Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 AM
been there crashed that
Squid
Squid

new2thehawk is on a distinguished road
98 ecu for a 02 motor will it work?

Hey All,
I have been away from here for a while... Kids, wife, work Yada Yada.

I had parked my superhawk in the garage with a bad motor, after a long search I found an 80% complete roller 2002 with a title for $500 wohoo

I put it in the garage about a year ago with the hopes that after a year I would open the garage and the motors would have switched places...

Well, after 2 weeks of long nights and a 4 year old helping me I have the 02 motor in the 98 frame, its back together and running (kinda)...

Here is the question, the ecu for the 02 is larger and a different plug than the 98. Will it work? I searched here and did not get a diffinative answer. The 02 motor is popping as if it is running lean, it will rev but its not smooth at all.

Just to be clear, I used the 98 wiring harness and ecu...

Any suggestion, its bone stock carbs, and a carbon two brothers exaust, stock airbox and filter.

Thanks all

Last edited by new2thehawk; 03-31-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:00 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Will have to wait for the experts to chime in, but I am under the impression that the motors are almost the same with only a slight cam profile difference and a slight timing advance in the later years to compensate for the softer cams. Have you gone through the carbs and then synced them after reassembly?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 AM
been there crashed that
Squid
Squid

Hey rz,

I used the stock carbs from the doner bike, I did not open them. They were clean and free, shame on me I should have at least opened them and checked them out. I have my original set that I have done the tps mod to and are jetted for d and d pipes.

I may set these up as suggested here for the Two brother pipes I have and swap them out

I also just relized that I forgot to plug the damn pair valve ports on the top of the valve covers. I plugged the airbox. Forgot these, that should help.

About a year and a half ago I knew all the little secrets... Slowly with the help of all my fellow SH owners I am rekindiling the brain
Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I dont see how you can use the diff ecu if the plugs are diff. Are you going to splice a new plug? I put a 05 motor in my 98 & all was fine. Althought I am suspect of the temp sender since it acts like its running hot now.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
been there crashed that
Squid
Squid

Motorectomy is 99% complete... I forgot to plug off the pair valves on top of the valve covers and that was it...

I pulled the pair system out and forgot to cap off the hose barb. I installed the rubber caps, she smoothed right down. Took a 2 mile loop in the crap weather in Jersey today and while i did not get above 40, she ran perfect..

If the ecu needed to be changed I probably would have swapped out wiring harness, would have saved me time with the 2 wire kick stand, I did not realize that the older one had 3 wires... It does funny things when u plug the kickstand into the low fuel light plug LOL

Now to get the jetting done, install the mx bars, move the rad under the seat along with the pipes...

She will look goooood

Last edited by new2thehawk; 03-31-2012 at 08:59 PM.