General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

car oil-motorcycle oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
car oil-motorcycle oil?

Ok so i google up some oil for the bike and i find oil is like 12.99 or so a quart for oil labeled motorcycle.. soo i do the old ask.com look up and get their official answer as.. there is no difference.. to which several posters agreed and to which many more mechanics disagree..also on here ive searched up the oil post and i didnt run across any one really specifying as to a difference either just as to a brand or weight they use..

Question is this.. can i run down to the local auto parts place and buy 15w50 of oil or do i have to buy that super expsensive labeld oil for motorcycle use?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
When looking for any info pertaining to your hawk only use our forum search engine. Guaranteed what ever you are looking for has been discussed. Esp. oil and tires........
Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Oh no, another oil thread.

Like shizzy said on your other thread, automotive oils now contain additives which can make your clutch slip since the clutch is bathed in oil. These oils are labeled "energy conserving" on the container and have an API Service Rating of SM. The last oil produced without these additives was API SJ. All "motorcycle motor oils" are SJ. So basically it's a throwback, that's why you pay more. I use Pro Honda GN4 10w40 from the Honda dealer at $20/gallon. The SuperHawk takes 4.1 quarts.

Oh, and he may be "mildly retarded", but he pretty much knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 06-05-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Autozone stocks Valvoline MC in 10w40 and 20w50 for $3.99/qt. if you want official MC oil.

In synthetics Mobil 1 15w50 and Rotella 5w40 run around $5/qt. in jugs at wallyworld. Lot of people use them in bikes.

For $3/qt. or less the 15w40 "universal" like Rotella, Delo, Delvac etc. are running fine in a huge number of bikes.

All of the above are not energy conserving and all have enough zinc and phosphorus, which a lot of "car" oils don't anymore.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

"Pretty much"... just enough to do some damage.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:13 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I will chime in to say that VTRsurfer is 100% correct. Get motorcycle specific but also get pure synthetic. It is about a million times better (give or take), doesnt break down as quickly etc. There is really no comparison.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:34 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

If you change oil every 1500 -2000 miles, synthetic becomes a waste. if you go normal intervals, its great. my 2cents.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:54 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Wow, what an uncharacteristic response. Synthetic a waste? Do you still use smoke signals for communication? Hack the web for lubrication studies. It is not even close between the two. Guess it depends on how much or little you value your internal combustion engines & their longevity.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:06 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

No, I understand that synthetics are great! My point is, if I change the oil every 1.5-2k, the oil doesn't have time to break down all that much. So, in my mind reg. oil would be fine. If I were to change the oil every 8k, then OF COURSE I would use synthetic. Does any one else see my logic, or am I crazy?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
No, I understand that synthetics are great! My point is, if I change the oil every 1.5-2k, the oil doesn't have time to break down all that much. So, in my mind reg. oil would be fine. If I were to change the oil every 8k, then OF COURSE I would use synthetic. Does any one else see my logic, or am I crazy?

Yes I do, +1.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
Lubrication Engineers 15-40 is simply the best........
Old 06-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I see your logic, wizzy. I doubt that speaks well to your sanity, however.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:50 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

huh?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I agree with you but you may still be crazy. Sorry man.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:53 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Amsoil makes the best synthetic motorcycle or gear oil ever produced, but until you use it you will never know.
20-50 V Twin formula

motor honey

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 06-06-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Shizzy here. If my bike were to be ridden 10k miles in a year, and it did not burn oil at a rate of about 1 quart every 2k miles, then full synthetic would certainly be the way to go. I must deal with the reality that most motorcycle owners face: the bike hardly accumulates miles, and the expected mileage after 10 years of ownership will be less than 50k. The cost of running full synthetic motor oil, for me, is nothing more than money burned.
As of right now, cash is in short supply. I cannot even afford to renew the license plate tags at this time. I think that the old Rotella 15W40 will be more than adequate! It sure does smooth out the gearbox too.

One thing that I do not understand is a guy who will baby his ride with expensive oil changes with the full intention of selling the vehicle after the year's end... or even better, the guy who does the same for a vehicle that is leased.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Synthetic is nice but Rotella 15w40 is more than adequate for street riding. It's a motorcycle engine, not a nuclear submarine. If you abuse and neglect it with crappy oils and overly long change intervals it will still last you longer and go more miles than you will own it for.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by davidka
Synthetic is nice but Rotella 15w40 is more than adequate for street riding. It's a motorcycle engine, not a nuclear submarine. If you abuse and neglect it with crappy oils and overly long change intervals it will still last you longer and go more miles than you will own it for.
hahaha a nuclear sub.. hahaha 150 men go down for 6 months under sea "MANeuver's" and 75 couples come back up... lol GOO NAVY..
Old 06-06-2009, 04:47 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Careful 5150! Speak not of what you do not know. The future of fighting is in Subs, not anywhere else. You can't see them with satellites. The newest attack subs carry more Tomahawks than any frigate.

Careful.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Careful 5150! Speak not of what you do not know. The future of fighting is in Subs, not anywhere else. You can't see them with satellites. The newest attack subs carry more Tomahawks than any frigate.

Careful.
haha nothing against the navy i'm just ex Army so i couldn't resist a chance to rag on the sub boys lol. No offense was intended. and have you not seen he x files episode where muldor finds that 50 mile long antenna aray that kills all the birds and **** in the general area? lol you know the one they use on the tv show to find subs that the satelites cant.. i mean i saw it on tv it must be true.. right?

I take it you are Active navy or ex navy?

Last edited by 5150; 06-06-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling like always..lol
Old 06-06-2009, 05:27 PM
MotoGP

Mobil 1 came out in the mid to late '70s. They claimed it would save you money by recommending 25,000 mile oil changes. They suggested changing the oil filter and adding 1 quart every 5,000 (i think). 4 old quarts would remain in most engines at that time.

This was at the beginning of my teaching career, and I told my students "the oil may last that much longer for lubrication, but what about the acids that form in the oil and water from condensation which forms sludge?".

I agree with shizzy. Our '98 4Runner has 263,000 miles and has never had the oil level go below the full mark between changes, which are done at 3,000 miles with 10w30 Castrol.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:13 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road

Active Navy and a Submariner.

We're the first there. The Navy Jets are the first planes there. Our grunts, the Marines, are the first ground forces there. 75 couples we may be according to some, but we're the first "To put warheads, on foreheads".
Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 PM
MotoGP

We're the first there. The Navy Jets are the first planes there. Our grunts, the Marines, are the first ground forces there. 75 couples we may be according to some, but we're the first "To put warheads, on foreheads".
Good for you guys. I was in Naval Security Group in the late '60s, we had something to do with subs too, but I'm not supposed to talk about it.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
several years ago, I called Mobil tech to ask some questions about their oils relative to some experimenting I was doing with my semi(Cummins engine). At that time, they told me that their mobil 1 synthetic was great in that it contains anti-wear and other additives that resist heat breakdown. The one area of weakness of all pure synthetics according to them was the they do not hold dirt in suspension as well as organic oils. Therefore, if pure synthetic oil accumulates enough dirt, it will wear internal eng parts faster. Upon their advice, I started mixing organic and synthetic to get the best of both types. Within the following year, oil companies started selling blended oils. Consequently, I have been blending synthetic and organic ever since. i don't run high mileage between oil changes but i add about a quart and a half of organic per oil change just to be on the safe side. I can't say with certainty that this still applies as i have not queried them recently, but I have been self blending in all my vehicles for years.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

hahhahahahahahaha lol war heads on foreheads...dude im changing that to my signature line.. man that is a instant classic quote Erik.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by nath981
several years ago, I called Mobil tech to ask some questions about their oils relative to some experimenting I was doing with my semi(Cummins engine). At that time, they told me that their mobil 1 synthetic was great in that it contains anti-wear and other additives that resist heat breakdown. The one area of weakness of all pure synthetics according to them was the they do not hold dirt in suspension as well as organic oils. Therefore, if pure synthetic oil accumulates enough dirt, it will wear internal eng parts faster. Upon their advice, I started mixing organic and synthetic to get the best of both types. Within the following year, oil companies started selling blended oils. Consequently, I have been blending synthetic and organic ever since. i don't run high mileage between oil changes but i add about a quart and a half of organic per oil change just to be on the safe side. I can't say with certainty that this still applies as i have not queried them recently, but I have been self blending in all my vehicles for years.
man i remember a time when it was frowned upon hugly to switch to non synthetic once you ran it in the engine.. and to hear it is blended omg.. soo i guess i wont be in much trouble going back to regular if the last owner had synthetic in the bike before me?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 5150
man i remember a time when it was frowned upon hugly to switch to non synthetic once you ran it in the engine.. and to hear it is blended omg.. soo i guess i wont be in much trouble going back to regular if the last owner had synthetic in the bike before me?
I wouldn't think so although I would at least add a quart of synthetic to gain the lubrication/protective benefits. Cheap maintenance/insurance.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Back Marker

Has any one ever heard of Lubrication Engineers it is simply the best......I put this oil up against any oil and we can prove it with oil anyalisis.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:06 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by super duper hawk
Has any one ever heard of Lubrication Engineers it is simply the best......I put this oil up against any oil and we can prove it with oil anyalisis.
I used to send my truck oil for analysis, but i can't remember the where or who, thru a trucking mag. advertisement. Have you been analyzing oil for 10 years or better?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Back Marker

No I have not but I am trained in the lubrication industry and oil analiysis is the only way to tell if the oil is good or bad. rubbing oil between fingers and tasting is the oil school way.

Quick Reply: car oil-motorcycle oil?