Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Loose front sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Loose front sprocket?

OK, before you flame me, I did a search and found some useful info, but looking for more specifics. Is it normal for the front sprocket to have play? I have the Vortex 15-43 setup with a 520 chain. I recently noticed my chain was starting to kink in a few spots after a couple of seasons riding. So I was in process of replacing it when I then noticed the front sprocket was all loosey goosey. I also noticed the SH has no metal tab to bend into the nut like most sportbike sprockets so I thought I needed to torque it down, but it's right at the factory setting of 65 ft-lbs.

I read one thread that mentioned aftermarket sprockets can be loose and an extra washer solves it. The play is horizontal and the shaft splines themselves seem to be tight on the gear in the rotating plane so maybe a washer is the way to go. Since I did not do the install 2 years ago I have no reference point.

I'd appreciate those who've done sprocket installs sharing their thoughts and experience on this one. Thanks in advance.

JD
Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
No it is not normal to have play in the sprocket.I would suspect that the sprocket is worn.When replacing the primary sprocket remember the thicker side goes inward, toward the engine. If you think the sprocket is ok and chain alignment is ok I would check the output shaft bearing.Good luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
if you search the web you will find it is very common throughout the aftermarket sprocket co.

some people shim them tight others leave the small amount of play there.

tim
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I have two Hawks.... the stock sprockets had little to no play, the Vortex sprocket has every so slightly, a small amount of play.... I could probably shim it but we are talking like .01" to tighten it up nice... I figured it wasn't worth the effort.

J.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by trinc
if you search the web you will find it is very common throughout the aftermarket sprocket co.

some people shim them tight others leave the small amount of play there.

tim
+1 all the aftermarket front sprockets I've put on my SH have had some side play.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i know the one that came off one of my race quads had play but the new one i had to hammer on.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I purchased a steel Sunstar counter shaft sprocket, but found it had a lot of play. I returned it and got an oem sprocket which fit perfectly. Don't know why, but the aftermarket units fit like crap.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Most of the aftermarket stuff is made to fit multiple bikes.... I'm sure there is probably tiny differences between bikes, so they make these things fit the lowest denominator for the general size, and all the others are just off a tiny bit...

J.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
thanks everyone. I feel better. Thought there was a major problem. I'll probably replace the sprockets and chain as a set anyway, but it's good to know that about aftermarket sprockets.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by inderocker
I purchased a steel Sunstar counter shaft sprocket, but found it had a lot of play. I returned it and got an oem sprocket which fit perfectly. Don't know why, but the aftermarket units fit like crap.
Did you notice the rubber sound deadening material on the OEM sprocket which the aftermarket ones don't have?? That is the reason for the different fit. I've run aftermarket sprockets for around 60k on my SH with no problems or issues but as always YMMV