare set of Bandit 1200 rims ready to go. I won't tell you that they're the quickest turning, stickiest, longest lasting sport-touring tire available in the US. But I will say they do nothing hinky or unpredictable, are the most affordable, and mount and balance easily. I wouldn't be a repeat buyer if they failed any of those criteria. And my riding is entirely on twisty mountain roads...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:35 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i use shinko 005 advance tires and they kick ***! they're cheap and they perform awesome. ive had them pretty close to 3000 miles and they still have plenty of tread. i can push them hard in the corners even when its cold out and before the tires are even warmed up. they are an exceptional tire and i highly recommened them.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a reason they are called STINKO's. I mounted up a couple of sets for customers of mine and they all said the same thing,they suck. As for "hey, they were free", next time your hungry I'll spread a turd on a roll and you can eat it because "hey, it's free". If you want a really good handling tire, I sell a ton of them and not ONE complaint. As a matter of fact, 100% said they wont use any other after trying them, Bridgestone BT002RS's. Trust me...............
Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Squid

Reynolds68 is on a distinguished road
Just got a set of the 005's and so far I like em quite a bit! Break in has been easy and they feel at least as sticky as my pp's. I dunno how far they are going to go but I found a review where a rider got around 8k on the rear Ravens. It was on a TL 1100 I think.
BTW, Shinko bought the molds and tech. from Yokohama. So same tires more or less just now made in Korea.

Last edited by Reynolds68; 09-19-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Squid

Reynolds68 is on a distinguished road
BTW, the 009 ravens are $145 +$18 s&h for the set on ebay and less than 6 mo. old.
For that price I think they are worth a try.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
I am also considering the Dunlop Roadsmart tire. Any feedback on this one? I called my local cycle gear and he recommended this for the type of riding I do. Mostly daily comute with some twisty action on my days off.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Squid

SS_Will is on a distinguished road
I am running the roadsmart on my superhawk, only about 500 miles so far but they seem great. Quick turn in and pretty sticky for a sport touring tire. All the reviews I read made this tire seem pretty good.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like more chinese crap to me.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
Guy at my local CGear recommended the RoadSmarts. I'm going to have to replace the rear soon so I may give em a try. He said he's been running his for about 6K on a CBR. They still looked pretty good.

Vega....must be the same dude...Fairfield, right?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
005 shinko here about 1700 miles about ready to replace there ok for the price you trade longevity for traction etc ive grown used to them in hard corners they squwirm but never unpredictable i now powerslide alot heheh but yea unless your "UBER" road slayer you will be fine with them not reccommened for life or death twisties..... decent over all tire most people that dont like them is becuze there used to there tires making up for there poor riding skill ..... yea i said it..... flame on!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
Sounds like more chinese crap to me.
They're Japanese.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:20 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
decent over all tire most people that dont like them is becuze there used to there tires making up for there poor riding skill ..... yea i said it..... flame on!!![/QUOTE]

some one started the hard drinkin early today, either that or blazin' the glass dick.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 PM
SuperSport

i wouldnt listen to the guys that are saying they arent good tires. just because a lot of customers say they are bad doesnt mean that they are. different tires work completely different for different bikes and riding styles. the fact that you ride a motorcycle also doesnt mean that you have to take "death defying" turns all the time. i have been using shinko tires for about 3000 miles and love them. i ride the hell out of them too. ive pushed them very hard in corners, even in cold weather and rain, and then havent slipped once. i still have plenty of tread as well.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by SPRHK
decent over all tire most people that dont like them is becuze there used to there tires making up for there poor riding skill ..... yea i said it..... flame on!!!
some one started the hard drinkin early today, either that or blazin' the glass dick.[/QUOTE]

Don't drink and i think that "blazin' the glass dick" is a disorder commonly found in areas of the country with heavy inbreeding and a cesspool type environment. I can only Assume from your childish retort your entering into a battle of whits Completely and Totally unarmed....

Also learn to use the quote function properly.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Death Cattle
i wouldnt listen to the guys that are saying they arent good tires. just because a lot of customers say they are bad doesnt mean that they are. different tires work completely different for different bikes and riding styles. the fact that you ride a motorcycle also doesnt mean that you have to take "death defying" turns all the time. i have been using shinko tires for about 3000 miles and love them. i ride the hell out of them too. ive pushed them very hard in corners, even in cold weather and rain, and then havent slipped once. i still have plenty of tread as well.
My slippage may be a result of me being 6'7" and 250. I look like a Clown on a minibike as my wife says .....Dammit i will not ride a goldwing woman! not until im at least 58+.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RK1
They're Japanese.

Thank you for the correction.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Shinkos are NOT Japanese. They're KOREAN built tires. Shinko acquired molds and rights from Yokohama back in the 90's. As a point of reference Guy Martin (British SuperBike series) ran a back to back tire comparison for Performance Bike Magazine recently. Using a new '08 Kawasaki ZX-10R and it's OE dual compound Bridgestone BTO-16 tires as a baseline a pair of Korean built MAXXIS Supermaxx tires were mounted and run. The difference? 3/10ths of a second slower per lap for the much cheaper (30%) MAXXIS tires. IF you have a wall full of Number 1 plates from MotoGP, WSB, or AMA SB and have unlimited financial resources spend the extra money. Too many street riders think they're really fast and NEED the latest cutting edge technology. The reality is often much different. When I can buy TWO rears and a front for what a single rear and front normally cost from big name manufacturers I'm gonna take advantage. And again I haven't had any negative experiences with either the 005 or 009 Shinkos.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:50 AM
SuperSport

i agree
Old 09-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Superstock

Quote from altosuperhawk:
Too many street riders think they're really fast and NEED the latest cutting edge technology.

You nailed it buddy i would guess that less than 3% of street riders use the full potential of
ANY said tire.....
Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
i wouldn't put em on a hawk, we and budies use em on back of a zx-10 we drag race, it ll destroy my hawk and almost every busa u ll c at the rack, we use em b/c price, i pay bout 80 bucks for em
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 PM
The Pirate Sportbiker
Squid

VTArrrgh! is on a distinguished road
Hey, guys! Brand-new to the forum and checking out the Shinko thread, because the brand-new Metzelers my 996's previous owner threw on don't impress me. I had the Shinko Ravens on my '96 F3 for a full year and until I totaled it in July of 2011, I loved 'em. I bought 'em cuz I read a lot of reviews online about guys with Yamaha FZ1s and R1s not being able to break 'em loose in the corners. While I *was* able to break 'em loose with my F3 (probably due to my ham-fisted riding style), they did stick well enough for me to partake in some rather aggressive cornering. Also, they handled well in the rain and tread life seemed to be very, very good. I am seriously thinking about throwing a set of the Shinko Advance tires on my 'Hawk, because I like the idea of a more progressive profile and the fact that they warm up quickly. My Metzelers are too "sharp" and when the roads are cold (I live in Wisconsin and regularly ride to work in 20 and 30-degree temps), are about as sticky as a hockey puck!

I feel bad for the guys that buy into the "more money equals better quality and better performance" mentality. Are there better tires out there than the Shinko line? Hell yeah! But if you can get a *good* tire for a fair price, why let the name on the sidewall scare you off?

Last edited by VTArrrgh!; 04-15-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Hey VTArrgh, welcome to the forum! First let me start by thanking you for using the search button!! We all appreciate when someone asks a question after researching the topic a little!!

Originally Posted by VTArrrgh!
My Metzelers are too "sharp" and when the roads are cold (I live in Wisconsin and regularly ride to work in 20 and 30-degree temps), are about as sticky as a hockey puck!

I feel bad for the guys that buy into the "more money equals better quality and better performance" mentality. Are there better tires out there than the Shinko line? Hell yeah! But if you can get a *good* tire for a fair price, why let the name on the sidewall scare you off?
I've been using Z series Metzeler tires for several years (even the Z4 on my previous Hawk GT) with excellent results. I regularly see 8k out back and 10k up front. I consider myself no slouch (25 years on 2 wheels) and have absolutely NO grip issue with these. Are said tires old and dry cracked? Hell if you don't want 'em, send 'em to me.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Squid

rpolliard is on a distinguished road
I wanted to revive this thread a bit and ask specifically about the Shinko Advance 005. I inherited a front Advance 005 (not on the bike yet) and thinking about adding the rear Advance 005.

Can anybody who has these on their Hawk tell me about the handling characteristics?