Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

molybendum oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
molybendum oil?

Someone will probably scorn me for this but eh... What is molybendum oil? I saw it in the knowledge base reading up on checking my valves and looked but no explanation. Thanks fellas.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
An oil that includes molybdenum as an ingredient.

I don't know if it is something you'd want in your bike or not.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It is usually used when building a new motor as a way to prelube the bearings and journals so they don't run dry until you build oil pressure.

If you are just checking the valve there is no need for it.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/in...d=54&Itemid=62
Originally Posted by dshakes
Someone will probably scorn me for this but eh... What is molybendum oil? I saw it in the knowledge base reading up on checking my valves and looked but no explanation. Thanks fellas.
Here ya go.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Superstock

Thanks guys. nuff said
Old 03-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
molybdenum is an element it naturally occurs in the ground and has some interesting properties, it's hard as crap, it's heavy as crap (heavier than steel and lead, lighter than tungston) and it's slick as crap. I think it would be interesting to sleeve a cylinder with it. It's great in high temp aps and hard enough roads have been built around large deposits instead of going through. Think of it as adding powdered graphite to your oil
Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by spladle160
molybdenum is an element it naturally occurs in the ground and has some interesting properties, it's hard as crap, it's heavy as crap (heavier than steel and lead, lighter than tungston) and it's slick as crap. I think it would be interesting to sleeve a cylinder with it. It's great in high temp aps and hard enough roads have been built around large deposits instead of going through. Think of it as adding powdered graphite to your oil
and if you get enough of it on your wet clutch, you are not going anywhere.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Ok so if your going to sleeve a cylinder with it make sure it's in a dry clutch application
Old 03-06-2010, 07:11 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
My Yamaha service manuals for my dirtbikes talk about this all the time. Molybendum grease and molybendum oil. They want you to use grease on some things and oil on others. It even tells you that to get molybendum oil, you take molybendum grease and mix it 1:1 with engine oil. The grease can be found at most auto parts stores. I've tried to locate some commercially available molybendum oil with no luck. So I just made up a batch and keep it in one of those little oil cans with the pump trigger.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
Its moly and it turns abrasive after 650 degrees fahrenheit. It turns from molybdenum disulfide to molybdenum trisulfide which is abrasive. Not good for your motor.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Superstock

I was going over the manual and the kb preparing to tackle the valve check on the hawk. Gotta say im a little nervous but i know i can do it and save hundreds in the process. The manual says to put some moly on various parts when reassembling the cams. Should i or should i not?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Back Marker

I wouldn't use moly. I would try to find a 100% DE waxed paraffinic base oil. Non commercial grade but maybe a high performance oil such as Lubrication Engineers, Amsoil, Rep-sol, or schaeffer oil to name a few.

Last edited by super duper hawk; 03-08-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I used the recommended moly oil homebrew. A good assembly lube probably would work too. I'm sure there are alternatives.
The cam rides in the aluminum of the cylinder head. IIRC, Honda's been doing this since the CB350. I've never read of a VTR1000F's cam bearing surfaces being scored or a cam being damaged as the result of negligent assembly following a valve shim replacement.
If you care enough about these details to post your question, you're more than careful enough to check valve clearances and change shims.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Back Marker

motormouth is an unknown quantity at this point
Read your service manual . Moly lube is used all the time . It is a assembly lube used Used for camshaft installations , clutch outer guides , outer needle bearing , water pump driven sprocket shaft , primary drive gear and sub gear sliding surfaces etc. etc. I believe it is used very sparingly . Also Bel-Ray makes Moly grease and oil . Bel-Ray makes a good product.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Then of course, there's Chrome Moly Steel. Adding Chromium and Molybdenum into the mix.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Back Marker

Of course OEM wants you to use Moly, because they want to sell more parts.....

Last edited by super duper hawk; 03-21-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Superstock

hmmm. mixed opinions. thats normal around here though! I have just read in some of the searches that moly is bad. just want to do it right. Now if i could just close on this new house i could use my new garage! Carports suck for wrenching on bikes!!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Squid

George H Hill is on a distinguished road
Moly is for chumps. Any grease application that calls for a Moly... use Slipstream Grease instead. Moly can build up and harden like crazy, making it a real PITA go clean back out. Slipstream doesn't harden like Moly.

(Personal Resume here - I've studied lubricants in great depth as I'm Co-Owner of Crusader Weaponry and we make Slipstream. We tested lubricants extensively and found Moly to be something you don't want in your Firearms, Locks, Hinges and especially motorcycles. The stuff we use in Slipstream is a better lubricant, without the negative side effects Moly can bring to the table. I'm not trying to sell anything - just saying... use what you want... But avoid Moly.)