Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Someone put rocks in my gas tank!?!?!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Squid

josh2025 is on a distinguished road
Someone put rocks in my gas tank!?!?!

So if anyone has any way to get them out and to flush the tank it would be great.. OR if you have a tank for sale and know anyone that has a tank for sale that would be great too..
Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
man thats messed up. but cant you just remove the tank and turn it upside down? then after a good cleaning you should be good to go on the tank. i doubt that dropping rocks in your tank did any real damage to the tank. i would be more concerned with dirt in the fuel lines,carbs. how long have they been in there and how much did you ride it with them in the tank? but how did they get in there isnt your tank locked?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
How? It has a lock on it.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Just remove the tank and clean it, then flush it out real good. If they got in they can get out. I"m way to cheap to buy something if I can spend a few hours just fixing it myself.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Squid

the guy i bought it from lost the key so i had to put just a simple pop top on it so anyone could get in there. I just the the worst thing someone would do is steal the gas. The other problem is the easiest way to flush it and get all the dirt out would be to take out the fuel filter/screen thing but i can't seem to pop it out. I really just want a new tank.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by josh2025
the guy i bought it from lost the key so i had to put just a simple pop top on it so anyone could get in there. I just the the worst thing someone would do is steal the gas. The other problem is the easiest way to flush it and get all the dirt out would be to take out the fuel filter/screen thing but i can't seem to pop it out. I really just want a new tank.
yeah, I tried to pull mine out and couldn't get it out. Didn't want to **** it up, so let it be. But in your case, you need to pull it out to get it clean. Sounds like someone doesn't like you or some kids messin around. You need to get a locking cap, but if someone has it out for you or if you need to let your bike outside overnight, there are plenty of other ways unscrupulous ******** can terrorize your bike.

as far as getting to screen out, I think you need to pull harder. This is the only way to clean the tank out right. What a PIA, huh.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by nath981
yeah, I tried to pull mine out and couldn't get it out. Didn't want to **** it up, so let it be. But in your case, you need to pull it out to get it clean. Sounds like someone doesn't like you or some kids messin around. You need to get a locking cap, but if someone has it out for you or if you need to let your bike outside overnight, there are plenty of other ways unscrupulous ******** can terrorize your bike.

as far as getting to screen out, I think you need to pull harder. This is the only way to clean the tank out right. What a PIA, huh.

Yeah a definite PIA.. But yeah such a pain getting it out.. How the hell do i get the new one in without breaking it? I just might buy a new tank from ebay or someone in the forum.. Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Where in Michigan are you?
If you buy a new one, I'll take your old one off your hands. I'll even swap the tanks for you.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Pimpsterbim1
Where in Michigan are you?
If you buy a new one, I'll take your old one off your hands. I'll even swap the tanks for you.
Kalamazoo.. its the lower western part of michigan. Its about 2.5 hours away from chicago.. What do you mean swap the tanks? Do you have one your trying to sell.. And what is the best way to replace the fuel filter in the tank??
Thanks..
Josh
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
No i don't have one to sell. I was just saying if you buy another one and don't want your old one (rocky one) I'd take it. But I'm about 2.5 hours away so never mind. I'v never removed the fuel filter before, so I can't help you there.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 AM
Ottawa, Ont.
Squid

Riff is on a distinguished road
FWIW, rocks in the tank is an old school method of removing rust from the inside... learned this in Small Engines class way back in H.S. Probably done intentionally by the previous owner?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
If you can get the filter out I would flush it from that side with a hose. Tank upside down shaking it to get the rocks out. Don't leave any water in it to prevent rust. If you break the filter I would I would just put an 3$ inline filter on the line. Will stop stuff getting to the carbs just not the petcock.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Are you sure its rocks? Or does it sound more like gritty sand swishing around in there. I Recently pulled my tank, heard the sound described above,and thought, s##t someone put sand in there. I pulled the fuel valve (petcock) the strainer was a PITA because its such a tight fit. (and it had all this gritty crap stuck to it.)
You just have to keep working it around while keeping a steady pull on it, it has a second tight spot at the area I think constitutes normal/reserve demarcation.
Just take it slow and it'll pop out without damaging it, same on reinstalling it.
What I found inside my tank was a s-load of what looked like loose rust, but the inside of the tank appeared otherwise clean and shiny.
I haven't bothered to flush it out yet as I was changing out the tank due to dents from PO. When I do flush it though, It'll be with a strong stream of water followed by mineral spirits
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by stebbdt
Are you sure its rocks? Or does it sound more like gritty sand swishing around in there. I Recently pulled my tank, heard the sound described above,and thought, s##t someone put sand in there. I pulled the fuel valve (petcock) the strainer was a PITA because its such a tight fit. (and it had all this gritty crap stuck to it.)
You just have to keep working it around while keeping a steady pull on it, it has a second tight spot at the area I think constitutes normal/reserve demarcation.
Just take it slow and it'll pop out without damaging it, same on reinstalling it.
What I found inside my tank was a s-load of what looked like loose rust, but the inside of the tank appeared otherwise clean and shiny.
I haven't bothered to flush it out yet as I was changing out the tank due to dents from PO. When I do flush it though, It'll be with a strong stream of water followed by mineral spirits
Yeah its rocks and sand like a hand-full.. And hey thanks man and thanks everybody for the help. I just bought a new filter/strainer and i also bought a new tank. I'll be flushing the tank this weekend and replacing the strainer/filter while i wait for the new tank.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
MotoGP

Yeah its rocks and sand like a hand-full.. And hey thanks man and thanks everybody for the help. I just bought a new filter/strainer and i also bought a new tank. I'll be flushing the tank this weekend and replacing the strainer/filter while i wait for the new tank.
What did you pay for a new tank? are you going to sell your tank? Some like to use two tanks to fab one larger tank for more desirable range. if so, how much?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Squid

What did you pay for a new tank? are you going to sell your tank? Some like to use two tanks to fab one larger tank for more desirable range. if so, how much?
My tank is in pretty bad shape its got a big dent in it and i still cannot get all the rocks and sand out, it does have a new filter but as far as the rest goes it needs alot of work. If you want it you can have it. I just spent 25.00 on a new filter for it so if you want to pay like 50.00 for it thats cool. The dent is on the right side and if you wanted to turn it into a stunt tank it would be perfect for that so if you or anyone wants it let me know...
Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 AM
MotoGP

what year superhawk is the tank off of? I believe for later year model, the tanks are a little larger, but no sure.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Squid

what year superhawk is the tank off of? I believe for later year model, the tanks are a little larger, but no sure.
Its off a 1998 SH. And your right with the size of the tank the 1998 is the smallest of the SuperHawk gas tanks. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Honda increased the size of the SuperHawk tanks in 2000 and then again in like 02 or 03. Unfortunatly i don't know the Exact size but i know it holds a little over two gallons of gas with the big dent in the tank.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cameron
man thats messed up. but cant you just remove the tank and turn it upside down? then after a good cleaning you should be good to go on the tank. i doubt that dropping rocks in your tank did any real damage to the tank. i would be more concerned with dirt in the fuel lines,carbs. how long have they been in there and how much did you ride it with them in the tank? but how did they get in there isnt your tank locked?
Earlier this year, I lined my tank and found out what a PITA it is to get stuff out of a SH tank. I found that a previous owner broke a gas cap and all the lock pieces were down inside my tank (two locking tabs, springs, *****, and pieces of the lock housing). All the parts were heavily corroded. I had to totally clean and dismantle the tank to get it workable, but I was lining it anyway. As far as getting stuff out, I used flashlights, small mirrors, magnets, string, those extended three prong tool/parts grabbers, shaking the F out of it, and my MOM. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Who in the world would have been stupid enough to do that?! I would be kicking some major hiney for this crap.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
The US and Canada(pretty sure) never got the larger tank.

Its off a 1998 SH. And your right with the size of the tank the 1998 is the smallest of the SuperHawk gas tanks. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Honda increased the size of the SuperHawk tanks in 2000 and then again in like 02 or 03. Unfortunatly i don't know the Exact size but i know it holds a little over two gallons of gas with the big dent in the tank.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
if they put sand and rocks in the gas tank... i would check the oil too. that would be another easy way to total an engine.