Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Loose front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Squid

Pacatac is on a distinguished road
Loose front sprocket

I just did a 520 conversion kit with a 16 front and 43 rear. When I put the new front sprocket on I noticed that the sprocket was not flush with the drive shaft. When I put the nut and washer back on that holds the sprocket on, I noticed that the washer was not tight against the sprocket and therefore there is a little side to side play in the sprocket. I checked the repair manual and was careful taking the sprocket off and feel confident I am not missing any parts. Does anyone know if it is normal for the washer to not be tight against the sprocket?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Did you compare the thickness of the new sprocket with the old? You may have to add washers to the both sides to a) allow the bolt/washer to seat and hold the sprocket on, and b) keep the correct alignment between the front and rear sprockets.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Old Guy
Squid

LotusLand is on a distinguished road
I'm doing the same thing this afternoon using Renthal chain rings and the front sprocket had the same issue. I'm sure that some people run them loose but I think it's a very bad idea. I want all the wear to be on the chain/sprocket and not on the countershaft. After hitting up every cycle shop in the area and hearing "Sorry thats aftermarket - cant help you" - not one would even look to see if they had something that might work. I ended up at a transmission shop and the guy pointed me to a box of about 300 used and new thrust washers, pinion shims, etc. I found the exact one I needed for free!! The other thing about the Renthal sprocket that Hawkrider suggested was that the sprocket did not align correctly. So I shimmed the sprocket out .060" to correct the alignment which also solved my being loose problem.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Squid

Pacatac is on a distinguished road
Loose sprocket

Thanks for the replies. I'm late getting back because right after I posted the question my computer went down. I think I'll contact the vendor, "Sum of all Parts" and see what they say. I hope I don't have to take it apart again. I thought I had seen previous posts from guys who had used the same 520 kit and was hoping they would have some input.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Squid

Shortlived99 is on a distinguished road
i have done 2 520 conversions. Once 525 ~ 520 and then on the hawk from 530 ~ 525. Seems like u dont need to use washers or at least as many on the 525 to 520, but u definetly need them on the 530(which all hawks start as 530's). Good kits come with the washer, cheap ones dont. Good hardware stores will have the washers, place like osh.

For instance, ebay kits wont come with the washers. I was actually told the renthals did, I know the driven kits come with them. Anyways. Dont run it loose. I did that once and blew 2 rear sprockets and a brand new chain in about 3000 miles.

Last edited by Shortlived99; 05-15-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought my first conversion from those guys and just replaced the sprockets again using a Vortex front sprocket and neither time did I have to use a washer or have any play in the sprocket. Did you make sure you installed it correctly? Most sprockets have a front and back side to them.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I just installed a 'JT' 530 sprocket set and EK ZZZ chain yesterday. Before installing the sprockets I mic'd the new JT's- exaxctly the same dimensions as stock- but without the sound deadening plastic/rubber coating on the countershaft sprocket. As a side observation I've never seen as much dirt, sand, small gravel, insect bodies, built-up chain lube, and road gorp packed in the countershaft area of any bike like on the SH. But the OE chain and sprockets did last 31,000 miles over 10 years.