Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Manually adjusting APE CCTs

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Squid

rahjer is on a distinguished road
Manually adjusting APE CCTs

Just installed the APE manual tensioners this weekend, and other than getting enough parts off the bike to get to the front CCT and valve cover, the process went pretty good. Did the rear one first, learned a couple things, then did the front.

I've read all the treads related to adjusting them, and there really is no one good answer. I know I got them close enough (finger tight, back 1/2 turn, and the chains looked really close to what they were with the stock CCTs), but I thought I would try to fine tune them by adjusting when the engine was at idle.

The problem is I can't tell what it's supposed to sound like when the cam chain starts to rattle. My bike has over 60,000 miles and makes enough noise as it is. I tinkered with the rear adjuster, but after backing it off almost 2 turns without hearing anything out of the ordinary, I put it back where it was.

Anyone with some tips?

Roger
Old 11-18-2007, 02:13 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
ive got manual cct's on my bike too. i would like to know about them also, ive been told finger tight with a 1/4 turn back, but who knows. im know there are people here that know better than i.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
All bikes used to have manual ccts. Back in the day, the procedure (for this type) was to loosen them unitil you heard the rattling noise then tighten them until it went away then back off either 1/8 or 1/4 turn.

It's one of the great failings of APE that they won't address this question as succinctly as every manufacturer did in the 80s.