Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Messed up my aftermarket blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Squid

Jara311 is on a distinguished road
Messed up my aftermarket blinkers

I bought a set of flush mount blinkers for the front. The blinkers only came with two wires and no place for a ground. The factory blinkers have a ground. I tied the factory ground to the negative lines on each side since the flush mounts have not place to accept a ground. Thought that would work but now my small head light and gauge cluster don't work. Any help out there?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The 2 wire flushmounts don't accommodate the running lights of the stock units, so you'd just hook up the blinker hot lead and ground to the 2 wires on the flushmounts. You'd have to tape off the 3rd wire for the running lights to prevent it from grounding out and blowing a fuse...which I'm guessing you did (blow a fuse by shorting to ground, that is).
Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
The 2 wire flushmounts don't accommodate the running lights of the stock units, so you'd just hook up the blinker hot lead and ground to the 2 wires on the flushmounts. You'd have to tape off the 3rd wire for the running lights to prevent it from grounding out and blowing a fuse...which I'm guessing you did (blow a fuse by shorting to ground, that is).
Thanks man. I'll try that and let you know how It works out
Old 06-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Squid

Didn't work for me. Maybe I did it wrong. On the left factory is ground, orange/white and solid orange. I tied the ground to the solid orange and then to the two blinker wires.
On the right I have factory blue/white and solid blue. Hooked up the same way. Turned the blinkers on and it popped the fuse. I think/thought the factory hot wire is solid w/o a stripe. What am I doing wrong here??
Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Squid

Calling for help! Anyone? I'm stuck on a beautiful day till I get this fixed
Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
On the right side the blue/white and the left side the orange/white are not used.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Squid

Did that. No luck. Are there inline fuses behind the gauge cluster that may have popped?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Jara311
Did that. No luck. Are there inline fuses behind the gauge cluster that may have popped?
Blinkers work but not the cluster. Are there inline fuses behind the cluster that may have popped? Btw, it's a 2002
Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Blinkers work but not the cluster. Are there inline fuses behind the cluster that may have popped? Btw, it's a 2002
No, only the fuse box and the main fuse.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Squid

Angry

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
On the right side the blue/white and the left side the orange/white are not used.
Took the fairing off. Tried number six posting again. Got running lights and gauge cluster. Hit the blinker and popped the fuse.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Took the fairing off. Tried number six posting again. Got running lights and gauge cluster. Hit the blinker and popped the fuse.
Are you saying you had running lights in the front?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Are you saying you had running lights in the front?
Now I do, yes. This whole time the ground has been wired with the hot and the other wires. That's wrong, right? Do I need to find a ground location to the frame?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Now I do, yes. This whole time the ground has been wired with the hot and the other wires. That's wrong, right? Do I need to find a ground location to the frame?
If you only have 2 wires in the front signal you either get running lights or blinkers, not both.

Choose which one you want.

There is no need to ground anywhere but the ground wire that is in the factory harness.

On your signals, one wire is hot, the other is ground. It's as simple as that.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Now, I could just tell you what wire to hook up where... But none of you that are having problems are going to learn from that, so I wont...

The obvious way to figure it out which two of the three wires on the bike that you hook up and which one you isolate off, is to take a multimeter and put the blinker on without hooking anything up...

Then use the multimeter... One pair of wires will give you a steady signal, thats running light... One combination will give you a pulsing signal, that's the one you want... The cable not used, you isolate off well...

It's not rocket science... It's not even half complicated... Most schoolkids will do this level of electronics in 4-6 grade as part of the physics/science education, so if you managed to survive to an adult age, it should be feasible to work it out...
Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Squid

thanks to all who gave solid advice that I was simply reading wrong. Special thanks to tweety who for a minute had me thinking my father was responding.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
thanks to all who gave solid advice that I was simply reading wrong. Special thanks to tweety who for a minute had me thinking my father was responding.
lol
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 AM
MotoGP

I guess you have a smart father then... Listen too him...
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Sad thing is, Tweety, most school kids actually dont use DMM's in USA. It is only in the very specialized classes that they will use them, and not every student takes those courses.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
Sad thing is, Tweety, most school kids actually dont use DMM's in USA. It is only in the very specialized classes that they will use them, and not every student takes those courses.
This is entirely true... and in my area if this understanding of electronics was taught, it was in around 9th-10th grade.

Edit: But I am damn good at taking standardized tests!

Last edited by 7moore7; 06-21-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
MotoGP

Ok, I stand corrected then...

In Sweden at least you get to learn the basics... Ie play around with batteries, lightbulbs and switches... And measure volt and ampere, ie which is in series, which is in parallel... The difference between AC-DC, and some more on the same theme...

This is taught to all students as part of the basic classes in science in 6'th -7'th grade or so, ie not optional... Still doesn't mean the Swedish students are much smarter than any others though...
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Ok, I stand corrected then...

In Sweden at least you get to learn the basics... Ie play around with batteries, lightbulbs and switches... And measure volt and ampere, ie which is in series, which is in parallel... The difference between AC-DC, and some more on the same theme...

This is taught to all students as part of the basic classes in science in 6'th -7'th grade or so, ie not optional... Still doesn't mean the Swedish students are much smarter than any others though...
Tweety, Here in the US, the public schools are much more concerned with teaching tolerance of alternative lifestyles than they are with teaching anything that could be somewhat useful and practical.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Squid

Cool thing is is that I learned a little something. BTW, I now know how to make your brake light flash when you are at a stop All you have to do is tie your ground, hot line of blinker, and the two blinker aftermarket wires together, as one. When you hit the blinker, whala, your brake flashes! see how useful this exercise was?