Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

CCT Failure and Bent Valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
CCT Failure and Bent Valves

I pulled the trigger and purchased a 2005 VTR1000 with a known problem. I paid $1250 for it. The bike has 33K on the clock. It has a clear title, new tires, a new battery and baring a few scratches the paint looks really good with zero dents in the tank. It has all the lights and turns signals. It also has a Two Brothers exhaust system.

The story goes that the guy rode it down the street and back. On his way back in started making grinding rattling noises from the front cylinder and then it quit. I heard it run long enough to diagnose a sloppy timing chain on the front cylinder. It sounds nasty. I am pretty sure it has bent a valve.

My only question, to someone that has gone down this road before, can you pull the head with the engine in the frame or will the engine need to come out?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
It's tight but I believe it can be done. Someone with a more definitive answer will chime in soon I'm sure.
I have a perfectly good head if you need one.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Superstock

Pulling the engine may be just as big of a pain as working on it in place. I may have to take you up on the offer. I will need to strip it and check it first. This will be my first experience with a VTR but I am no stranger to bike work. Most of the bikes I have owned have come in a box. I don't feel comfortable with a bike I haven't built. It will be next weekend before I can get to it. I didn't do any real work (I work for myself) over the Christmas holiday and now I have to catch up and make some money.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
Pulling the engine may be just as big of a pain as working on it in place. I may have to take you up on the offer. I will need to strip it and check it first. This will be my first experience with a VTR but I am no stranger to bike work. Most of the bikes I have owned have come in a box. I don't feel comfortable with a bike I haven't built. It will be next weekend before I can get to it. I didn't do any real work (I work for myself) over the Christmas holiday and now I have to catch up and make some money.
I have pulled the engine and it is a big job but certainly doable, especially for someone with your experience.
I'm pretty sure, however, that the head can be removed with the engine in the frame. You might search through some of the CCT failure threads for the answer. I recommend manual tensioners to eliminate the possibility of failure.
Lots of information on the forum about all this stuff.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Superstock

The manual tensioners are on the way. Now I just gotta get in there and see what they rest of the damages are.

I have never ridden this bike before. Several years ago, I had the loan of a VTR1000 from the shop I do work for. They put on customer group rides and I borrowed it for the ride since I was between bikes. It was a fun bike but a bit on the cramped side for an all day ride. Once I get it running and sorted I am sure I will be doing some comfort mods.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Squid

yekrahs is on a distinguished road
You can definitely pull the front cyclinder head without pulling the entire motor (current state of mine)...pretty easily.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by yekrahs
You can definitely pull the front cyclinder head without pulling the entire motor (current state of mine)...pretty easily.
Thanks for the info. I would rather the engine be captive while working on it than having it wobbling around the floor. My days of being able to single handily manhandle an engine around the shop and up onto the workbench are far behind me now. The last engine I did by myself was out of a Honda FT500 Ascot and it just about did me in. That's a heavy little lump.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
Thanks for the info. I would rather the engine be captive while working on it than having it wobbling around the floor. My days of being able to single handily manhandle an engine around the shop and up onto the workbench are far behind me now. The last engine I did by myself was out of a Honda FT500 Ascot and it just about did me in. That's a heavy little lump.
And the VTR complicates things by having the swingarm pivot run through the engine cases.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

waltr is on a distinguished road
Yes you can definitely pull the head with the engine installed. I bought mine the same way as yours and a similar price. All 4 valves were bent almost parallel to the top of the piston. I actually had to tap them with a ball peen hammer to straighten them enough to get the valve retainers out. I found someone on this forum that had some new valves for sale.

I went ahead and pulled the rear head as well so I would have fresh head gaskets on both cylinders. I lapped the valves to ensure a good seal while I was there. It has been at least 16,000 trouble free miles since.

So I know for a fact they can bothe be done in the frame.

Walt
Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by waltr
Yes you can definitely pull the head with the engine installed. I bought mine the same way as yours and a similar price. All 4 valves were bent almost parallel to the top of the piston. I actually had to tap them with a ball peen hammer to straighten them enough to get the valve retainers out. I found someone on this forum that had some new valves for sale.

I went ahead and pulled the rear head as well so I would have fresh head gaskets on both cylinders. I lapped the valves to ensure a good seal while I was there. It has been at least 16,000 trouble free miles since.

So I know for a fact they can bothe be done in the frame.

Walt
Thanks Walt! I can't wait to get cracking on mine. I like to buy bikes in this condition 1) Because I can't bring myself to pay full retail and 2) Because I hate to see a great bike abused and then discarded. The VTR1000 is a great bike! I can't wait but I gotta work this week.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Yup same happened to mine at 30mph many moons ago. Got a second-hand head and transplanted it on. You'll have a good un when back together and fitted with manual tensioners.

Take care when rejigging the timing as it's easy to put it 360 out if following the popular manual's intructions - it'll still run but will hit a brick wall at 7k.