Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

fan motor switch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
fan motor switch question

I was reading on the Speedzilla site that quite a few people have reversed the polarity on the rad fans on their RC-51's. That got me thinking.... I seem to recall that the fan on the VTR (as on the RC) blows from the outside of the bike into the engine bay (so to speak). This makes sense when one is in stop and go traffic as it is drawing on cooler air to help bring down the engine temp and feeding it away from the rider (although it must, to some degree, no pun intended, cause the engine to get warmer, a kind of circular process). However, in low-speed running, when then the low-pressure zone on the outside of the bike is insufficiently powerful (to pull air in through the rads), the fan, if it is operating, actually works AGAINST this natural airflow path. So, I was thinking that if one could install a manual switch (get rid of the automatic temp feature) which would allow you to run the fan in the stock direction when standign still, but run it in the opposite direction at low speeds (thereby enhancing the natural airflow), it would be the proverbial "cat's meow". What are your thoughts? Also, do they make such switches (I would imagien they do but...)?

ON another note, I took the (EX 400) oil cooler that I bought on eBay to a rad shop yesterday and had them straighten out the angled inlet so I should be good to go. Given the problems I had re-installing the stock cooler last time, however, I proceed differently and take the fairing off this time (to give myself more room to work).

Finally, as it still quite cool out up here and I have bad circulation in my hands, I inevitably find myself with cold stiff hands at this time of year (and late Fall). I had a pair of electric gloves kicking around (tested them for the smnowmobile magazine I work/write for) so I wired uop a plug-in (directly from the battery, no switch needed as I will only run them when the engine is running) and presto! I can now wear my electric gloves while riding so cold hands are no longer an issue. I just got back from a 100 mile ride and it works perfectly

gotta run......
Old 04-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
My '98 blows out. I've never modified it to do that. It came that way and is the way it should be. Maybe Honda messed yours up at the factory? Should be an easy fix. Just have to swap the terminals. There's usually a tiny metal tab on each terminal inside the connector that will allow you to remove it. I jeweler's screwdriver works well for this.

As for the switch, I believe if you install a single pole (on/off) switch in parallel with the temp sensor on the radiator that is what you need. Should be a fairly simple installation. Stock, it comes on at 208-216° and goes off at 199-207°.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:15 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
The stock VTR fan blows air through the radiator from the inside out as Hawkrider correctly pointed out.
As far as reversing the fan direction I would advise against it since the fan blades are designed specifically for the direction they are supposed to work in,i.e. blow through vs. draw through.
The GL 1800 is set up as you want to set the Hawk up, i.e. it sucks cold air in and blows it toward the center of the bike, but Honda set the fan circuit up so that the fans shut off at about 17 mph so that the fan blown air and the air entering from the front don't cancel each other.
Drawing air through the radiator is actually more efficient but not if you use the wrong fan blade design.
Simply reversing the motor polarity will do just that, make it less efficient/effective.
The most effective setup would be sucker fans on the outside of the side mounted radiators, ala Benelli TNT, but it's also very unattractive. ( Not the TNT, the fan motors )
Make sure that your fans are the stock ones, blow in the right direction and just ride the bike.
I've been running my single underseat radiator with two blower fans for the past two years and have yet to overheat.

Kai Ju