Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

HELP!! My hawk is messed up!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Squid

pzurek18 is on a distinguished road
HELP!! My hawk is messed up!!

Alright guys this has been going on randomly on and off for a few weeks now and i just havent ripped her apart yet to try to find the problem well this is what happens. When im driving in either 4,5,6 gear everytime if im just cruising the rpm's between 4-5k will just stick there, the bike will seem to lose power, i can turn the throttle alllll the way and nothing will happen it will just lose power until i downshift to about 2nd or 1st and i have to rev it to almost "pop" it out of whatevers going on and at this time i can rev all the way and the tach will only go to about 3 k even though im revving fully on the gas. Also when im revving it anything over 6 my friend says im shooting flames out the exhaust. This is soo annoying i feel as if my bike is unreliable because anything over 70 just cruising the bike will start losing power in those or higher rpm's the odd part is that is just stays between 4-5 k until it looses power or just jerks me around. also at lower speeds as well sometimes in the lower gears it'll jerk around a lot until it finally goes smooth but 1,2,3 gears are usually fine. Sorry the rant kinda as well but I just dont get whats wrong. You guys think its spark plugs? maybe the carb slides are sliding fully? or anyone think it can be carb jetting? like the carb can be clogged with dirt? please any help is greatly appreciated. Its soo annoying revving the crap out of the bike to make her finally run normal again for a few miles before she'll lose all power again.

Thanks in advance

Pawel
Old 06-16-2009, 03:29 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Fuel starvation, did you had your tank removed recently ??
Check hoses, tank venting, petcock, specially the vacuum line that runs to the back of it from the rear cyl head is not swapped with the vent line.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Torn petcock diaphragm. I had this very same thing happen to me twice within one year.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
sounds like you need to take the tank off and have a look at the throttle cables' adjustment to find out if they are operating correctly first. You'll have to start checking around under the tank til you find something wrong. Maybe a diaphragm, a hose off or cracked, etc. I sure as hell wouldn't ride it until I located the problem. You should have a shop manual or download one to check things out unless you lucky enough to be able to see something obvious.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by mikstr
Torn petcock diaphragm. I had this very same thing happen to me twice within one year.
Hmmm, that's a new one to me - glad I had a look at this thread, just in case I run into this mystery.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Hmmm, that's a new one to me - glad I had a look at this thread, just in case I run into this mystery.
i couldn't even get my petcock out of the tank so i could tear it apart to see if it has a diaphragm, but assuming it does, it sounds like a likely cause.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Squid

im just curious how would the hoses and lines make this problem happen irregularly *mispelled* wouldnt it constantly run like that? and also would that really keep it in that RPM range? if so how come thats what made me so confused on how it wont budge past a certain point. But def looks like ill have to be taking her apart so your saying make sure the vacuum line and the gas line should be switced and then ill know? sorry im kind of a squid to this ive never really taken her apart.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:39 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by pzurek18
im just curious how would the hoses and lines make this problem happen irregularly *mispelled* wouldnt it constantly run like that? and also would that really keep it in that RPM range? if so how come thats what made me so confused on how it wont budge past a certain point. But def looks like ill have to be taking her apart so your saying make sure the vacuum line and the gas line should be switced and then ill know? sorry im kind of a squid to this ive never really taken her apart.
could be a lot of things unless someone more knowledgeable can rule out things.
If you are capable or want to learn, you need to get a shop manual, check plug/coil wire connections to make sure everything is securely attached,if not, take the tank off and check everything out.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Or air leak in the carbs tops area.
Check for rips in the CV plungers diaphragm. (both)
That CV plunger piston wont rise if either of these happen.

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 06-16-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I agree this could be it. Last year mine tore and it acted a lot like what you are describing.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Torn petcock diaphragm means it will give gas when it shouldn't and not when it should or at least not enough... ie it won't rev...

Same with a air leak in some of the carb hoses or in the diaphragms, it won't rev... So both are possible...

Another one on your list to check... sticking carb slide... Since you say it works intermittently...

And weather or not it's a clogged carb, once you have it apart and are checking the internals, give them a good clean and sync them... Rules out those symptoms...
Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Squid

alright guys sounds like a plan , so what exactly is the petcock diaphram, any way of describing it? but ya im gonna take it apart and look for rips or cracks in everything, and how do i know if the vacuum line is mixed up? as well as cleaning the carbs and everything i figure i might as well do that just to make sure! how do you sync the carbs while cleaning it?

Thanks for all the help guys its really appreciated and is helpin out!!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Make sure the CV plungers slide up and down freely at least, get that outs the way. ... avoid tail chasing.

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 06-16-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:58 AM
MotoGP

The petcock diaphragm is the rubber thing inside the petcock once it's opened up... It's that easy...

As for the vacuum hoses in the right place... Search PVLIR on the forum...

You sync carbs after cleaning and assembling them back on the bike... And that's done every time you have them of/apart... There are numerous threads on this and on cleaning on the forum...
Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Squid

Hey guys i have a quick question, i took off my tank just now and i had to the two big hoses one on each side, and then the really small thin one was on the Right side and there was the little nozzle pointing down, what my "vacuum line" on the wrong nozzle? because the one pointing downwards was leaking a little bit of gas when i was taking it off. Sorry for the squid Question but i just dont know the name for all the nozzles
Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
MotoGP

the petcock vacuum connector pointing down on the left side is a dummy and doesn't get a vacuum line
Old 06-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Squid

Pic1
Name:  IMG00244.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  43.1 KB
Pic2
Name:  IMG00245.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  52.6 KB
Pic3
Name:  IMG00246.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  34.7 KB
Pic4
Name:  IMG00247.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  36.8 KB
Old 06-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Squid

Alright guys is #4 the petcock DiaphraM? and also does number 3, that being ripped will it cause any problems while riding?
Ok guys all the lines seem fine and the vacuum line is not on the downwards third nipple i put it on the one behind the bigger hoses.
What else do you guys think? i didnt see any rips the only thing is a still dont know if i have a "torn diaphram"

Thanks guys hopefully the pictures help
Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Hey guys i have a quick question, i took off my tank just now and i had to the two big hoses one on each side, and then the really small thin one was on the Right side and there was the little nozzle pointing down, what my "vacuum line" on the wrong nozzle? because the one pointing downwards was leaking a little bit of gas when i was taking it off. Sorry for the squid Question but i just dont know the name for all the nozzles
It goes on the one pointing right, the one pointing down is the vent to allow the diaphragm to get air on the back side.. And if that was leaking fuel, it is likely that your diaphragm is torn or damaged.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Alright guys is #4 the petcock DiaphraM? and also does number 3, that being ripped will it cause any problems while riding?
Ok guys all the lines seem fine and the vacuum line is not on the downwards third nipple i put it on the one behind the bigger hoses.
What else do you guys think? i didnt see any rips the only thing is a still dont know if i have a "torn diaphram"

#4 is the fuel sensor.

The diaphragm is inside #1.. you have to take the petcock apart to get to it.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 PM
MotoGP

no, #4 is the low fuel sensor and the rip won't hurt anything if put back carefully. The petcock diaphragm would be in the petcock.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Squid

Ok so you guys recomendd taking off the petcock? And look into it? Is the gas gong to go thru it when I take it off? Also what should I be looking for when I take it apart.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 PM
MotoGP

Ok so you guys recomendd taking off the petcock? And look into it? Is the gas gong to go thru it when I take it off? Also what should I be looking for when I take it apart.

Thanks
we'll i don't know if you need to take the petcock apart. Are you sure the gas was actually coming out or did gas come from pulling a gas line apart or did you have something wrongly attached to it?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Squid

Ok well I have the pet **** off but there that orange almost filter looking thing that doesn't want to come out, is that the diaphram? And the gas was comigng out of the bottom nozzle the one you guys said was a fake one so should I take that filther thing out to check if its ripped?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 PM
MotoGP

Ok well I have the pet **** off but there that orange almost filter looking thing that doesn't want to come out, is that the diaphram? And the gas was comigng out of the bottom nozzle the one you guys said was a fake one so should I take that filther thing out to check if its ripped?
the diaphragm is inside the petcock so you have to pull it out and disassemble.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
When you look at your pic #1 you see the petcock. The side opposite of the one shown in the pic is where the diaphram lives and you get to it by removing the 4 screws
Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Squid

oh ok so that filter is ok? i can just leave it there and also what should i be looking for as the diaphram and if it is in fact ripped or torn, how do i go about fixing it? just the local honda dealership? thanks for all the help guys its really helping a lot!!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned
MotoGP

You should also replace the foam filter in pic #3. That is where the carb pulls in air for the back side of the slide and with a bad or torn filter you will be pulling dirt and crap into the carbs...
Old 06-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Banned
MotoGP

oh ok so that filter is ok? i can just leave it there and also what should i be looking for as the diaphram and if it is in fact ripped or torn, how do i go about fixing it? just the local honda dealership? thanks for all the help guys its really helping a lot!!
By just looking you will see if it's torn or not (it might be a bit of a pain to get the cover off as the diaphram can sometimes stick to one side of the petcock, so be careful on disassembly) and if it is torn you have to replace it....
Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 PM
MotoGP

To clarify... the diaphragm is a circular rubber sheet the size of that metal thing... It's wedged inside of it and the vacuum moves it to operate as a switch... If ripped it leeks and won't move as it's supposed to... Also then fuel can get through to the fake nipple and leak like yours did...

Yes, fuel will come out when you open things up... Turn the tank upside down to keep from playing fireball...

Quick Reply: HELP!! My hawk is messed up!!