Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I messed up now my bike won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Squid

superbawk is on a distinguished road
I messed up now my bike won't idle

I’ve got a 99 SH box stock. I got married and started a family and before I knew it, my battery was dead and the carbs were dry. The bike then sat for 1.5 years. So I finally got off of my but and installed a new battery and fresh gas and the carbs puked gas (stuck floats). So I pulled the carbs disassembled them and cleaned everything I could. I didn’t remove the pilot screws because I didn’t have the tool and I didn’t do my home work. Well the bike won’t run without the choke fully pulled out and it won’t stay running below 2500-3000 RPM.

Before I pull the carbs (again) to remove the pilot screws is there anything else I should do or check while I have it apart. Thanks in advance for any advice.

One good thing has come of this - I found this forum….
Old 11-14-2008, 04:59 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superbawk
I’ve got a 99 SH box stock. I got married and started a family and before I knew it, my battery was dead and the carbs were dry. The bike then sat for 1.5 years. So I finally got off of my but and installed a new battery and fresh gas and the carbs puked gas (stuck floats). So I pulled the carbs disassembled them and cleaned everything I could. I didn’t remove the pilot screws because I didn’t have the tool and I didn’t do my home work. Well the bike won’t run without the choke fully pulled out and it won’t stay running below 2500-3000 RPM.

Before I pull the carbs (again) to remove the pilot screws is there anything else I should do or check while I have it apart. Thanks in advance for any advice.

One good thing has come of this - I found this forum….

buy one of those gallon buckets of carb-parts cleaner and let them soak in it overnight

spray inside and out with carb spray and should be good to go.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Better yet, Get some good fuel system cleaner and put it in the tank and ride around. Fixed the sheet outta mine in about 2 tanks and did NOT have to pull the carbs. It works!!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Only running with the choke on is a classic symptom of a clogged pilot circuit, you need to clean it better. Ream it out with a bristle from a wire brush, spray through with carb cleaner then blow it out with compressed air. You need to hold the pilot jet up to a light and see a solid circle through it.