Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Moriwaki Exhaust with Rear Pegs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
The Stinger
Squid

norCal4Life is on a distinguished road
Moriwaki Exhaust with Rear Pegs

Hey just bought a '99 Superhawk that came with Moriwaki high mount exhaust with the passenger pegs removed. I would like to put them back on, but can't seem to get them to fit. Has anybody solved this issue, or am I hosed?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Well, you can always trade me for my stock header and pegs? JK I don't know the particulars on the Moriwaki's, but typically high mounts totally block the passenger peg mounting points. I may be wrong but I think someone has used CBR pass pegs because they were shorter.. I don't remember exactly. I know the holes didn't line up but it was close enough to do a little grinding to get them to fit. Hope that helps.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
It just needs longer bolts for the pegs, and a piece of steel pipe, aluminum, or equivalent. I would have to measure mine but they are maybe 4-5 inches.
Moriwaki Exhaust with Rear Pegs-pegs.jpg

Last edited by 98VTRrider; 02-10-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
One thing I worried about though was the stress on the subframe due to the added leverage when you extend the pegs outward. The subframe twists somewhat with enough pressure, I wouldn't recommend a heavy passenger standing on them.

They are great protection for your exhaust though. My second day on the track I lowsided and the passenger peg saved my muffler from total destruction, didn't get a scratch. The lower midpipe got a scuff though..
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 AM
The Stinger
Squid

Cool thanks guys, and thanks for the pic. I was considering using spacers but wasn't sure if that was a good idea for the same reason you mentioned. But if it isn't affecting your bike I will give it a try. We won't be using the back pegs that often, just every once in the while when the wife is brave enough to jump on the back LOL.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:34 AM
jonesey
Squid

jonesey is on a distinguished road
Got any pics of your new bike?
Be nice to see another Mori....
Old 02-11-2011, 04:24 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by norCal4Life
wife is brave enough to jump on the back LOL.

you mean dumb enough don't you. haha

welcome nor cal!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Leverage is no issue, subframe is steel. I have had mine like that for a couple years now, lots of passengers, never an issue.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey just bought a '99 Superhawk that came with Moriwaki high mount exhaust
Did you buy the bike from Mark, in Truckee?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Looks like the bike I saw on the local CL a week or so ago.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
The Stinger
Squid

Hey guys funny story about when I bought the bike. I bought the bike from a woman in Richmond, CA, saw it on Craigslist. I go to buy it and she was tiny, only maybe 5'5", and when I saw her I was like, "What the hell is she doing with this bike?" LOL. Then she opened the garage and had two other bikes in there, one ripped apart, and a ton of tools. Turns out she is a certified motorcycle tech. Then we go in her apartment to sign the paperwork, and she has pictures of herself racing all over the walls. She was definitely hardcore but a totally cool person. She had gone over the bike with a fine tooth comb because she was planning on keeping it for awhile. It has 30,000 miles but looks brand new, not one scratch on the plastic. In addition to the Moriwaki exhaust it has a Racetech front end and Penske rear racing shock, and she had rejetted the carbs for the exhaust. Loving the bike so far, so glad I got a Superhawk. I am a fan for life. I will post pics as soon as I get them downloaded. Another funny thing was when I first got the bike home my wife asked me if there was anything I could do to make it quieter. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "nope". LOL
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys funny story about when I bought the bike. I bought the bike from a woman in Richmond, CA, saw it on Craigslist. I go to buy it and she was tiny, only maybe 5'5", and when I saw her I was like, "What the hell is she doing with this bike?" LOL. Then she opened the garage and had two other bikes in there, one ripped apart, and a ton of tools. Turns out she is a certified motorcycle tech. Then we go in her apartment to sign the paperwork, and she has pictures of herself racing all over the walls. She was definitely hardcore but a totally cool person. She had gone over the bike with a fine tooth comb because she was planning on keeping it for awhile. It has 30,000 miles but looks brand new, not one scratch on the plastic. In addition to the Moriwaki exhaust it has a Racetech front end and Penske rear racing shock, and she had rejetted the carbs for the exhaust. Loving the bike so far, so glad I got a Superhawk. I am a fan for life. I will post pics as soon as I get them downloaded. Another funny thing was when I first got the bike home my wife asked me if there was anything I could do to make it quieter. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "nope". LOL
sounds like you won one. Welcome aboard.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
She single? (the mechanic racer chick that is)
Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
The Stinger
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn
She single? (the mechanic racer chick that is)
She did appear to be single, and also had a 70" TV with an X Box and a PS3. And an electric guitar. And a giant air compressor for her airbrush art.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
If your worried about the torque on the sub frame and your mid pipes put your slip ons far enough back you can "customize" your pegs to get them in closer. I'll see if I can find some pics.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 PM
The Stinger
Squid

I have been considering just cutting the top off of the mounting bracket for the stock pegs and redrilling holes in them so they are shorter and fit with the exhaust, my wife is only 5' tall anyway. Pics would be great man.