Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Messed up my aftermarket blinkers

Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
  #1  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Messed up my aftermarket blinkers

I bought a set of flush mount blinkers for the front. The blinkers only came with two wires and no place for a ground. The factory blinkers have a ground. I tied the factory ground to the negative lines on each side since the flush mounts have not place to accept a ground. Thought that would work but now my small head light and gauge cluster don't work. Any help out there?
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 3,447
VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The 2 wire flushmounts don't accommodate the running lights of the stock units, so you'd just hook up the blinker hot lead and ground to the 2 wires on the flushmounts. You'd have to tape off the 3rd wire for the running lights to prevent it from grounding out and blowing a fuse...which I'm guessing you did (blow a fuse by shorting to ground, that is).
VTRsurfer is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 AM
  #3  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer View Post
The 2 wire flushmounts don't accommodate the running lights of the stock units, so you'd just hook up the blinker hot lead and ground to the 2 wires on the flushmounts. You'd have to tape off the 3rd wire for the running lights to prevent it from grounding out and blowing a fuse...which I'm guessing you did (blow a fuse by shorting to ground, that is).
Thanks man. I'll try that and let you know how It works out
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 12:28 PM
  #4  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer View Post
The 2 wire flushmounts don't accommodate the running lights of the stock units, so you'd just hook up the blinker hot lead and ground to the 2 wires on the flushmounts. You'd have to tape off the 3rd wire for the running lights to prevent it from grounding out and blowing a fuse...which I'm guessing you did (blow a fuse by shorting to ground, that is).
Didn't work for me. Maybe I did it wrong. On the left factory is ground, orange/white and solid orange. I tied the ground to the solid orange and then to the two blinker wires.
On the right I have factory blue/white and solid blue. Hooked up the same way. Turned the blinkers on and it popped the fuse. I think/thought the factory hot wire is solid w/o a stripe. What am I doing wrong here??
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM
  #5  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer View Post
The 2 wire flushmounts don't accommodate the running lights of the stock units, so you'd just hook up the blinker hot lead and ground to the 2 wires on the flushmounts. You'd have to tape off the 3rd wire for the running lights to prevent it from grounding out and blowing a fuse...which I'm guessing you did (blow a fuse by shorting to ground, that is).
Calling for help! Anyone? I'm stuck on a beautiful day till I get this fixed
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
thetophatflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nooksack WA
Posts: 831
thetophatflash
On the right side the blue/white and the left side the orange/white are not used.
thetophatflash is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 PM
  #7  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Did that. No luck. Are there inline fuses behind the gauge cluster that may have popped?
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 PM
  #8  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jara311 View Post
Did that. No luck. Are there inline fuses behind the gauge cluster that may have popped?
Blinkers work but not the cluster. Are there inline fuses behind the cluster that may have popped? Btw, it's a 2002
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM
  #9  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jara311 View Post
Blinkers work but not the cluster. Are there inline fuses behind the cluster that may have popped? Btw, it's a 2002
No, only the fuse box and the main fuse.
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM
  #10  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Originally Posted by thetophatflash View Post
On the right side the blue/white and the left side the orange/white are not used.
Took the fairing off. Tried number six posting again. Got running lights and gauge cluster. Hit the blinker and popped the fuse.
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 PM
  #11  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jara311 View Post
Took the fairing off. Tried number six posting again. Got running lights and gauge cluster. Hit the blinker and popped the fuse.
Are you saying you had running lights in the front?
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 05:02 PM
  #12  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk View Post
Are you saying you had running lights in the front?
Now I do, yes. This whole time the ground has been wired with the hot and the other wires. That's wrong, right? Do I need to find a ground location to the frame?
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 PM
  #13  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jara311 View Post
Now I do, yes. This whole time the ground has been wired with the hot and the other wires. That's wrong, right? Do I need to find a ground location to the frame?
If you only have 2 wires in the front signal you either get running lights or blinkers, not both.

Choose which one you want.

There is no need to ground anywhere but the ground wire that is in the factory harness.

On your signals, one wire is hot, the other is ground. It's as simple as that.
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 AM
  #14  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Now, I could just tell you what wire to hook up where... But none of you that are having problems are going to learn from that, so I wont...

The obvious way to figure it out which two of the three wires on the bike that you hook up and which one you isolate off, is to take a multimeter and put the blinker on without hooking anything up...

Then use the multimeter... One pair of wires will give you a steady signal, thats running light... One combination will give you a pulsing signal, that's the one you want... The cable not used, you isolate off well...

It's not rocket science... It's not even half complicated... Most schoolkids will do this level of electronics in 4-6 grade as part of the physics/science education, so if you managed to survive to an adult age, it should be feasible to work it out...
Tweety is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM
  #15  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
thanks to all who gave solid advice that I was simply reading wrong. Special thanks to tweety who for a minute had me thinking my father was responding.
Jara311 is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
7moore7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,867
7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jara311 View Post
thanks to all who gave solid advice that I was simply reading wrong. Special thanks to tweety who for a minute had me thinking my father was responding.
lol
7moore7 is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 AM
  #17  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jara311 View Post
thanks to all who gave solid advice that I was simply reading wrong. Special thanks to tweety who for a minute had me thinking my father was responding.
I guess you have a smart father then... Listen too him...
Tweety is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Belgium, WI
Posts: 1,611
autoteach is on a distinguished road
Sad thing is, Tweety, most school kids actually dont use DMM's in USA. It is only in the very specialized classes that they will use them, and not every student takes those courses.
autoteach is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
7moore7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,867
7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
Sad thing is, Tweety, most school kids actually dont use DMM's in USA. It is only in the very specialized classes that they will use them, and not every student takes those courses.
This is entirely true... and in my area if this understanding of electronics was taught, it was in around 9th-10th grade.

Edit: But I am damn good at taking standardized tests!

Last edited by 7moore7; 06-21-2011 at 06:10 AM.
7moore7 is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
  #20  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Ok, I stand corrected then...

In Sweden at least you get to learn the basics... Ie play around with batteries, lightbulbs and switches... And measure volt and ampere, ie which is in series, which is in parallel... The difference between AC-DC, and some more on the same theme...

This is taught to all students as part of the basic classes in science in 6'th -7'th grade or so, ie not optional... Still doesn't mean the Swedish students are much smarter than any others though...
Tweety is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 3,447
VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Ok, I stand corrected then...

In Sweden at least you get to learn the basics... Ie play around with batteries, lightbulbs and switches... And measure volt and ampere, ie which is in series, which is in parallel... The difference between AC-DC, and some more on the same theme...

This is taught to all students as part of the basic classes in science in 6'th -7'th grade or so, ie not optional... Still doesn't mean the Swedish students are much smarter than any others though...
Tweety, Here in the US, the public schools are much more concerned with teaching tolerance of alternative lifestyles than they are with teaching anything that could be somewhat useful and practical.
VTRsurfer is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM
  #22  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Cool thing is is that I learned a little something. BTW, I now know how to make your brake light flash when you are at a stop All you have to do is tie your ground, hot line of blinker, and the two blinker aftermarket wires together, as one. When you hit the blinker, whala, your brake flashes! see how useful this exercise was?
Jara311 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Big Shepp
Technical Discussion
19
10-04-2011 11:47 PM
pzurek18
Technical Discussion
38
06-21-2009 08:27 PM
supermonie
Technical Discussion
7
05-07-2009 06:47 AM
superbawk
Technical Discussion
3
11-14-2008 07:15 PM
Cheesedrug
General Discussion
3
06-08-2006 02:51 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Messed up my aftermarket blinkers


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.