Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

adjusting APE CCT's ??? help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Squid

nellyshawk is on a distinguished road
adjusting APE CCT's ??? help

I recently just purchased a 99 superhawk and it has a couple of aftermarket parts on it, one of which is the APE CCT's. I have done a little research and I think you have to adjust them periodically. If so can anyone tell me how to do the adjustments on them. And also I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help.

Burn rubber - Not your Soul...
Old 06-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
This is what I do (and it's completely up to you if you want to do it this way), start the bike and let it warm up. Loosen the locknut while the bike is running and back the adjuster out about a turn. Now turn it in FINGER TIGHT, no more. Lock the locknut. Do the other side. The rear is easier than the front just due to lack of interference.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
This is what I do (and it's completely up to you if you want to do it this way), start the bike and let it warm up. Loosen the locknut while the bike is running and back the adjuster out about a turn. Now turn it in FINGER TIGHT, no more. Lock the locknut. Do the other side. The rear is easier than the front just due to lack of interference.
Hey Greg, when should these be installed? My hawk is a 99' with about 7000 miles, havent' heard any of the symptoms that others have described yet, but don't want it to happen and suprise me. what do you think?

TIA
Old 06-17-2006, 10:05 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
It really seems to be a bike by bike type thing, some have gone at 15,000, (where my bike is right now ), some have gone 30,000 and some before that. So basically if it makes you nervous change them or keep paying attention for noise and change but then you risk it being too late. I plan on doing mine in the very near future just incase, no noise yet but I don't want an unhappy surprise especially at the track doing 140.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I changed mine out when it started ticking. The hotter the bike got, the louder the ticking. I actually changed them out the first time at 10000 miles or so with OEM replacements. The noise came back before 20000 miles and I moved to the APEs.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Do you have a recommendation for getting at the front CCT? Besides hiring a kid with small hands?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:49 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
Do you have a recommendation for getting at the front CCT? Besides hiring a kid with small hands?
LOL. I used to be a bike mechanic back in the day when manual CCTs were common. We hated them for just this reason. I'd never put one on my own bike.

BTW, back then, every bike manufacturer had a spec for how far to turn the adjuster past when the noise stopped. I can't imagine why APE declines to do this.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

I have fat hands and I was able to get at it okay.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I have fat hands and I was able to get at it okay.
I bet mine are fatter.

Were you able to leave the tank on while reaching down to the CCT? Otherwise, there's a lovely thick hose in the way if you reach from the side...
Old 06-18-2006, 04:07 AM
Squid

mikenap is on a distinguished road
just installed my APE's and I did it according to their directions.....at TDC, set the slack between the cam sprockets to 1/4".

Am I all done now or should I adjust them as described in previous post..... by backing off until I hear a noise then turn back in until the noise goes away? Sound like this is the most optimum setting
Old 06-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
How about Pics, and step by step? lol....I am a visual person and not very book smart , but pics I can follow.... I think I will go ahead and change them out before any issues arrive...
Old 06-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Squid
Squid

Vincent
On mine, I find perfect adjustment is to loosen it all the way, bring the lock nut up to the bolt head, tighten it til you feel resistance, then 1/4 turn more and tighten the lock nut down. Make sure you go NO TIGHTER than the 1/4 turn. Some people say to do it while its running, but I would rather not be fooling with it while its running. Just my two cents.