Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Motor Work

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Squid

yekrahs is on a distinguished road
engine repair after cct failure

So I picked up a '98 super hawk knowing that it had come out of time and that it would be a winter project. Standard CCT failure on the front cylinder, bent all valves, broke one off in the cylinder. There is one small mark at the top of the cylinder where one of the valves was smashed against the wall and one small mark near the top where the broken valve hit as well as some marking on the cylinder itself. So I guess I am looking at replacing:
-Front cyl. head
-Crank shaft
-Piston
-Lower cases
-New (used) cam Chain
-Aside from the various gaskets, CCT's, PAIR removal (done by PO), TPS mod etc. is there anything else recommended?

I have located these parts and can get it all for under $300 delivered. I am wondering if it is a bad idea to try and piece this together using parts from a couple different machines or if i should try to get it all from one place/engine.

Another option I am considering (if it is even possible) is to have the cylinder honed out, If I do this do i need to go to bigger pistons or can that be taken care of with different rings? Sorry if that is a basic question, I'm learning....

or if anyone has an extra engine they want to get rid of cheap......

Thanks to all for any input and Thank You to everyone for the vast amount of information collected on this site. I really want to get this back on the road...

Last edited by yekrahs; 10-02-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
First off, welcome. Second, it's not as much picking up pieces left and right that are the problem, as fitting them together. Valves are a high tolerance moving part, and, if not well seated, may/will become an issue. Just as crank, cams and timing chains.

Is finding a complete engine, and, stripping off from only one source better ? Maybe, but still not a guarantee you won't run into problems down the line. So, taking the time to measure the specs of each item, will be the safest way to go, to assure you don't run into more damage in the short/long run.

Honing the cylinders should not necessitate oversized rings. It's basicaly just refreshing the nikasil. You may want to put news rings though. Once again, meassuring the cylinder with a dial guage before and after will answer may questions concerning this.

I'm sure many here have other opinions concerning this, and will chime in. Always nice to have those opinions before you start.

Good luck

Last edited by Jack Flash; 12-17-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Maybe you can work a deal with this guy. More money, much less work.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...e-motor-32725/
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Squid

yekrahs is on a distinguished road
I would love to get that frame and motor but I think shipping it will be a deal breaker....